Miguel&Kendra

Notarization for Rental apartment used to create Domicile

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I am the USC, living overseas with my husband and our daughter in Chile. My husband and I are collecting our papers for the Affidavit of Support (we've gone through the I-130 and have paid the fee for the Agent and IV packet) . Since I am living in Chile I need to re-establish domicile in the US. I am using the following pieces of evidence to re-establish ties (all of which are connected to the same US address):

- document of voting registration and voting history emitted from my voting District

- current driver's license

- credit card bills

- bank statement

- copy of child's US consular birth record/passport and SSN card (showing we have made steps to create citizenship for our child)

- rental agreement with parents

- potential job offer from sister for child care services (though this would be in different city than the previous documents)

Secondary Info:

-internet quote from moving company (most likely will not be used since we are selling everything)

- internet quote from health insurance company

The rental agreement is the "corner stone" to my argument. Is there a need to legalize and/or notarize the signatures on these documents? Or can it be handed in without that? From what I've researched, the process to get a document notarized would involve traveling to the US Embassy in Santiago and having the document notarized by an officer there (since a notary public cannot notarize something outside of their jurisdiction aka my friend from Georgia who is a notary public and living in Chile cannot notarize my document). If that's the case, should I have my mother's signature as the "landlord" be present and notarized on the document in the US before I take it to have it notarized at the Embassy?

Also, is it possible to include this document at a later time (aka the Embassy interview) so that I don't hold up the submission of the Affidavit packet?

Does anyone have experience with job offers? does it just have to be a letter that stipulates that I am being offered a job or should I have her draw up a contract? Notarization for this document at well?

Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated. If you need more clarification about my situation please feel free to ask. Or if there are some suggestions of other pieces of information that would help make my case, please feel free to suggest. Thank you so much and have a great day!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

re: notary - is possible for two signatures (yours and yer moms) to have two notary blocks [one from a Vice Consul on you, one from a notary in the states on yer Mom)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

It seems like many people just use rental agreements that are signed by both parties and not notarized; I've read quite a bit about this on the Canada forum and it seems like for many that works, although of course it depends on the situation, how good your other proof is, etc.

As there are few Chile folks on the forum, I'm not really sure about the whole domicile situation here. It seems like we are almost all living abroad with our spouses so it would be good to have more info on this! Does anyone know how strict the embassy here in Chile is about the domicile issue?

Suerte!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I myself am not very clear on this either!

Sept 1, 2012: Married in Chile (USC living abroad)
Sept 17, 2012: I-130 mailed to USCIS
Sept 20, 2012: I-130 received at California Service Center
Sept 27, 2012: I-130 transferred to Missouri
October 8, 2012: NOA1 hard copy received
October 13, 2012: Transfer hard copy received
December 5, 2012: NOA2 email received (I-130 approved)
December 17, 2012: NVC says they've received the case
December 28, 2012: NVC case number assigned
December 31, 2012: NVC email with AOS bill and DS-3032 received
January 2, 2013: DS-3032 emailed to NVC
January 2, 2013: AOS bill paid online
January 2, 2013: Received cover sheet for AOS by email
January 10, 2013: Received email confirmation for DS-3032
January 11, 2013: Received email invoice for IV bill
January 15, 2013: Mailed AOS packet from Chile
January 16, 2013: Paid IV bill and received email cover sheet for IV packet
January 16, 2013: Mailed IV packet
January 31, 2013: Received checklist asking for original docs even though docs were original
February 1, 2013: Asked for supervisor review
February 14, 2013: Supervisor approved our docs, said packet was sent to the embassy
February 20, 2013: Got case complete email from NVC
March 4, 2013: Got original instructions from NVC by snail mail, good thing we didn't wait, haha
March 6, 2013: Received interview date and instructions from NVC by email
April 17, 2013: Interview - approved!

Lifting Conditions

March 26, 2015: Filed with CSC

April 7, 2015 (ish?): Received NOA

July 9, 2015: Original Biometrics Appt

August 3, 2015: Returning to Chile to live happily ever after there...

Timeline

Thanks for some input ebe. Presently we are opting for the more formal route. Right now we are going to have my Mom sign and have it notarized over there (being the US) and the fly to Santiago and have it notarized at the Embassy. Hopefully I can get a more clear answer from someone, otherwise... Off to Santiago we go to have it notarized.

Filed: Country: Chile
Timeline

well, no harm in taking a trip to santiago. it's really nice now since all the people left on vacation, haha.

Sept 1, 2012: Married in Chile (USC living abroad)
Sept 17, 2012: I-130 mailed to USCIS
Sept 20, 2012: I-130 received at California Service Center
Sept 27, 2012: I-130 transferred to Missouri
October 8, 2012: NOA1 hard copy received
October 13, 2012: Transfer hard copy received
December 5, 2012: NOA2 email received (I-130 approved)
December 17, 2012: NVC says they've received the case
December 28, 2012: NVC case number assigned
December 31, 2012: NVC email with AOS bill and DS-3032 received
January 2, 2013: DS-3032 emailed to NVC
January 2, 2013: AOS bill paid online
January 2, 2013: Received cover sheet for AOS by email
January 10, 2013: Received email confirmation for DS-3032
January 11, 2013: Received email invoice for IV bill
January 15, 2013: Mailed AOS packet from Chile
January 16, 2013: Paid IV bill and received email cover sheet for IV packet
January 16, 2013: Mailed IV packet
January 31, 2013: Received checklist asking for original docs even though docs were original
February 1, 2013: Asked for supervisor review
February 14, 2013: Supervisor approved our docs, said packet was sent to the embassy
February 20, 2013: Got case complete email from NVC
March 4, 2013: Got original instructions from NVC by snail mail, good thing we didn't wait, haha
March 6, 2013: Received interview date and instructions from NVC by email
April 17, 2013: Interview - approved!

Lifting Conditions

March 26, 2015: Filed with CSC

April 7, 2015 (ish?): Received NOA

July 9, 2015: Original Biometrics Appt

August 3, 2015: Returning to Chile to live happily ever after there...

Timeline

KDH,

Thanks for letting me know. It's all about trying to find the balance between what the Embassy is going to want and what is needed. We decided to submit the rental agreement with a single notarization on the part of the landlord because it's easily done. And I will sign as the renter but without the notarization. I think I've become so used to Chileans notarizing EVERYTHING that I just assume it needs to be done. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.