19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi there vjay :>,,

i just wanted ask for some help or advice..... im from arizona, and in here they wont let me used my married name as long as the green card haven't arrived yet with my married name on it..

so heres my question when i filled my aos i applied for my name to be change with my married name but the signature that i used is my maidens signature... also when i had my biometrics i used there my maidens signature?..,

,can anyone help me how can i change my maiden signature to my married signature :)

i wanted to have my green card with my married signature on it :>

Well it's too late now, but you just change your signature. Your signature can be "X" or "MICKEY MOUSE" and still be legal, because it's not the words you write, it's the fact that you wrote it. Your GC will have married name and the sig you used.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

I don't understand. Why were you signing things using your maiden name when you're married and you wanted to use your married name? Your married name is your name.

Timeline

Well it's too late now, but you just change your signature. Your signature can be "X" or "MICKEY MOUSE" and still be legal, because it's not the words you write, it's the fact that you wrote it. Your GC will have married name and the sig you used.

oww that means, the one that's gonna come out in my green card is my maidens signature right :> :bonk: .thank you for the respond

well im gonna have my interview on monday.. is there anyone here who had same experience caused i was thinking maybe i can ask the interviewer if i can still change it ? :blink:

Timeline

I don't understand. Why were you signing things using your maiden name when you're married and you wanted to use your married name? Your married name is your name.

oww here in arizona they wont let you used your married name as long as you dont have your green card ...

and the one that always bring with me as an i.d is my passport so they always compare everything on it.. even when i get my ssn, bank accounts, phone bills, state i.d..

so i signed my aos application and biometrics with my maiden signature :crying:

Why didn't you get a new SSN with your married name on it? I don't think you properly understand the rules, unfortunately. SSA would be the first place to start, then all the other things can be issued in married name.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

oww here in arizona they wont let you used your married name as long as you dont have your green card ...

and the one that always bring with me as an i.d is my passport so they always compare everything on it.. even when i get my ssn, bank accounts, phone bills, state i.d..

so i signed my aos application and biometrics with my maiden signature :crying:

You may have been misinformed.

You can get a Social Security card in your married name by using your passport and your marriage license if you apply at least two weeks before your I-94 expires. Social Security is a federal program. The fact that you're living in the state of Arizona has nothing to do with it. My wife (fiancée at the time), Chinook, got her Social Security card in her maiden name about three weeks after she arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Then, a few days after we were married, and before Chinook applied to adjust her status, she took her marriage certificate to the Social Security office and applied for a name change to her married name. No problem.

Also, you can open a bank account in your married name by using your passport and your marriage license. You don't need a green card to open a bank account. The bank may ask for another form of ID in addition to your passport, but that second ID can also be in your maiden name.

Chinook got a Washington State ID card in her married name before she had her green card. Are you certain that you can't get an Arizona ID card until you have a green card? Check out their website. The requirements will be there.

Timeline

You may have been misinformed.

You can get a Social Security card in your married name by using your passport and your marriage license if you apply at least two weeks before your I-94 expires. Social Security is a federal program. The fact that you're living in the state of Arizona has nothing to do with it. My wife (fiancée at the time), Chinook, got her Social Security card in her maiden name about three weeks after she arrived in the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Then, a few days after we were married, and before Chinook applied to adjust her status, she took her marriage certificate to the Social Security office and applied for a name change to her married name. No problem.

Also, you can open a bank account in your married name by using your passport and your marriage license. You don't need a green card to open a bank account. The bank may ask for another form of ID in addition to your passport, but that second ID can also be in your maiden name.

Chinook got a Washington State ID card in her married name before she had her green card. Are you certain that you can't get an Arizona ID card until you have a green card? Check out their website. The requirements will be there.

i am certain about it ,,,. we got married sept 14, 2012, my experation was dec 02... i think i went to get my ssn sep 21 and i showed them my marriage certificate ,, they said, they can only put my maiden name on it.. and i can only change it when my green card arrives i should just go there and show it to them, then they will change it.... i also went to wells fargo for me and my husbands joint ac;/count. then they said i can only used my maiden name if the ssn allows me to change it with married name then i should just come back there... or show my green card...

