jenart

Cheap phone calls

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Which is the best company to use for calls from the UK to the US? I used OneTel but since moving and cancelling the account (we are now moving to the US) my son wants to make calls to us and OneTel have been bought out by Carphone Warehouse who charge a monthly rate and their plans are different. We just dialed a number before the number and only paid for the calls we made. US calls cost us 3p per min.

So can anyone recommend another company who only charge for calls made using their number?

Edited by jenart

For detailed timeline - click on my name - then read our story

We have an English Phone Number here in the USA as well as an American one. Most of my family and friends are connected with NTL and for all calls under one hour calling anywhere in the UK is free. My daughter calls me on the UK number on her mobile as she gets limited free minutes to land lines in the UK. I also use SKYPE, hope this helps

Lyn

Lyn ....UK

Mike ...USA

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a much better deal than 3p per minute. I tried checking out Vonage (they have seperate services for the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom) and it's £7.99 for unlimited calling anywhere within the UK, and the Republic of Ireland. For calls to the U.S., it's 2p per minute.

The U.S. gets a better deal with Vonage, in my opinion. For $24.99 USD a month, Americans get unlimited local and long-distance calling anywhere within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico -- in addition to the UK, Ireland, France, Italy, and Spain. Canada gets a similar plan for $39.99 CAD a month.

There are also alternatives to Vonage as well. Sunrocket is a lot like Vonage, and some prefer it over the former. Sunrocket, however, might only be a U.S. option, as I can't seem to find any prices in GBP. As it stands, the prices are $199 for the annual edition (that's under $17 a month), or $9.95 for the limited edition (that's less than $10 a month). Another option -- and this one is free for all users, from all over the world -- is Skype. The reason I didn't list Skype first is because it must be used while on your computer; in other words, you need a headset with a microphone and you can't use it with your phone as you would both Vonage and Sunrocket. Furthermore, Skype's calls to landlines and cell phones (within the United States and Canada) will only be free until the end of the year. After that period has expired, Skype calls will be free only when called to another Skype user, anywhere across the globe.

As with all of these VoIP options, there are some problems that should be addressed. The first is that you need a fairly healthy broadband Internet connection to get the best voice quality, to and from your call. The second is that 911 (I'm not sure what emergency numbers are like across the Atlantic) is set up differently using VoIP. The third and final issue is that if (and when) the power and/or your Internet connection goes out, so does your ability to place calls. This is why you should have a backup, such as a cell phone or a regular landline as well.

I hope some of this has been at least a little helpful. If not, well...I'm sorry. But there's a not a lot I know about phone companies in the United Kingdom, but I figured I'd give it all a shot. ;)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

When Tony was in the UK, he used http://www.toucan.com/. The cost was 9.99 pound per month. We talked for hours! Worked well for us!

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

I used toucan to!! It was great!! only 9.99 unlimited including cell phone numbers etc!!! My mum still uses it and we speak for at least an hour everyday sometimes more!! I would highly recommend it!!

09/20/05 NOA1 received
11/22/05 NOA2 received (65 days)
12/05/05 NVC received application! (say 2-4 week wait)
12/13/05 Found out forms were sent to London on 12/08/05!
12/20/05 Packet 3 received!
01/11/06 Medical - Knightsbridge London
01/18/06 Sent back packet 3!
02/15/06 Received packet 4!

02/13/06 INTERVIEW DATE 03/22/06 AT 10.30AM!! - APPROVED

Married July 29th 2006!!

08/17/2006 Filed for AOS and EAD
08/26/2006 NOA1 received for both (dated 08/24/06)
09/06/2006 RFE email.....not sure what for yet!
9/07/2006 Biometrics completed
10/13/2006 Transferred to CSC!!
11/02/2006 Approval email received!!
11/08/2006 Welcome to USA letter arrives!

11/13/2006 GREEN CARD RECEIVED - NO MISTAKES!!!!

06/06/08 Family moved back to UK!!

