farru83

Fiancee coming to USA in a month, got a quick question.

51 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

I feel like I'm missing something here. AP is for travelling outside of the states before you receive your green card. Why would Canada be any different than other countries? I assume the destination country is of no consequence.

Exactly, don't leave the USA without AP. The US is big, there are so many very very cool places to visit. If you leave without AP, then you have to be separated from your spouse for 10 months again... A 2 weeks vacations is not worth this I guess.

Good luck!

Good luck in your visa journey!

From the day we sent I-129F to the day I recieved my K-1: Exactly 9 months
I am the benifeciary

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you need a visa to get to Canada, then you cannot travel to Canada with just AP. People have been turned away because they require a visa until the point they get a GC.

If you are from a country that has visa-free travel to Canada, or if you have a Canadian visa, then you can travel to Canada on AP.

If they are adjusting from K1 to AOS and have received their AP card, then they can travel to Canada with the AP card and their valid passport

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Timeline

I feel like I'm missing something here. AP is for travelling outside of the states before you receive your green card. Why would Canada be any different than other countries? I assume the destination country is of no consequence.

That is correct. You need a valid AP card and your passport to come back into the US. You have to be paroled back in. You are in a period of authorized stay once your AP card has been issued and you are still waiting for the GC.

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

If they are adjusting from K1 to AOS and have received their AP card, then they can travel to Canada with the AP card and their valid passport

No, people on this site have been denied entry to Canada with this combo. They are not LPRs and do not get that benefit with only AP.

Canadian citizens can do this, yes. Not people from countries that require a visa to Canada.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

No, people on this site have been denied entry to Canada with this combo. They are not LPRs and do not get that benefit with only AP.

Canadian citizens can do this, yes. Not people from countries that require a visa to Canada.

Ahh okay thanks for the clarification. Good to know

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.