AmyWrites

Getting a security clearance when your spouse is an LPR

5 posts in this topic

Anyone ever done it? I need a security clearance, nothing too, ehh, high, just one for an internship. I'm worried my husband's LPR status will affect my application.

You won't know how you'll fare with them until you apply. I had no issues getting a security clearance and being a USC less than a year at the time of adjudication. Plenty of people with non-USC spouse and with a security clearance.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

You will be fine so long as you are honest on your SF-86/eQip forms (or your company equivalent) and report any contact you have with foreign nationals.

I have been told by my security managers that if they have a green card, you're good to go. Mine actually told me to remove one of my best friends, who is Russian, from my foreign contact list because she is an LPR (I had been reporting her regularly and they noted her U.S. address, asked me if she had her green card, I said yes, they said, "Non-issue then").

Now, if your husband had any political affiliation (like worked directly for a politician or political party), or a military affiliation (such as intelligence or special forces), they may require more details from you. Make sure your security manager knows he is Russian and a U.S. LPR. They may not even require you to list him as a foreign contact, but better safe than sorry. Better to have a clearance be delayed for being honest than be barred from ever getting one for lying. I've done so many foreign contact forms that I could write them in my sleep. :P

So long as you are honest and up front, you should be okay.

I am the USC.

The member "Khaleesi" is my beautiful wife.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband is going to have to go through this process soon as well... We're a bit worried, because he didn't get a TS/SCI clearance when we were going through K-1 process. Hopefully, it's different when you're married and your spouse is an LPR.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.