Hopeisalive

incompetent

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Mentally incompetent, in what capacity? There have been cases in some states where parents of ( mentally challenged teens/young adults) have tried to have these young ppl tubes tied, get them a vasectomy,

or down the idea of them getting marry, some due to manipulations. fear they may be abused, they may get hurt emtionally, or may end up with a baby like themself, most times the court will take that young

person side if they are functioning in society, but if its mental as in homocidal/sucidal, meltdowns and drama they would not see this classified mental person capable to marry and petition someone.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Mentally incompetent, in what capacity? There have been cases in some states where parents of ( mentally challenged teens/young adults) have tried to have these young ppl tubes tied, get them a vasectomy,

or down the idea of them getting marry, some due to manipulations. fear they may be abused, they may get hurt emtionally, or may end up with a baby like themself, most times the court will take that young

person side if they are functioning in society, but if its mental as in homocidal/sucidal, meltdowns and drama they would not see this classified mental person capable to marry and petition someone.

makes total sense.

event.pngevent.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Some may argue that prohibiting some individuals to marry is similar to forced sterilization.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Check out the laws in your area first. But as stated already, mentally incompetent individuals often have a guardian who signs on their behalf, explain things to them, etc. It would be as if they're under 18 and need a parent's approval. Therefore, I would believe that once the guardian approves the decision (and sends a notarized letter stating that fact with the I-129F application), there might be a great chance of the person getting approved.

I would, however, suggest that this person marries first and then apply for the K3 visa instead of going the K1 visa (which may be more of a headache in getting approved.)

To see a more detailed journey schedule, please see the About Me page and my Timeline.

Our K1 Process

June 7, 2012 -- Sent I-129F to June 9, 2013 -- Religious & Civil Wedding Ceremony in CT

FROM I-129f NOA1 to VISA APPROVAL: Exactly 8 months! No RFEs

Our AOS Process

July 16, 2013 -- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP Paperwork to December 21, 2013 -- Received GC Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 4 months 27 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our ROC Process

September 21, 2015 -- Mailed ROC Paperwork to August 6, 2016 -- Received Card in the Mail!

FROM NOA1 to GREEN CARD in Hand: Exactly 10 months 10 days! No Interview or RFEs.

Our {His} N-400 Process

Eligible to Apply for Citizenship on September 14, 2016.

October 4, 2016 -- Mailed N-400 Paperwork.

November 8, 2016 -- Completed Biometrics.

May 6, 2017 -- Received Interview Letter in the Mail.

June 8, 2017 -- Interview Passed!

June 16, 2017 -- Oath Ceremony! He is a USC!!

FROM Application to CITIZENSHIP: Exactly 8 months 13 days! No RFEs.

== I am the Petitioner/Sponsor/Citizen Spouse ==

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Check out the laws in your area first. But as stated already, mentally incompetent individuals often have a guardian who signs on their behalf, explain things to them, etc. It would be as if they're under 18 and need a parent's approval. Therefore, I would believe that once the guardian approves the decision (and sends a notarized letter stating that fact with the I-129F application), there might be a great chance of the person getting approved.

I would, however, suggest that this person marries first and then apply for the K3 visa instead of going the K1 visa (which may be more of a headache in getting approved.)

CR-1 and not a K-3. K-3s are obsolete.

event.png

Well the OP posted a very simple one line question. They gave no specific details about the case or the parties involved. So I gave a general answer.

I dont disagree that people who are declared as such dont have the right to marry.

The simple facts are in order to file a K1 petition you

must be a citizen

intend to marry within 90 days

you are free to marry

and you met with in 2 years or qualify for a waiver of that requirement

So the 'hitch' here is the free to marry clause. A person deemed mentally incompetent usually is not free to marry with out the consent of their legal guardian. (unless like posted above theres a clause that allows them to marry but not control their finances)

Therefore the initial petition would only be approved if USCIS had no knowledge of the fact that the petitioner was deemed mentally unfit.

