almaty

A real-life German cannibal who ate a willing victim is being immortalized on the big screen, like the fictional Hannibal Lecter, despite his legal b

11 posts in this topic

BERLIN (Reuters) - A real-life German cannibal who ate a willing victim is being immortalized on the big screen, like the fictional Hannibal Lecter, despite his legal bid to block the movie version of his gruesome crime.

"Rohtenburg" ("Butterfly -- A Grimm Love Story") is set to open in Germany on March 9 and will hope to profit from the shock and fascination the case of Armin Meiwes evoked in a transfixed public in Germany and beyond.

The movie tells the tale of fictional American criminal psychology student Katie (Keri Russell) who is drawn in by the bizarre case of a Meiwes-like character called Oliver Hartwin.

The cannibal plot of the movie, seen in a preview on Tuesday, is almost identical to real-life events. It also shows a younger Hartwin as a loner forced by a domineering mother to wear Lederhosen at school. Like Meiwes, he dreams up an imaginary friend.

Later, as a computer repairman, Meiwes's career, he is drawn to the "Cannibal Cantina" Web site in his search for a willing victim, who he finds in Simon Grombek.

"I want you to bite off my thing. Are your teeth strong enough?" Grombek asks in one of the movie's more startling lines.

Later, when the two meet at a railway station near Hartwin's half-timbered home, mirroring that of Meiwes, Grombek introduces himself with the line "I am your meat" a prelude to his slaughter.

Director Martin Weisz says the film is merely inspired by real events, but Meiwes's lawyers are not convinced.

Meiwes's lawyer Harald Ermel complains the film effectively portrays his client as a "beastly murderer," arguing the main actor could be Meiwes's twin brother and that the movie is a confusing blend of truth and fiction.

"The ending is all wrong. The victim is stabbed in a frenzy a dozen times. In reality, it was just one stroke," Ermel said.

LEGAL ARGUMENTS

Meiwes has sought to block the film's release. A German court will determine Friday whether his rights have been infringed after lawyers presented arguments Tuesday.

Ermel also believes the March release date is inappropriate as judges at Meiwes's retrial could then be considering their verdict.

The real computer repairman was sentenced to 8-1/2 years for manslaughter in January 2004.

However, Germany's Supreme Court ruled the judges had been too lenient and ordered a retrial, which started in January.

Meiwes only killed one man, unlike notorious American serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, who practiced necrophilia on and ate some of his 17 male victims, but Meiwes's case is unique because his victim wanted to be eaten.

Legal experts have focused on the case.

Meiwes's lawyers argue he is only guilty of illegal euthanasia, but prosecutors say the fact that Meiwes filmed the slaying for sexual gratification should tip the scale toward murder.

Meiwes severed his victim's ####### and they both tried to eat it, initially raw then fried. The bizarre scene is also part of the movie, Hartwin serving up the dish for a candlelit knife-and-fork meal for himself and a weakening Grombek.

When the victim fell unconscious, Meiwes took him to his "slaughter room," slit his throat, pulled out his organs and chopped off his head. In the film too, Hartwin hacks into the corpse, with a severed head in the foreground.

The movie title "Rohtenburg" is a corruption of Rotenburg, the town where Armin Meiwes lived. "Roh" is German for raw.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

.....Meiwes's lawyer Harald Ermel complains the film effectively portrays his client as a "beastly murderer,". ..

So, um, what is he then?

"The ending is all wrong. The victim is stabbed in a frenzy a dozen times. In reality, it was just one stroke," Ermel said.

O right, only one stroke, guess that makes it all ok then :P

Edited by James_and_Miranda

Naturalization

=======================================

02/02/2015 - Filed Dallas lockbox. Atlanta office.

02/13/2015 - NOA received

03/10/2015 - Biometrics

03/12/2015 - In-Line for Interview

04/09/2015 - E-notification for Interview Letter

05/18/2015 - Interview - passed!

i hate a snapper.. :angry:

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

there was lots of talk about this in Germany.

Which real story is told exactly how it is though? You gotta make it movie-material.

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Filed: Timeline
Which real story is told exactly how it is though? You gotta make it movie-material.

I understand that there are 4 hours of live tape available that the guy took slaughtering and cutting up the vic. If that ain't that movie material then I don't know what is. Would give a whole new meaning to Reality-TV... :whistle:

yeah, but you can hardly show that now, can you??

You know what I meant with that...

I-130

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
:o Where's The BEEF?

7-3-06 GREEN CARD ARRIVES IN MAIL!!!! Done for two years!!!!!!

I am here to help, even if it's just to offer my shoulder to cry or vent on... We are all in this together.!

My answers are based on personal experience, not fact.

We are on this rollercoaster ride together holding on for dear life.

:o:o:whistle:

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

yeah, but you can hardly show that now, can you??

You know what I meant with that...

I wasn't serious in any way. :no:

I know, I wasn't taking a personal offense!! :no:

I-130