IslandGuy

Future spouse will be moving out of her current country. Where do I file?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, I'm new to the forum but have been reading the different threads.

I will be marrying my Filipina finance in Bahrain this February. She is currently working in Bahrain, but she will be leaving in July to go back home to the Filippines.

I'll be using a financial co-sponser ( my Dad) as I am currently a full time student taking classes on line. I do own a home and do have money in the bank. My Dad and I may be moving to the Philippines in July for 6-7 months while we wait for her visa to come through. I was thinking about renting the house out while I am away.

Should I file in the US for her IR-1/CR-1, or should I file when I am in the Philippines? Will there be a problem with filing in March before she moves back to the Philippines? What am I missing?

I have been reading about US petitioners filing abroad having their petition wait time significantly reduced, but the last posting was in December and it is believed that the expedited service is no longer available. visajourney.com/forums/topic/357465-usc-petitioner-living-abroad/page__st__330

According to the guide, the joint sponsor must be residing in the US. I assume I would have to wait for the packet of forms received after NOA2 and to fill those out before my Co-sponser and I could go to the Philippines as the Co-sponser has to reside in the US to qualify. Is this correct?

Edited by IslandGuy

According to the guide, the joint sponsor must be residing in the US. I assume I would have to wait for the packet of forms received after NOA2 and to fill those out before my Co-sponser and I could go to the Philippines as the Co-sponser has to reside in the US to qualify. Is this correct?

From what I am reading about the definition of domiciled, my co-sponsor can be outside of the US if he shows strong ties to his house and a reason to return.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Ok you've asked a lot of questions and it's kind of jumbled so I'm going to do my best to answer, sorry if it's not clear:

Where do you live now? You mention that you're getting married in Bahrain and that your fiance will be moving back to the Philippines, but what about you? If you're in the states now you shouldn't have any problem with domicile since you'll only be going to the Philippines to wait for the visa, you're not actually moving there to stay. My advice would be to have someone in the states that can get your mail though so that you can ensure receipt. Make sure on all forms that you list your residence in the states when it asks for your address. Take a look at the I-864 and you'll see where it asks what country you reside in, you'll answer USA b/c that's your residence. Same with your father. I'm not sure about this but I don't think domicile matters for the joint sponsor, only for the primary sponsor (you). Domicile does not necessarily mean physically present, it means the place of residence, the place you call home.

You won't be able to file with the embassy in Manila since you have to be a legal resident there for 6 months. Not visiting for 6 months, have a residence there.

USC married to Palestinian lived in Doha, Qatar for seven years, in the USA since July 2013 with an eight year old and a two year old smile.png

USCIS - 37 days
12.13.12: Sent I-130 from abroad
12.16.12: Delivered to Chicago Lock Box
12.19.12: NOA1 - E-mail, MSC number
12.21.12: Case showed up online
01.25.13: NOA2
01.30.13: Email from USCIS - Post Decision Activity - Case sent to NVC
NVC - 28 Days
02.05.13: NVC Received
02.22.13: Case/IIN Received

AOS Track
02.26.13: AOS bill invoiced
02.27.13: Pay AOS bill
03.06.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.07.13: AOS package sent

IV Track
02.23.13: DS-3032 sent
03.03.13: DS-3032 re-sent for Supervisor Review
03.04.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.06.13: First DS-3032 accepted!
03.05.13: IV bill invoiced
03.06.13: Pay IV bill
03.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
03.07.13: IV package sent

03.11.13: AOS and IV Packages delivered to NVC
03.20.13: IV Package Accepted
03.22.13: Case complete
03.29.13: Interview scheduled - Email
04.02.13: Case left NVC
Consulate
04.04.13: Case received
04.08.13 - Medical
04.28.13 - Interview - Approved

05.02.13 - Visa In Hand
07.21.13 - POE (Washington D.C.)

Gearing up to apply for Naturalization in April 2016!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok you've asked a lot of questions and it's kind of jumbled so I'm going to do my best to answer, sorry if it's not clear:

Where do you live now? You mention that you're getting married in Bahrain and that your fiance will be moving back to the Philippines, but what about you? If you're in the states now you shouldn't have any problem with domicile since you'll only be going to the Philippines to wait for the visa, you're not actually moving there to stay. My advice would be to have someone in the states that can get your mail though so that you can ensure receipt. Make sure on all forms that you list your residence in the states when it asks for your address. Take a look at the I-864 and you'll see where it asks what country you reside in, you'll answer USA b/c that's your residence. Same with your father. I'm not sure about this but I don't think domicile matters for the joint sponsor, only for the primary sponsor (you). Domicile does not necessarily mean physically present, it means the place of residence, the place you call home.

You won't be able to file with the embassy in Manila since you have to be a legal resident there for 6 months. Not visiting for 6 months, have a residence there.

I saw someone recently whose AoS might have been denied due to lack of domicile proof on the co-sponsor.

There was some speculation as to what the issue was, but that was where it was leaning to and no one was objecting to it being a possibility.

So, basically, I think the co-sponsor DOES have to prove domicile in the US.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

File when you're ready by sending the petition to Chicago or Phoenix, as applicable. If you file before she moves back to the P.I. then you'll need to execute a Embassy transfer when the case gets to NVC. Sure, you can indicate she'll interview in Manila on the I-130 but NVC will initially assign it to the Consulate that serves the address on the top right of the I-130 regardless.

You and you're father will likely be VISITING the Philippines, not technically "residing" there. So, domicile should not be an issue. You just show you own homes in the USA and intend to return to your permanent residences once the spouse has her visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, time and timing always helps, aye? You've got a plan, of sorts, so that's a plus.

For further research, match up the timeticks and the intervals between the timeticks with chasing after:

1. a CR-1 visa where the I-130 is filed with the lockbox in the USA and

2. a CR-1 visa where the I-130 is filed to USCIS Manila.

IMO, the fastest bit for you will be to file the I-130 to the lockbox in the USA after you return to the USA from Bahrain.

I'll leave it to you to do the research on timeticks and queues in each timetick, for the 'why'.

Good Luck !

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.