Irah

IS it possible?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiance wants me to fly as soon as possible, the thing that is stopping me is my parent's application for US tourist visa. I want them to be present on my wedding day. I am on a K1 visa. If i fly so soon, this month, my parents won't be able to come on my wedding because it will take months to apply a tourist visa (2 months, the most). My dad's passport will be released on the second week of march. if they will apply second week of march, they will probably have their interview either april or may. if i will be flying by the end of feb, my 90 days will end at the end of may.

Someone suggested to us that we can get married first in the courthouse and celebrate the big ceremony (public- with family & friends) when my parents arrive. The purpose of the trip of my parents is to attend my wedding, but if we do the suggestion, i'm worried that it will affect the application of my parents and the consul will not approve it because we got married already.

any suggestions about this situation? your replies will be deeply appreciated. Thank you

June 2008 - We Met
August 21, 2009 - formal relationship started
November 2009 - First Meeting
May 2010 - Second Meeting
May 2011 - Third Meeting
Feb 06, 2012 - Sent I-129f Package
Feb 09, 2012 - NOA1 received
May 2012 - Fourth Meeting
Aug 01, 2012 - NOA2 approved
Nov 08, 2012 - Medical at St Lukes
Nov 13-15, 2012 - Sputum Smear (NEGATIVE)
Jan 15, 2013 - Sputum Culture (NEGATIVE), PASSED
Jan 28, 2013 - Visa Interview PASSED
Feb 01, 2013- Visa On Hand

AOS

May 31, 2013 (Day 0) - AOS Package Sent
June 10, 2013 (Day 10) - Received E-Notification for AOS, EAD and AP
June 14, 2013 (Day 14) - Received NOA1 via mail
June 15, 2013 (Day 15) - Received Biometric Appointment
July 02, 2013 (Day 32) - Biometrics done
July 23, 2013 (Day 53) - USCIS Website AOS status from "Acceptance" to "Testing and Interview"

July 30, 2013 (Day 60) - USCIS Website AOS status Testing and Interview - August 29, 2013

July 31, 2013 (Day 61) - Received NOA mail for Interview

August 06, 2013 (Day 67) - USCIS Website EAD status "Card Production"

- USCIS Website AP status "Post Decision Activity - Approved Application"

August 13, 2013 (Day 74) - USCIS website EAD status " Card Mailed to the address on file"

August 17, 2013 (Day 78) - EAD/AP card on hand

August 29, 2013 (Day 90) - Interview Day @ 10:15am

- Green Card Production

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your parents attending your wedding is not a 100% guarantee that they will be granted a tourist visa.

They will have to prove strong ties to the Philippines in order to get a tourist visa.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I for sure would not be counting on your parents getting a tourist visa... serious.

Your visa will expire 6 months from the date of your medical, the expiration date of the visa is printed right on it.... be in the USA before that date.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Explain to your fiance why it is important for you to stay here to help out your parents as much as possible with their tourist visa and try to plan out the timelines together with him. Hopefully he will understand and you can book your flight to the US a little closer to the expiration date of the visa (it's written there on the sticker). Communication is key. Good luck Irah. :)

I am (usually) the beneficiary.

You must be a realist here and understand the chances (as others mentioned) for your parents to be approved are really against them. Here is a simple checklist as I have tried to petition an employee while I worked in MEPZA Cebu and he was turned down for training in the USA from a Forbes 500 Co. Sponsoring. And I had a friend get turned down, parents of a friend turned down and one approved.. Here is what I know:

Do your parents have assets in the Philippines totally 1 million or more? And no your fiancee cannot start depositing money in their accounts. The Embassy knows this game and checks dates and deposit amounts. If they have over 1 million then they have over 50% chance of being approved.

If they have housing, land (deeded to them) in excess of 1 million pesos then they have a positive chance of being approved.

If they have business or employment that pays them very well (if so then the savings should reflect this) then they have a good chance of being approved.

If they traveled to other countries like Japan, Australia, N. Zealand or UK etc and did not over stay they have a chance at being approved.

