Ryangela

Cell phones at Montreal Consulate on interview date

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone.

My interview is coming up on Thursday and I leave Vancouver airport Wednesday afternoon. Because I get into Montreal so late, I am not getting a hotel room. I will hang out at the airport for a couple of hours before heading into downtown for the appointment. For those of you that have done this before who might actually see this, what do they do with people who have cell phones? I don't really need to take it, but my wife would like me to call her as soon as I have completed the process, and I am leaving at 6pm Thursday evening, hence the lack of a hotel. We are not supposed to bring anything but I would really like to know if they just hold your cell phone for you until the appointment is over without any major hassle... If it is I will leave it at home and my wife (and everyone else)can find out later that evening which isn't ideal. thanks in advance if you can help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi,

They will just hold your cell phone in a locker on the first floor (the consulate is on the 20-something-th floor). You can get your cell phone back when you get back in the lobby. They will also hold your keys, your wallet, all electronics, and anything that they deem could pose a threat.

Also, don't bring a backpack! or else you will be required to take it to a restaurant nearby and pay a $5 fee.

The best thing to do is bring as little things as necessary. But don't worry there will be no hassle getting your things back when you are done.

Edited by Epitope

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Canada regional forum; topic is about procedures at the US Consulate in Montreal which are applicable to more than just one visa process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Hi everyone.

My interview is coming up on Thursday and I leave Vancouver airport Wednesday afternoon. Because I get into Montreal so late, I am not getting a hotel room. I will hang out at the airport for a couple of hours before heading into downtown for the appointment. For those of you that have done this before who might actually see this, what do they do with people who have cell phones? I don't really need to take it, but my wife would like me to call her as soon as I have completed the process, and I am leaving at 6pm Thursday evening, hence the lack of a hotel. We are not supposed to bring anything but I would really like to know if they just hold your cell phone for you until the appointment is over without any major hassle... If it is I will leave it at home and my wife (and everyone else)can find out later that evening which isn't ideal. thanks in advance if you can help.

You can not take ANYTHING in the consulate but your paperwork. They will turn you away if you have cell phones, purses, back packs, lap tops and even key fobs to unlock your car. When we went to our interview they turned people away for having that stuff. They went to a coffee shop down the street and as the previous poster said, they will hold your stuff for you for a fee.

USCIS- 260 Days

6/8/11~ Mailed I-130 Application, withdrew Canadian PR application
6/16/11~ NOA1 email and text message Case routed to CSC (Priority Date)
7/12/11~ The 'Money Order' Incident/Returned to Tennessee
8/03/11~ TOUCHED!
3/2/12~ APPROVED! NOA2!

NVC Electronic Processing- Montreal- 19 Days

3/21/12~ Received case number & IIN 20 Days after NOA2
3/21/12~ Sent in opt-in email
3/22/12~ Opt-in accepted
3/23/12~ DS-261 Submitted, never accepted
3/29/12~ AOS bill invoiced and paid
3/30/12~ AOS shows PAID- AOS Package emailed/received, DS-3032 emailed/accepted
4/2/12~ IV bill invoiced and paid
4/3/12~ AOS Checklist documents emailed(first time)
4/4/12~ IV shows PAID- DS-260 submitted/ IV Package emailed/received
4/4/12~ AOS Checklist documents sent again for CYA (second time)
4/5/12~ IV package accepted! No Checklists!
4/6/12~ AOS Checklist emailed(third time)
4/9/12~ AOS packet accepted (finally)
CASE COMPLETE!!

Interview 354 days from NOA1/ 362 days from initial filing date
5/29/12~ Medical@ Medisys, Montreal
6/4/12~ Interview APPROVED!!!
08/07/2012~ POE Emerson, MB/Pembina, ND by land
08/09/2012~ HOME!! 424 days from initial filing date!
08/14/2012~ SSN Received
09/10/2012~ Received Green Card

Someone might make a bunch of money opening a place close by that has lockers for rent!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Someone might make a bunch of money opening a place close by that has lockers for rent!

There is a restaurant nearby that does that

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Timeline

hey there, I do have a question...you noted that you were leaving vancouver to fly to montreal...are you from vancouver? and if so, why is your interview in montreal?!! i'm from northern BC, and was assuming my interview would be in vancouver, but based on this post, your interview isnt near where you are from?!!

Timeline

hey there, I do have a question...you noted that you were leaving vancouver to fly to montreal...are you from vancouver? and if so, why is your interview in montreal?!! i'm from northern BC, and was assuming my interview would be in vancouver, but based on this post, your interview isnt near where you are from?!!

Which Visa route are you going??? if its k1, yes it will be to Vancouver, but if it is a CR-1/Ir-1 then you and every other person in Canada going that route got Montreal

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

There is a restaurant nearby that does that

I know but it would be an advantage to have both a small hotel or bed and breakfast that serves EARLY and has lockers for rent like they do at waterparks etc. I'm thinking lockers like west ed mall where you have to input cash or a credit card...Or like parking lots in some places like Calgary. How can you tell I've lived in Alberta too long! EEK! Get me outta here! LOL!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

phewwf! ya, K1 we're going...got me worried there for a sec though!

Good luck :)

And Vancouver has different paperwork than what Mtl requires I believe, so one had to pay attention to that as well

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.