Husband gained UK citizenship September 2015

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Family relocating back to California

06/27/2016 I-130 Spousal Visa application sent to London Embassy

07/05/2016 NOA 1

08/31/2016 NOA 2 - case transferred to the Immigrant Visa Unit at the embassy

09/13/2016 3rd Letter received with LND number

10/14/2016 Medical

10/31/2016 Embassy interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll find a much better deal than 3p per minute. I tried checking out Vonage (they have seperate services for the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom) and it's £7.99 for unlimited calling anywhere within the UK, and the Republic of Ireland. For calls to the U.S., it's 2p per minute.

The U.S. gets a better deal with Vonage, in my opinion. For $24.99 USD a month, Americans get unlimited local and long-distance calling anywhere within the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico -- in addition to the UK, Ireland, France, Italy, and Spain. Canada gets a similar plan for $39.99 CAD a month.

There's a feature that my dad told me about with Vonage - virtual phone numbers, for £2.99 (or $4.99 if Vonage user is in the US) a month he can get a secondary "virtual" number, so when we (in the US) call this number is re-directs to his UK number at the price of a local call from here in Arizona.

http://www.vonage.co.uk/features.php?featu...al_phone_number

SKYPE! SKYPE! SKYPE!

I have a below average broadband and it works fine with mine. I did buy a voip phone especially though, it's clearer than the normal thing :D

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Just wondering, does anyone currently using SKYPE have a "delay" when talking? I had heard from a couple of people that there is a small delay. Certain calling cards have caused delay with us in the past. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to have a serious conversation and feeling the need to say "over" when finishing a sentence! :P

We just liked using toucan.com. There was no such delay and the cost was very reasonable.

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

I can't say I did with mine (at least, I don't remember), but it helps if I shut off other IM programs to keep the message clear or it can get a bit choppy.

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

We use onesuite.com 2cents per minute

ops, that's from the US to UK

AOS

09/04/05- Married

11/01/05- I-130, I-485 and I-765 applications mailed to Chicago lockbox

11/22/05- NOA

12/06/05- RFE on I-864 for medical and petitioners Birth Certificate

02/23/06- Biometrics taken for AOS and EAD

03/17/06- EAD approved

03/20/06- EAD received in mail

03/22/06- Applied for Social Security Number

03/27/06- Received Social Security Card

03/27/06- Received interview date for AOS

04/06/06- Started first job in America

04/29/06- Passed the test at the DMV, now have a state permit to drive

05/03/06- Initial Interview for AOS

05/03/06- AOS approved! I-551 stamped in passport!!

05/12/06- Welcome To America letter

05/15/06- Green Card arrived in mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lifting Conditions I-751

09/04/07 - Married 2 years

04/30/08 - Sent package

05/03/08 - Green Card expired

05/02/08 - USCIS Received package

05/05/08 - Check cashed

05/08/08 - Received Extension letter

05/17/08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter for May 31, 2008

05/24/08 - Received 2nd letter for Biometrics appointment for June 4, 2008

05/31/08 - Went to biometrics appointment on May 31, 2008, said Paul did not have to go on June 4th, computer glitch.

06/04/08 - Case was "touched"

• 4 weeks later...

We have an 0844 (local rate) number my family use. It's through Firefly Telecom.

10 year Green Card received, Next step is citizenship urgh!

When you meet the one you want to spend the rest of your life with,

you can't wait for the rest of your life to begin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Which is the best company to use for calls from the UK to the US? I used OneTel but since moving and cancelling the account (we are now moving to the US) my son wants to make calls to us and OneTel have been bought out by Carphone Warehouse who charge a monthly rate and their plans are different. We just dialed a number before the number and only paid for the calls we made. US calls cost us 3p per min.

So can anyone recommend another company who only charge for calls made using their number?

I don't know about from the uk to USA but i use IBN inter telecom to call russia all the time. i think it costs me 3 cents a minute.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.