Having children or family members in the RP will not even be looked at by the CO as many filipinos leave their familes for work abroad.

I wish you the best of luck. I would vote for a webcam and wifi and have them look in from afar. And in time go back and have ceremony in the RP for them if they are not approved in May.

Good luck. I just want to let you know it is not easy with some examples for you to go by. And if they have 700,000p- 1 million this is close enough for some OP's. Much less and maybe not so as the OP will believe they can earn and save this in 2 years working in the USA if they stay beyonf their Visa.

Timeline

^I really like your post, it's very neutral and objective but not discouraging. I am going through the same thing as the OP.

Even though the odds are not in our favor, sometimes miracles happen: http://www.visajourn...embassy-manila/

The chances they will be there if we apply are minimal, but the chances of them being there if we don't apply are zero. We will just hope for the best and expect the worst.

I wish you the best of luck. I would vote for a webcam and wifi and have them look in from afar. And in time go back and have ceremony in the RP for them if they are not approved in May.

We are going to do this too, whether or not my parents are approved. :)

Edited by raf.luv.leah

I am (usually) the beneficiary.

Timeline

^I really like your post, it's very neutral and objective but not discouraging. I am going through the same thing as the OP.

Even though the odds are not in our favor, sometimes miracles happen: http://www.visajourn...embassy-manila/

The chances they will be there if we apply are minimal, but the chances of them being there if we don't apply are zero. We will just hope for the best and expect the worst.

Hello Leah, I agree with you. :) It is best to try than never. We never know :) I like your thoughts, so go girl. :thumbs::) Of course, it is really best if your parents could witness the actual marriage ceremony. Marriage is considered to be one of most important milestones and blessings in our lives especially for us Filipinos. Best wishes to you and your fiance.(F)

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

no harm in trying but like other posters said not a 100%... depends with the CO and the luck of your parents... good luck!

Edited by marklovetina
N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

I wish you the best of luck in your parents getting the tourist visa. We didn't even bother to try with my wife's mother, no way was she getting a visa. No job (just a small sari sari store and making rooster leashes), no assets (she lives in a house her daughter bought and pays for her to live in). But I understand your the view of your fiancé to. When my wife was approved, I couldn't wait for her to get here any longer than we had to. Her sister, who she shared a home and business with, was trying to get her to reschedule and come later. I'm pretty sure my wife wanted to be here as soon as possible to, but was torn as she is very close with her family and we'd been apart for over a year. She didn't ask me for a delay, she just told her sister and family that I wanted her to leave as soon as possible. Had she asked for a delay, I'm not sure what I would have said, but any delay at that point would have made me sad. We'd been apart a long time, and I had told her to prepare to leave. We even had her resign her job so she could have more time to visit everyone and be ready to go. Although since its a loan business ran out of their home, I'm not sure how much of it she really stopped doing :rofl:

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

I wish you the best of luck in your parents getting the tourist visa. We didn't even bother to try with my wife's mother, no way was she getting a visa. No job (just a small sari sari store and making rooster leashes), no assets (she lives in a house her daughter bought and pays for her to live in). But I understand your the view of your fiancé to. When my wife was approved, I couldn't wait for her to get here any longer than we had to. Her sister, who she shared a home and business with, was trying to get her to reschedule and come later. I'm pretty sure my wife wanted to be here as soon as possible to, but was torn as she is very close with her family and we'd been apart for over a year. She didn't ask me for a delay, she just told her sister and family that I wanted her to leave as soon as possible. Had she asked for a delay, I'm not sure what I would have said, but any delay at that point would have made me sad. We'd been apart a long time, and I had told her to prepare to leave. We even had her resign her job so she could have more time to visit everyone and be ready to go. Although since its a loan business ran out of their home, I'm not sure how much of it she really stopped doing :rofl:

Hi Caryh. Thank you for the reply. I really wish that they could come. My fiance wants them to come too. Before my visa was approved, my fiance and my mother talked about this, both of them agreed with each other. Although he wants me to be with him already, he wants me to be present on my mom's birthday which will happen on feb28. My visa will expire on the second week of april. I plan of going there second week of march, by that time also i will be able to prepare my parents requirements for their visa. We will just try to apply, pass or not.. at least we tried. My parents already traveled in Australia last 2007, i hope this would give a plus points to the consul..

no harm in trying but like other posters said not a 100%... depends with the CO and the luck of your parents... good luck!

hi marklovetina. Thank you for the reply. yeah, we will try to apply... pass or not, at least we tried.

