jdclover

St Luke's and Vaccinations

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filed for a K1 visa, almost done. My fiance went to St Luke's over the last 2 days. On day one they told her her BP was high, it was apparently 190/ 130 said they might refer her to a cardiologist. She came back the 2nd day and for the vaccinations, they are saying they won't release the medical until she has the vaccines done and they won't give her the vaccines because her BP is too high. From what I was reading, for the K1, the vaccinations aren't required before coming to the US, they are just a recommendation but that she should have them done by the time the AOS is filed. She needs 2 vaccines, the MMR and I didn't quite catch the other one, I'll update this post once I clarify. I didn't think BP would affect actually getting vaccinations either, so I'm confused on why they won't give her the vaccines and why they won't release her medical considering the vaccines aren't required. Could someone please verify how strict St Luke's actually is? Should I call them or have her get a 2nd opinion from someone else at St. Luke's? Any help would be appreciated, I'm due to arrive on Feb 25 the day before her interview, but I'd rather that the medical didn't end up delaying anything.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Filed for a K1 visa, almost done. My fiance went to St Luke's over the last 2 days. On day one they told her her BP was high, it was apparently 190/ 130 said they might refer her to a cardiologist. She came back the 2nd day and for the vaccinations, they are saying they won't release the medical until she has the vaccines done and they won't give her the vaccines because her BP is too high. From what I was reading, for the K1, the vaccinations aren't required before coming to the US, they are just a recommendation but that she should have them done by the time the AOS is filed. She needs 2 vaccines, the MMR and I didn't quite catch the other one, I'll update this post once I clarify. I didn't think BP would affect actually getting vaccinations either, so I'm confused on why they won't give her the vaccines and why they won't release her medical considering the vaccines aren't required. Could someone please verify how strict St Luke's actually is? Should I call them or have her get a 2nd opinion from someone else at St. Luke's? Any help would be appreciated, I'm due to arrive on Feb 25 the day before her interview, but I'd rather that the medical didn't end up delaying anything.

Hi jdclover, your fiance's BP is high from normal, probably because she got nervous or what. Is she hypertensive? Having this said condition should be referred to a cardiologist. When it comes to the vaccines, St Lukes will not give it until your fiance is cleared for her medical/physical exams.

June 2008 - We Met
August 21, 2009 - formal relationship started
November 2009 - First Meeting
May 2010 - Second Meeting
May 2011 - Third Meeting
Feb 06, 2012 - Sent I-129f Package
Feb 09, 2012 - NOA1 received
May 2012 - Fourth Meeting
Aug 01, 2012 - NOA2 approved
Nov 08, 2012 - Medical at St Lukes
Nov 13-15, 2012 - Sputum Smear (NEGATIVE)
Jan 15, 2013 - Sputum Culture (NEGATIVE), PASSED
Jan 28, 2013 - Visa Interview PASSED
Feb 01, 2013- Visa On Hand

AOS

May 31, 2013 (Day 0) - AOS Package Sent
June 10, 2013 (Day 10) - Received E-Notification for AOS, EAD and AP
June 14, 2013 (Day 14) - Received NOA1 via mail
June 15, 2013 (Day 15) - Received Biometric Appointment
July 02, 2013 (Day 32) - Biometrics done
July 23, 2013 (Day 53) - USCIS Website AOS status from "Acceptance" to "Testing and Interview"

July 30, 2013 (Day 60) - USCIS Website AOS status Testing and Interview - August 29, 2013

July 31, 2013 (Day 61) - Received NOA mail for Interview

August 06, 2013 (Day 67) - USCIS Website EAD status "Card Production"

- USCIS Website AP status "Post Decision Activity - Approved Application"

August 13, 2013 (Day 74) - USCIS website EAD status " Card Mailed to the address on file"

August 17, 2013 (Day 78) - EAD/AP card on hand

August 29, 2013 (Day 90) - Interview Day @ 10:15am

- Green Card Production

Timeline

Hi jdclover, your fiance's BP is high from normal, probably because she got nervous or what. Is she hypertensive? Having this said condition should be referred to a cardiologist. When it comes to the vaccines, St Lukes will not give it until your fiance is cleared for her medical/physical exams.