There would be further issues as the K1 process moves along, as the petitioner would have to submit the I134 aff of support, which is a contract they would be unable to legally sign on their own.

So a person deemed mentally unfit would not be able to obtain a K1 visa w/o the support of their guardian. And even with the full support of their guardian it would be a difficult case, as the fiance would have to prove to the embassy that the relationship is legitimate.

IMO if someone is in this situation, where one person is disabled and has a guardian, the easier path would be the spousal visa route. When you compare the K1 to the spousal visa route, the cost and processing time is very similar, and if the petitioner has the full support of their guardian, then it shouldnt be a problem to marry their love and have the guardian help them with the necessary paperwork to bring them to the US.

USCIS requires a medical evaluation and that has a reason. They want to make sure you are physically healthy and mentally stable. Someone who is not mentally stable is a financial burden to the spouse and state. Therefore, its does not qualify.

I suggest you read the forms carefully and call USCIS if you have any questions.

Edited by lunaboriken

11/17/2011- Sent AOS packet
12/15/2011- Received AOS packet
01/03/2012- Received NOA 1
02/07/2012- Biometrics
03/17/2012- Transfer to Missouri
04/25/2012- Transfer to Vermont
10/23/2012- Transfer to CSC
12/01/2012- AOS interview
12/03/2012- AOS approved- email notice
12/07/2012- Received Conditional GC-2014

09/04/2014- Sent I-751
09/09/2014- NOA1
09/13/2014- NOA2 for Biometrics
10/01/2014- Biometrics app
01/05/2015- ROC approval/card production
01/08/2015- Received letter in the mail of approval
01/09/2015- GC sent by 3-Day Priority Mail
01/10/2015- Received renewed card in the mail

09/04/2015- Eligible to apply for N-400 based on 3 year rule
#/#/##- N-400 sent
#/#/##- N-400 delivered
#/#/##- NOA1 received
#/#/##- Biometrics
#/#/##- Interview
#/#/##- Oath letter
#/#/##- Oath ceremony

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

USCIS requires a medical evaluation and that has a reason. They want to make sure you are physically healthy and mentally stable. Someone who is not mentally stable is a financial burden to the spouse and state. Therefore, its does not qualify.

I suggest you read the forms carefully and call USCIS if you have any questions.

Perhaps a quick re-read of the original post.... The question was "If someone is declared mentally incompetent, can they still petition for a k1 visa. - the petitioner i am asking about."

The OP wasn't asking about the beneficiary and there is no requirement for the petitioner to have a physical.

Perhaps a quick re-read of the original post.... The question was "If someone is declared mentally incompetent, can they still petition for a k1 visa. - the petitioner i am asking about."

The OP wasn't asking about the beneficiary and there is no requirement for the petitioner to have a physical.

I can reply whatever I want to share... the post is the same as not reading the papers they need to read....

11/17/2011- Sent AOS packet
12/15/2011- Received AOS packet
01/03/2012- Received NOA 1
02/07/2012- Biometrics
03/17/2012- Transfer to Missouri
04/25/2012- Transfer to Vermont
10/23/2012- Transfer to CSC
12/01/2012- AOS interview
12/03/2012- AOS approved- email notice
12/07/2012- Received Conditional GC-2014

09/04/2014- Sent I-751
09/09/2014- NOA1
09/13/2014- NOA2 for Biometrics
10/01/2014- Biometrics app
01/05/2015- ROC approval/card production
01/08/2015- Received letter in the mail of approval
01/09/2015- GC sent by 3-Day Priority Mail
01/10/2015- Received renewed card in the mail

09/04/2015- Eligible to apply for N-400 based on 3 year rule
#/#/##- N-400 sent
#/#/##- N-400 delivered
#/#/##- NOA1 received
#/#/##- Biometrics
#/#/##- Interview
#/#/##- Oath letter
#/#/##- Oath ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.