Edward Dizon

Marrying someone in the Philippines

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone

I got engage recently with my girlfriend were been together for 2 years now we met online and finally we decided to get married. We wanted to have our wedding in the Philippines instead here in the US that way i will just have to file a cr1 visa instead of k-1. I am a dual citizen filipino/american and she is a filipino citizen. what are the requirements for us to have a civil wedding. i heard from other people that a foreign fiance has a different requirements but in my case i'm a dual citizen. I also heard that in order for you to marry someone in the Philippines you need to stay 2 weeks in the Philippines before the wedding day. I appreciate if someone can clarify this for me thanks so much in advance!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

**** Moving from CR-1 spousal visa to Phils regional forum as question is regarding Philippines law, not US immigration ****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

To marry in a foreign country, you must follow the laws in that country.

To immigrate your spouse here to the US, you must first HAVE the spouse.

These are two completely separate issues. You can research them at the same time, but don't mix up the information or requirements. Good luck.

Perú's K-1 embassy packet can be viewed in our photos.
Travel Tips for Perú (& South America)
Our Immigration Experience
Seat Guru Flight seating!
Airport Processing Times - http://awt.cbp.gov/
POE-Houston? Pictures and info.....POE-Houston (other languages)....

Attention NEW K-1 Filers: (2012) Possible 1st year costs = Possibly 3K+$ for first year including fees for mailing, documents, supplies, etc.. NOT including travel costs. Process: 1.)Apply-340$ 2.)RFE? 3.) Med-300??$ 4.)Interview-350$ 5.)Surrender passport. 6.)Get Visa. 7.)Fly here. 8.) Marry in 90 days. 9.) Submit apps to stay, work, & travel-1070$ 10.) Biometrics-More fingerprinting 11.) GREENCARD ISSUED APR 9TH, 2013-11 MONTHS FOR AOS!
I've lived in Houston for 10 years. If you have any questions about the city, please message me. :)

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You can get married in the Philippines using your Philippine citizenship "para hindi na masyadong mahirap". You guys just needs to get CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage). and I think both your birth certificates.

then you can have your fiancee inquire at any city hall where you want to get married. I would suggest na you do not tell them that you have a dual citizenship, (baka kasi makakita sila ng dollar sign). Go about the process like normal people wanting to get married.

Have her look for a few city halls, so you have your options.

HTH

😁

You can get married in the Philippines using your Philippine citizenship "para hindi na masyadong mahirap". You guys just needs to get CENOMAR (certificate of no marriage). and I think both your birth certificates.

then you can have your fiancee inquire at any city hall where you want to get married. I would suggest na you do not tell them that you have a dual citizenship, (baka kasi makakita sila ng dollar sign). Go about the process like normal people wanting to get married.

Have her look for a few city halls, so you have your options.

HTH

First of all, you don't get married in a city/municipal hall of your liking. You marry where your fiancee is living.

Second, OP, how did you get your dual citizenship? Were you born in the US to Filipino immigrants or were you born in the Philippines then immigrated to the US? Better sort out your problem by googling. This pops out first when you finally try to research http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html :)

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

First of all, you don't get married in a city/municipal hall of your liking. You marry where your fiancee is living.

Second, OP, how did you get your dual citizenship? Were you born in the US to Filipino immigrants or were you born in the Philippines then immigrated to the US? Better sort out your problem by googling. This pops out first when you finally try to research http://manila.usembassy.gov/marriage.html :)

:thumbs:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

I do know you will have to wait 10 days after getting your marriage license before you can get married. That is anywhere in the Philippines.

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Filed: Timeline

My fiance then now husband is a dual citizen too. He was born in California with Filipino parents thus making him American and Filipino.

This is what you need to do.

1.Fly to the Philippines.

2. Set an appointment with the USEM. You need to get the "Affidavit in Lieu of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry". This one costs 50 bucks. You will get the certificate on the same day.

3. Be ready with your Original birth certificate and 1x1 ID

Fiancee should complete her requirements as well. This includes, but is not limited too (depends on the mood of the civil registrar): Cenomar, birth certificate, cedula,

duly accomplished marriage license application form, 1x1 id picture

You file your application for marriage license on the city where your fiancee lives. After 10 days you can get the marriage license and can get married ANYWHERE in the Philippines. The key here is that the license application should be filed where one of the contracting parties resides.

There is nothing to lose (not even money, except for the 50 bucks) by declaring you are a dual citizen. 1, by that your Marriage Certificate will indicate that your wife is married to an American making your petition process easier than you declaring your Filipino.

They did not for more than the usual filing fee at the City Hall (Quezon City) where we applied.

All the best! For more questions, google is your best friend.

Edited by maidtotravel

As others have said you will need either a CENOMAR or Affidavit in Lieu of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry. Your fiance will need a CENOMAR. You will be able to pick up your marriage license on the 11th day after you apply. You will also have to take a Family Planning Seminar (depending on where you get your license they ask you do so before you application or during the 10 day waiting period). If either you or your fiance are 18-21 you will need signed parental permission and if 22-25 you will need signed parental advice.

My fiance then now husband is a dual citizen too. He was born in California with Filipino parents thus making him American and Filipino.

2. Set an appointment with the USEM. You need to get the "Affidavit in Lieu of the Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry". This one costs 50 bucks. You will get the certificate on the same day.

Fiancee should complete her requirements as well. This includes, but is not limited too (depends on the mood of the civil registrar): Cenomar, birth certificate, cedula,

You file your application for marriage license on the city where your fiancee lives. After 10 days you can get the marriage license and can get married ANYWHERE in the Philippines. The key here is that the license application should be filed where one of the contracting parties resides.

There is nothing to lose (not even money, except for the 50 bucks) by declaring you are a dual citizen. 1, by that your Marriage Certificate will indicate that your wife is married to an American making your petition process easier than you declaring your Filipino.

They did not for more than the usual filing fee at the City Hall (Quezon City) where we applied.

:yes:

And to add, my husband just photocopied his passport identification pages. He used that instead of birth certificate.

If you were married before, OP, bring your divorce certifiicate or your deceased wife's death certificate. Also, find on that link I previously gave to you a list of cities where the affidavit isn't accepted. If your fiancee lives in thise cities, tell her to talk to her city's registrar and find out what she can do. Don't talk to fixers. There have been really effective measures set in city and town halls now that have minimized corruption practices.

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

I have to disagree with your statement of Nothing to Lose if you declare dual citizenship. If I was you I would only claim US citizen ship if you want to get married within a couple of weeks. If you also claim filipino citizenship you will have to go to the NSO and wait on them for your Cenomar and depending on where you were born, a birth certificate.

Hello everyone

I got engage recently with my girlfriend were been together for 2 years now we met online and finally we decided to get married. We wanted to have our wedding in the Philippines instead here in the US that way i will just have to file a cr1 visa instead of k-1. I am a dual citizen filipino/american and she is a filipino citizen. what are the requirements for us to have a civil wedding. i heard from other people that a foreign fiance has a different requirements but in my case i'm a dual citizen. I also heard that in order for you to marry someone in the Philippines you need to stay 2 weeks in the Philippines before the wedding day. I appreciate if someone can clarify this for me thanks so much in advance!

hi everybody I'm in the same way as the above listing I'm getting married on Dec 23rd 2013 but here's my question my wife to be has been working in Singapore for the last 7yrs but only travels back to Phil for the Christmas holidays so after we get married what country do I use to get her I-130 started and where would the interview and medical take place-thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.