cwaf

travel internationally with 2 year old?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife is from Ukraine and has become a US citizen in 2012. YAY! Her niece came from Ukraine 1 1/2 years ago to marry a US citizen. She brought her 9 month old son with her, registered in her Ukrainian passport. She married and they filed the AOS. She had her interview scheduled, and humorously enough, so did her son! (They ended up combining both "inteviews" into one when she showed up with her 2 year old son). She and her son now have their PR cards. They, and her new husband, are planning a trip back to Ukraine to visit family in 3 or 4 months. I know that she can travel with her Ukrainian passport, her PR card, and her marriage license. (my wife did this several times). My questions is what will be required for her 2 year old son? He does not have a passport of any kind. When my wife and stepdaughter traveled back to Ukraine for the very first time, the airlines stated that my stepdaughter HAD to have a passport number entered into the system, and that the system would not allow her to use the same passport number that was registered to my wife. My stepdaughter had already turned 18 and her Ukrainian international passport expired on her 18th birthday. The airlines accepted the expired passport number for their system, and then my wife had to do a lot of explaining when they arrived in Kiev. Ukraine finally allowed my stepdaughter entry to Ukraine on her expired passport, but warned that she could not leave the country unless she had a valid, current Ukrainian passport. Fortunately, they were visiting family for 3 weeks, and they knew someone who knew someone who knew someone that, for the right amount of money, would expedite a passport in time for her return to the USA! My wife's niece situation is slightly different because her son was only 9 months when they left Ukraine and he never had a Ukrainian passport. Does anyone have an idea (from experience) that can explain what problems they will have, if any?

thanks!

Jan 26, 2012...mailed N-400 for wife

Feb 2, 2012..check cashed

Feb 3, 2012 NOA email and text message

Feb 7, 2012 NOA hard copy in mail

March 14, 2012 email stating in line for interview scheduling

March 15, 2012 email stating the interview was scheduled and we should be receiving the letter

3-17 interview letter in the mail--scheudled for 4-19-12

4-19 Wife passed interview! Oath to be scheduled

5-24 Oath ceremony! new US citizen

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

They should be able to get a Ukrainian passport for the 2 year old from the Ukraine Consulate/Embassy.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Interview date:10/20/09...We are Pink!

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Stateside Feb 3rd. 2010. POE: JFK

Married Feb 20th, 2010

===================================

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

Biometrics 5/7/10 (Appointment Letter Recvd 4/27/10)

I485 transferred to CSC 4/30/10

Email received, AP and EAD approved 6/17/10.

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

Email, Card production ordered 8/16/10.

GC in Hand 8/27/10

=========================================

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

They should be able to get a Ukrainian passport for the 2 year old from the Ukraine Consulate/Embassy.

Are you talking about before they leave the USA or returning from Kiev?

March 15, 2012 email stating the interview was scheduled and we should be receiving the letter

Timeline

Are you talking about before they leave the USA or returning from Kiev?

Before they leave the US. I am assuming he has a Ukrainian birth certificate.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

Before they leave the US. I am assuming he has a Ukrainian birth certificate.

yes, he has a Ukrainian birth certificate. So they need to track down a Ukrainian Embassy out in California around the Sacremento or San Francisco area.

yes, he has a Ukrainian birth certificate. So they need to track down a Ukrainian Embassy out in California around the Sacremento or San Francisco area.

I found one in San Franciso. I will pass along that information to them. Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

As required by Ukrainian law her minor son is listed in her passport. He will travel with her and use her passport and HIS green card to re-enter the US. Not a problem at all. Our youngest son had the same situation until he was old enough to have his own Ukrainian passport. You must be 18 to get your very own Ukrainian "Zagranpassport" (international passport) You can get a valid travel docment and internal passport at age 16.

He will be a US citizen before he is 16

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No, he is too young by Ukrainian law. He needs to be listed in his mother's passport as he is. Non Issue.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

NOTE:

If she had a letter from the birth father allowing her son to relocate to the USA, BRING IT WITH HER! She will need it to leave Ukraine with her son untl he is age 16 regardless of his USA immigration status. DO NOT lose that letter. We were asked for it each time we left with Pasha until he was age 16

If the child's father was not listed on the birth certificate and she did not need that letter, then no worries except bring a copy of the child's birth certificate to show their is no father listed OR her "certificate of no father" if she obtained one

Gary And Alla

Timeline

No, he is too young by Ukrainian law. He needs to be listed in his mother's passport as he is. Non Issue.

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Here's some thing I found from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_passport

International Passports are issued only to citizens aged 18 and older (16 and older in case of permanent foreign residency). Prior to that age, Ukrainian citizens can get a Travel Document of a Child (PR type) similar in appearance to the passport. It is valid for 3 years, and has only 8 pages. In some rare case Ukrainian citizens are allowed to have International Passport before the age of 18 or 16, but it also is valid for only 3 years. If a child holding Ukrainian citizenship has been adopted by a foreign citizen — he or she may get regular International Passport, which is valid for 10 years, just as for adults, instead of getting Child Travel Document.

Visa K1

NOA1 02/23/09

NOA 2 07/14/09

NVC out 07/24/09

P3 08/17/09

P3 Out 08/19/09

P4 09/10/09

Visa Picked up 10/22/09

Married Feb 20th, 2010

AOS sent 4/6/10

NOA1 4/13/10

AP received 6/25/10.

EAD received 6/28/10

GC in Hand 8/27/10

I-751 Mailed 6/22/12

Biometrics 7/20/12

Approved 2/14/13

GC in Hand 2/21/13

Timeline

Thanks. I stand corrected.

Here's some thing I found from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_passport

Thanks.

We actually tried to get a passport and/or travel document before age 16 through the Ukrainian consulate in New York with -0- luck. It was going to require another trip to Ukraine to register his permanent residency here or some such nonsense...which may or may not be accurate. By then Pasha was going to be 15 years old and we had just one more year (one summer trip) to wait anyway. We finally gave up and Pasha just traveled with Alla until he was 16. At age 16 he received a travel document with no issues. It is correct, it looks just like a passport. He is now a US citizen and though he has the Ukrainian travel document and internal passport, he has made two trips to Ukraine by himself since becoming a US citizen and just uses his US passport now.

We never had any problem with him traveling with Alla and returning using her passport and his green card.

Gary And Alla

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Thanks.

We actually tried to get a passport and/or travel document before age 16 through the Ukrainian consulate in New York with -0- luck. It was going to require another trip to Ukraine to register his permanent residency here or some such nonsense...which may or may not be accurate. By then Pasha was going to be 15 years old and we had just one more year (one summer trip) to wait anyway. We finally gave up and Pasha just traveled with Alla until he was 16. At age 16 he received a travel document with no issues. It is correct, it looks just like a passport. He is now a US citizen and though he has the Ukrainian travel document and internal passport, he has made two trips to Ukraine by himself since becoming a US citizen and just uses his US passport now.

We never had any problem with him traveling with Alla and returning using her passport and his green card.

thank you so much. I just got back to this thread and I appreciate the information. It makes it clearer for me. The niece's husband contacted the embassy in San Francisco and they told him there will be no issues. However, I did not get any of the details so I did not understand why not. Now I understand! Thank you very much, Gary and Alla!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.