Dean_De

LPR petitioning Parents

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Do allow me to ask you this question in behalf of my sister. Anyways, my sister came here in the US under a work Visa. She is a Nurse. Luckily, the agency who hired her allowed to bring her whole family here. Their whole family had been here for almost 7 years now and is already an LPR. She is now thinking of bringing our parents here. Here's the questions:

1. Can anyone give us a link or any idea on how to prepare and arrange the packet?

2. What is the Visa category?

3. What documents must be prepared from application to interview?

4. Do they have to apply for an Adjustment of Status too to be able to live permanent in the US?

5. Will my sister be able to add her to her insurance plan or she have to apply for a separate insurance plan for them?

6. My mom is a retired teacher, so if and when she would want to get some part time work ( just incase ) will they be allowed to work?

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

She cannot petition her parents while she is still a greencard holder. However, if she's been a greencard holder for 7 years, she can apply for naturalisation, then petition them. Here is the Guide for that: http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

They will be allowed to work, but your sister cannot add them to the health insurance and may need to prove that she can afford private health insurance for them to get the visa.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She cannot petition her parents while she is still a greencard holder. However, if she's been a greencard holder for 7 years, she can apply for naturalisation, then petition them. Here is the Guide for that: http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents-overview

They will be allowed to work, but your sister cannot add them to the health insurance and may need to prove that she can afford private health insurance for them to get the visa.

Thank you..I have to tell her then to do file her naturalization..I actually thought of that but wasnt sure. how long does the naturalization processing to approval take?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

totally depends on where she lives/ the local USCIS office- some places take a couple of months, some most of a year.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.