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

July 23, 2013 (Day 53) - USCIS Website AOS status from "Acceptance" to "Testing and Interview"

July 30, 2013 (Day 60) - USCIS Website AOS status Testing and Interview - August 29, 2013

August 13, 2013 (Day 74) - USCIS website EAD status " Card Mailed to the address on file"

- Green Card Production

Timeline

You must be a realist here and understand the chances (as others mentioned) for your parents to be approved are really against them. Here is a simple checklist as I have tried to petition an employee while I worked in MEPZA Cebu and he was turned down for training in the USA from a Forbes 500 Co. Sponsoring. And I had a friend get turned down, parents of a friend turned down and one approved.. Here is what I know:

Do your parents have assets in the Philippines totally 1 million or more? And no your fiancee cannot start depositing money in their accounts. The Embassy knows this game and checks dates and deposit amounts. If they have over 1 million then they have over 50% chance of being approved. - I don't mean to brag, but my parents have enough money to travel. But i know sometimes the consul won't be asking for this.

If they have housing, land (deeded to them) in excess of 1 million pesos then they have a positive chance of being approved. - Yes, they do have properties to show to the consul but i don't if its enough for the consul

If they have business or employment that pays them very well (if so then the savings should reflect this) then they have a good chance of being approved. -My dad is a retired gov't employee and my mom is a teacher in a gov't school.

If they traveled to other countries like Japan, Australia, N. Zealand or UK etc and did not over stay they have a chance at being approved. - They already traveled to Australia last 2007.

Having children or family members in the RP will not even be looked at by the CO as many filipinos leave their familes for work abroad. - My two brothers are already working outside the Philippines. But my grandfather, who is 92 years old, since my mother is the youngest and the only daughter in the family. She is the one who is taking care of my grandfather.

Good luck. I just want to let you know it is not easy with some examples for you to go by. And if they have 700,000p- 1 million this is close enough for some OP's. Much less and maybe not so as the OP will believe they can earn and save this in 2 years working in the USA if they stay beyonf their Visa.

Thank u for this post. I really appreciate for the time and effort for replying. It helped me alot..

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Timeline

Your parents attending your wedding is not a 100% guarantee that they will be granted a tourist visa.

They will have to prove strong ties to the Philippines in order to get a tourist visa.

Thank you for the reply apple21.I hope my parents could prove to the consul that their intention of coming to the US is just to visit & attend my wedding.

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Timeline

I for sure would not be counting on your parents getting a tourist visa... serious.

Your visa will expire 6 months from the date of your medical, the expiration date of the visa is printed right on it.... be in the USA before that date.

Thank you for yor rely Hank_, we will just try to apply.. pass or not, at least we tried... =) my visa will expire on second week of april.. i will be leaving on the second week of march...

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Timeline

Explain to your fiance why it is important for you to stay here to help out your parents as much as possible with their tourist visa and try to plan out the timelines together with him. Hopefully he will understand and you can book your flight to the US a little closer to the expiration date of the visa (it's written there on the sticker). Communication is key. Good luck Irah. :)

Hi raf.luv.leah.. My fiance is very considerate about this. He wants my parents to be present on our wedding too. He wants me to leave soon, but he does not pressure me at all. I understand that He wants us to be together but i told him that i really want them to be with me on my wedding day.. =) I hope everything goes well with our parents application leah..=)

anyway, i just want to ask, what is the meaning of OP? =) forgive me.. i don't have idea about it... =)

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Timeline

Let's just pray about this.. =) Everything will be fine..=

June 2008 - We Met
May 2011 - Third Meeting

AOS

- Green Card Production

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.