mamaronga

Registering with Selective Service?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi VisaJourney community---I have a quick question about registering for the Selective Service and applying for US Citizenship:

In the VisaJourney Guide for US Citizenship it states the following:"If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send: A 'Status Information Letter' from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-8888 for more information). "

My husband came to the US on a K-1 Visa in August 2009. He was born in Oct. 1983. He adjusted status in January 2010.

I remember checking it out to see if he needed to register for the selective service at the time of our paperwork for Adjustment of Status, and I remember us deciding we didn't need to do so. But now I'm having second thoughts... he was 26 when he adjusted status, but turned 27 that same year. We've heard that as long as you turn 27 that same year, you're considered 27 for that entire year and don't need to register for the selective service. But he entered the US for the first time when he was 25 (and turned 26 soon after)--however, he was only on a K-1 visa at that time, and didn't adjust status until the next year (January, the year he turned 27 in Oct.)

Can someone help clarify if my husband needs to (or needed to) register for the Selective Service?

If yes, and we messed up, what can we do to remedy the situation so that he can get citizenship? What is the 'Status Information Letter' and how do you get it? (Has anyone had this experience?)

Many many thanks for your thoughts and advice!!

Claire

Dec. 15, 2008- I-129F mailed in

Dec. 18, 2008- Received by VSC

Dec. 18, 2008- NOA1 issued by VSC

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

Dec. 24, 2008- NOA1 received in mail

Apr. 9, 2009- NOA2 issued by VSC

Jan. 1, 2009- Fiances re-united! :)

.... (need to find data)

Aug. 17, 2009 POE in Miami

Oct. 30, 2009 Submitted AOS

Dec. 18, 2009 Email about approval of Advance Parole and issuance of EAD

Jan. 14, 2010 AOS interview and approval

Jan. 21, 2010 (approximately!) Green Card received in the mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here is what they mention in N-400:

"Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?"

Your hubby came on K-1 visa ( which is non-immigrant visa ). Like he became PR in Jan 2010, thats mean he was 26+ at that time. If this is the case, he is fine.

XrVRp5.png

since he got his PR when he was 26 it's not a problem. the age is from 18 to under 26 but . go to http://www.sss.gov/Status.html you need to submit a from and based on the document you submit, they gonna issue for you a letter to keep it for your record. if you need more information let me know. but it's not necessary , the IO can figure it out him/herself

Edited by myafi1985

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Timeline

since he got his PR when he was 26 it's not a problem. the age is from 18 to under 26 but . go to http://www.sss.gov/Status.html you need to submit a from and based on the document you submit, they gonna issue for you a letter to keep it for your record. if you need more information let me know. but it's not necessary , the IO can figure it out him/herself

Thanks for your quick responses!

So yes, according to the link you sent:

"No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for :

• Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa

For example, if the man entered the United States as an F-1 student visa and remained in that status until his 26th birthday, he would need to provide documentation indicating that he was admitted on an F-1 visa and attended school full-time as required. Acceptable documentation for this situation include a copy of his I-20 form or a letter from the school he attended indicating his full-time attendance as a non-immigrant alien. The same thing applies for all non-immigrant statuses."

so this makes me think he did NOT need to register. Because he was on his K-1 visa until his 26th birthday.

Therefore, for Q 34 of N 400,

"Are you a male who live in the US at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays in any status except as a lawful non immigrant?"

So should he answer "NO" for this question....? (isn't being on a K-1 visa a lawful non immigrant?) According tome, link you sent me, "No status information letters are required from the Selective Service System for : Non-U.S. male on a valid non-immigrant visa"

Or does he have to answer "YES" and request and file the Status Information Letter from Selective Service? (I hope not, because they state on their website that it's a 3 month turn around time!!!)

Thanks so much for your help!!

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

Timeline

I just re-checked, and K-1 is indeed a "nonimmigrant visa". http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

Therefore, he can check the "No" box for Q 34 and forget about the "Status information Letter", am I correct?

Thanks a lot!!!

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

Yup, u r correct , and good luck

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I just re-checked, and K-1 is indeed a "nonimmigrant visa". http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2994.html

Therefore, he can check the "No" box for Q 34 and forget about the "Status information Letter", am I correct?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hi there, just to be on the safe side just go to the Selective Service website http://www.sss.gov and request the Status Information Letter. that way, you are playing it safe cos you will not want to go for your interview and they will ask you to go bring that letter from Selective Service.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We were exempt from that because of that male only thing, but now I hear on the news by sending women into battle, that male only is going to be changed or may be changed to male or female for selective service registration.

Selective service was an afterthought, and executive decision not even mandated by congress. If any president, such as Bush countered that and used selective service to re-establish the draft, wouldn't last in office five minutes. To put it bluntly, selective service registration is a very bad joke, except for the USCIS, they take this very seriously.

But from what you said, your husband is fine, he did not have to register.

My own three born here sons received a post card from selective service, we know you just turned 18, we know this is your correct address, we know your SS number, if you do not sign and return this prepaid post card, we can hit you for as much as a $10,000.00 fine.

Back in my day, was drafted, because my old man deserted me and didn't send me to Harvard, guess which guys are running our country today, a bunch of spoiled brats.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Hi Gboree,

I'm usually all for being on the safe side but the Selective Service site says it takes 3 months to get the status info letter...I'd prefer to not wait that long for something we don't actually need...

Why do you think they'll ask for it at the interview...if we can prove that my husband was on a K-1 visa in his 25th year, and adjusted status in his 26th year, so was already too old to register?

thanks

Claire

Hi there, just to be on the safe side just go to the Selective Service website http://www.sss.gov and request the Status Information Letter. that way, you are playing it safe cos you will not want to go for your interview and they will ask you to go bring that letter from Selective Service.

Dec. 23, 3008- Touched

.... (need to find data)

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

I apologize for undigging this thread, but I was also looking for information regarding SSS registration for AOS applicants, and it seems that upon acceptance of I-485, USCIS automatically registers the applicant with selective service, so no further action is required:

SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION. The following applies to you if you are a male at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old, who is required to register with the Selective Service System: "I understand that my filing this adjustment of status application with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services authorizes USCIS to provide certain registration information to the Selective Service System in accordance with the Military Selective Service Act. Upon USCIS acceptance of my application, I authorize USCIS to transmit to the Selective Service System my name, current address, Social Security Number, date of birth and the date I filed the application for the purpose of recording my Selective Service registration as of the filing date. If, however, USCIS does not accept my application, I further understand that, if so required, I am responsible for registering with the Selective Service by other means, provided I have not yet reached age 26."

Pretty handy!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.