Jump to content

How to get Advance Parole I-131 Expedited

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


My fiance and I are applying for adjustment of status in early February but need to travel overseas before a greencard will be issued - any way to expedite a request for travel on an I-131?

If you need the emergancy AP you would need to send in the documents for adjustment of status and wait until you get the NOA1's on those documents you sent then make an info pass with your nearest field office and then go there and request for an emergancy AP and bring along 2 passport photo pics 2x2. If you have not filed yet for adjustment of status and I would send that in as soon as you can because you need to wait until the NOA1's come in the mail. Good luck.

AOS Journey

11-04-2011 sent AOS to Chicago lockbox

11-07-2011 delivered

11-08-2011 Date on text messages but did not receive until 11-22-2011

11-23-2011 Check cashed.

11-25-2011 Hard copies of NOA1s

12-06-2012 Pui's Brother unexpectly passes away and we make an info pass appointment and receive an emergancy AP so she can return home. Pui leaves for Thailand for 2 weeks.

12-06-2012 Get a text message and email that she received an RFE

12-12-2012 RFE for original birth certificate. I swear we sent it along with a certificate translation of it.

12-20-2012 Pui returns from Thailand.

12-21-2012 We send the RFE back for with original birth certificate along with a new certificate of translation(I had to wait for her to return for her to sign)

12-26-2012 text and email they have received the RFE.

12-29-2012 Appointment for biometrics is 01-23-2012

01-13-2012 AP is approved.

01-23-2012 Biometrics appointment. Later during the evening the text and email saying the EAD is approved.

01-31-2012 EAD/AP combo card arrives.

05-22-2012 Email and text card is in production!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a lot of threads about others experiences about obtain emergency AP. You should be aware its not always granted even in cases where the immigrant had solid proof of the emergency- like medical letters stating a immediate family member was near death. In other cases where the immigrant had what some would consider less then a solid case it was granted.

In your other thread you posted you would be applying for AP based on business travel. This typically does not qualify for emergency AP.

To be approved for emergency travel you need to demonstrate an extremely urgent situation.

The official criteria is as follows:

Severe financial loss to company or individual

Extreme emergent situation

Humanitarian situation

Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States

Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government.)

USCIS error

Compelling interest of USCIS

So in your case perhaps your business travel may qualify as severe financial loss to an individual? But it would have to be very well documented. You would have to show with out the trip you would lose your job/income and the financial impact. This typically does not fly because the immigrant is not responsible for their own support while in the US, they are covered under the USCs affidavit of support. So it may not matter if the immigrant takes a financial hit while in the US.

But the basic procedure would be, after you have filed AOS and AP, you would either make an infopass apt and bring all your evidence for the expedite with you there, or call the 800 number and ask to expedite over the phone.

If you expedite through infopass- depending on the office, typically they will review the documents, the person in the window will need supervisor approval first before proceeding, if they get it they will fax your info to MSC who will make a decision and if its approved you will receive your travel docs in the mail in a week or so. In other rare cases infopass locations can print your travel docs right then and there- but its rare as very few infopass offices have that capability.

If you do it over the phone, the rep has to open a service request, you have to wait for someone at MSC to get back to them with a fax number where you can fax in the documents yourself, so you can either call back in a few days for it or wait for a letter in the mail with the number, once you have the number you send in you docs and the same as above- wait to see if youre approved- if you are youll get them in the mail.

If youre approved or not is up to the discretion of MSC. If youre dissatisfied or feel you did qualify you could contact your congressman for assistance. Typically if youre denied for emergency AP they wont allow you to send in the same exact application again the same way unless you have something new to add to it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.