Why didn't you get a new SSN with your married name on it? I don't think you properly understand the rules, unfortunately. SSA would be the first place to start, then all the other things can be issued in married name.

... here in arizona they dont allow it..some of my friends in colorado and california they had been able to used they're married name but here.. they don't.. well i guess because phoenix is near the boarder .. :(

See if Hank could chip in here since he's from AZ

But like Tahoma mentioned, your state has nothing to do with it since it's Federal program

Good luck!

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

The person at SSA told you wrong.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

hi there vjay :>,,

i just wanted ask for some help or advice..... im from arizona, and in here they wont let me used my married name as long as the green card haven't arrived yet with my married name on it..

so heres my question when i filled my aos i applied for my name to be change with my married name but the signature that i used is my maidens signature... also when i had my biometrics i used there my maidens signature?..,

,can anyone help me how can i change my maiden signature to my married signature :)

i wanted to have my green card with my married signature on it :>

the name you signed doesn't really matter all that much. What matters is whether you used your married name where it asks to print your name. How did you fill in the AOS forms (ie what name did you print where the forms ask for name)?

I noticed from your timeline your EAD has been approved. Provided you used your married name to fill in the forms, the EAD will have your married name, and you can use this to get a new SS card.

When you say "in here they wont let me used my married name" is it just the SSA that you are talking about? Because as others have said, SSA is a federal agency and it doesn't make a difference which state you are in. They will accept a marriage certificate as legal proof of your name change.

For state ID, you will probably need to wait until your EAD arrives.

the card will have the signature on it that you used in your biometrics appointment, but it really doesn't matter. They will look at the name printed on the card.

BTW when you get married and you are taking your husband's name, that is your legal name from the day you get married, and you should use it from now on.

Edited by Lainie B

Timeline

See if Hank could chip in here since he's from AZ

But like Tahoma mentioned, your state has nothing to do with it since it's Federal program

Good luck!

i think becaused this is near the boarder of mexico

Timeline

the name you signed doesn't really matter all that much. What matters is whether you used your married name where it asks to print your name. How did you fill in the AOS forms (ie what name did you print where the forms ask for name)?

I noticed from your timeline your EAD has been approved. Provided you used your married name to fill in the forms, the EAD will have your married name, and you can use this to get a new SS card.

When you say "in here they wont let me used my married name" is it just the SSA that you are talking about? Because as others have said, SSA is a federal agency and it doesn't make a difference which state you are in. They will accept a marriage certificate as legal proof of your name change.

For state ID, you will probably need to wait until your EAD arrives.

the card will have the signature on it that you used in your biometrics appointment, but it really doesn't matter. They will look at the name printed on the card.

BTW when you get married and you are taking your husband's name, that is your legal name from the day you get married, and you should use it from now on.

thank you so much for the ,, info .. i myself is also getting confused.. :bonk: ... a member here in vj,, bigdog is his, name he gave me a message saying i can ask this one to the interview .. and he said they will let me used my married name( just in case i didn't file my aos using it )and i can also tell them im going to change my signature :.>. so i guess ill just have to wait until monday :> :wacko:

thank you so much for the ,, info .. i myself is also getting confused.. :bonk: ... a member here in vj,, bigdog is his, name he gave me a message saying i can ask this one to the interview .. and he said they will let me used my married name( just in case i didn't file my aos using it )and i can also tell them im going to change my signature :.>. so i guess ill just have to wait until monday :> :wacko:

Ah I see now you have an interview coming up. Yes if you submitted all forms and PRINTED your name using your maiden name (signature doesn't matter, i's what you printed when you filled in the forms) you can ask them to change it to your married name for your green card.

Timeline

Ah I see now you have an interview coming up. Yes if you submitted all forms and PRINTED your name using your maiden name (signature doesn't matter, i's what you printed when you filled in the forms) you can ask them to change it to your married name for your green card.

owww yes i do,, its on monday :>,,, :thumbs: i will definitely ask them about my signature, thank you :>

ill post here on monday what happen to the interview.. and in the signature

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.