They told her she should see a cardiologist and come back in a week. Would a primary care physician not work? Her family does have a history of high BP, but I assumed a family or internal medicine doctor could just prescribe inderal or propanolol to help lower her BP. What are costs associated with a Cardiologist in the PI? Can she go to just a primary care provider and have them prescribe some anti hypertensive meds or does she need to go to a cardiologist? The interview is on Feb 26, so I want to get the medical stuff taken care of ASAP since I fly in for the interview and was planning on flying back with her once the visa was received.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She needs to see a cardiologist. She'll probably be prescribed to take medicine that could help lower her BP. Just make sure she brings the prescription when she goes back to SLEC.

Timeline

She needs to see a cardiologist. She'll probably be prescribed to take medicine that could help lower her BP. Just make sure she brings the prescription when she goes back to SLEC.

She says they referred her but didn't give her a name or form, just told her she needed to find her own Cardiologist. On that note, anyone know any Cardiologists in Caloocan City near Monumento or the surrounding area? I've found some in Quezon City at St Luke's but having difficulty finding some more local to her.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She says they referred her but didn't give her a name or form, just told her she needed to find her own Cardiologist. On that note, anyone know any Cardiologists in Caloocan City near Monumento or the surrounding area? I've found some in Quezon City at St Luke's but having difficulty finding some more local to her.

She can just inquire at the nearest hospital in her area. Cardiologists are not to find.

Basic consultation fee may start at 500 pesos (more or less).

Edited by apple21

Timeline

My fiancee was at St. Luke's last week and she has high BP... Her's was 130/100 when they took it.... She also takes medication for it.

She had to have some type of cardiac test done.... I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs for 2 days.... She passed!!!

Your fiancee needs to go back to St. Luke's and ask them what it is that she needs to do, and if they can help her....

Timeline

My fiancee was at St. Luke's last week and she has high BP... Her's was 130/100 when they took it.... She also takes medication for it.

She had to have some type of cardiac test done.... I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs for 2 days.... She passed!!!

Your fiancee needs to go back to St. Luke's and ask them what it is that she needs to do, and if they can help her....

She went to a Cardiologist yesterday and was told to change her diet and was also prescribed meds. She then is supposed to go back in a week.

As another questionOnce she goes back to SLEC after getting the ok from the cardiologist, how long does it take SLEC to get the papers to the embassy. Her interview is Feb 26, I arrive Feb 25, I'm hoping she gets the ok from SLEC on Feb 20 or Feb 21, is that enough time for SLEC to send the embassy what they need? I read on here that someone had finished their Medical 2 days before their interview, so I assume the 21st wouldn't be too late.

Timeline

She went back to SLEC today and her BP is at 140/100 and they're saying they still won't give her the immunizations till she brings it under 140 on the top or 100 on the bottom. Now she has to go back Friday and the interview is on Tuesday. Say she passes on Friday, is that enough time for the info to get to the US embassy?

She went back to SLEC today and her BP is at 140/100 and they're saying they still won't give her the immunizations till she brings it under 140 on the top or 100 on the bottom. Now she has to go back Friday and the interview is on Tuesday. Say she passes on Friday, is that enough time for the info to get to the US embassy?

Yes, that can be enough time for St. Lukes to process her medical, send it to the Embassy, and for the medical to find it's way to her Embassy case file. However, she should alert St. Lukes to the time issue when she goes in on Friday. St. Lukes may want her to carry her own medical file to the Embassy and submit it during her interview.

Best wishes!

Timeline

Yes, that can be enough time for St. Lukes to process her medical, send it to the Embassy, and for the medical to find it's way to her Embassy case file. However, she should alert St. Lukes to the time issue when she goes in on Friday. St. Lukes may want her to carry her own medical file to the Embassy and submit it during her interview.

Best wishes!

Thanks I'll let her know that. I'm just irked that it's so close to the interview and her BP is so close to being under what it needs to be.

Timeline

Everything was ok on Friday, her medical was finished and sent to Embassy. Had interview on Tuesday, which I had traveled here for, and we passed, and we're approved and I'm so stoked now. Just need to do CFO and wait for Visa now.... Return flight had already been booked for march 9 so it looks like I won't need to rebook both of those now. Woot Woot.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.