speedwell

US taxes while in I130/IR1/CR1 proceedings

90 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I called NVC twice today asking if I file an extension for taxes, is it ok if I just submit a copy of that towards I-864. Both times the rep told me that yes in that case I should submit a copy of 2011 tax return, a copy of extension for 2012, and a letter explaining that I filed for an extension and blah...

So my plan is that I will file for an extension, and do the tax return after my wife is here in the US (which should hopefully be before Oct 15).

Filed: Timeline

I'm in a similar boat too. My wife has her interview early may with the embassy in the Philippines and I want to file a tax extension so when she is here I can file jointly but she doesn't have a ssn or a itin yet. Would I have to file a W7 with the extension or just the extension by itself with NRA on place for her SSN?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I'm in a similar boat too. My wife has her interview early may with the embassy in the Philippines and I want to file a tax extension so when she is here I can file jointly but she doesn't have a ssn or a itin yet. Would I have to file a W7 with the extension or just the extension by itself with NRA on place for her SSN?

That's a good question. I was just thinking of leaving it blank here..... anyone correct me if I am wrong?

That's a good question. I was just thinking of leaving it blank here..... anyone correct me if I am wrong?

I think you should use NRA. You will submit the W-7 to Austin as part of your married filing joint paperwork later.

Remember that you must pay any tax you expect to owe by the deadline of April 15 (i.e. with your extension paperwork) to avoid penalties later.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

So according to the IRS we need an ITIN to file his taxes, even separately. I know everyone on here says he doesn't, but he's annoyed and doesn't want to pay for turbo tax when he can normally get it for free because he has a military W2. So he's going on monday to get an extension, of which I'll bring proof to the interview and we'll do the taxes once I get there an get an SSN.

So frustrating.

The IRS call center reps are often wrong (really, you didn't learn this about government call centers yet? ;) ). You need an ITIN to file taxes for him only if he made taxable income in the United States, or you are filing jointly/he elects to be treated as a resident for tax purposes, or you have other nonstandard considerations, such as if he served in the US military and was paid by them (this counts as being paid in the US).

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

The IRS call center reps are often wrong (really, you didn't learn this about government call centers yet? ;) ). You need an ITIN to file taxes for him only if he made taxable income in the United States, or you are filing jointly/he elects to be treated as a resident for tax purposes, or you have other nonstandard considerations, such as if he served in the US military and was paid by them (this counts as being paid in the US).

Ugh, I'm asleep. You're the beneficiary. Same thing, in high heels and backwards. :) He needs an ITIN for you only if you have a reason to be treated as a resident for tax purposes, in essence.

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

Well on monday he's going storming down to the IRS office to get it figured out. We're not getting an itin. I've already filed my taxes up here. Also he's getting a substantial refund apparently. Not sure how he knows this. Lol.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Just thought I would throw in a report, I sent my 1040,w-7,related documents in the first week of March filing jointly, have not heard a peep yet from IRS, has anyone else filed this way for 2012 and heard anything back yet?

Thanks for your input, :whistle:

I think it can take up to 8 weeks to get the ITIN (what the w7 and docs were for I'm assuming).

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If you are due a refund, you can check the status of the refund three to four weeks after the IRS receives your tax filing. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Checking-the-Status-of-Your-Refund

LATEST STEPS:

If you are due a refund, you can check the status of the refund three to four weeks after the IRS receives your tax filing. Follow the instructions here:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Checking-the-Status-of-Your-Refund

Yah thats where I have been checking and nothing shows up, I called and the person I talked to said they do the ITIN process first and then the 1040. could take up to 4 to 8 weeks. Just curious if anyone else here filed the same way.

The IRS call center reps are often wrong (really, you didn't learn this about government call centers yet? ;) )

Actually I never bothered to call the government call centers except the NVC and honestly I just leave them alone until a week or so has passed until I last sent them something. LOL

He doesn't necessarily believe them either though so that's why he's going down to the IRS office. But if you understand that he was US Air Force for 8 years, it's hard for him to just say to the government "you're wrong. " LOL ;)

Edited by NikiR

GOOD LUCK to all filers today!!!

LATEST STEPS:

Just wanted to put an update in on my filing jointly with w-7 form with related ID documentation. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! lol I finally got someone today at the IRS to actually get off the internet and onto their network to see what was going on with my 1040 amd w7, I sent it out March 3rd and have not heard anything, my fault for not sending certified mail so I wasn't even sure if they got it, well she found out that it got rejected and supposivly they sent out a c-567 type of letter april 10, but I still have not recieved anything. I sent my wifes cerified copy of her civil birth certificate and her voters ID, two documents that were suppose to work?? for ID requirements.

We did not want to send her passport for numerous reasons. If I had to do it all over again I would have filed married , seperate instead of married, jointly.

The lady that was so kind to help could not tell why it was rejected but at least I know someone from the IRS actually had their hands on my forms. So I am hoping to recieve some kind of letter from the IRS as to what exactly is going on.

Thanks, :bonk::blink::crying::whistle:

Just wanted to put an update in on my filing jointly with w-7 form with related ID documentation. WHAT A NIGHTMARE!!! lol I finally got someone today at the IRS to actually get off the internet and onto their network to see what was going on with my 1040 amd w7, I sent it out March 3rd and have not heard anything, my fault for not sending certified mail so I wasn't even sure if they got it, well she found out that it got rejected and supposivly they sent out a c-567 type of letter april 10, but I still have not recieved anything. I sent my wifes cerified copy of her civil birth certificate and her voters ID, two documents that were suppose to work?? for ID requirements.

We did not want to send her passport for numerous reasons. If I had to do it all over again I would have filed married , seperate instead of married, jointly.

The lady that was so kind to help could not tell why it was rejected but at least I know someone from the IRS actually had their hands on my forms. So I am hoping to recieve some kind of letter from the IRS as to what exactly is going on.

Thanks, :bonk::blink::crying::whistle:

ugh, thanks for reporting in. I hope it is something very fixable like forgetting to fill out something on the form.

LATEST STEPS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.