fav13259

Dual Citizenship and Marriage Effects on I-130 application

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi all,

I have dual citizenship, from Mexico and USA. I was born in US but got Mexican Citizenship through my parents who were born in Mexico. The reason I did this was so that in case anything should ever happen to them, they could leave their property there to me (as US Citizens cannot own properties in Mexico). I had been dating my girlfriend in Mexico for 6 years when we decided to get married in June of 2012. Holding both citizenships, it was easiest to get married in Mexico as a Mexican citizen, so I did, so the marriage certificate states that I am a Mexican Citizen.

My concern is that the I-130 will be rejected or the process prolonged because of this even though i provided my birth certificate and a copy of my US Passport. Has anyone ever had an issue like this? Any help to ease my concern is greatly appreciated.

I believe the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. So, you're still American for them. Just make sure they understand your situation :)

“The fact that we are here and that I speak these words is an attempt to break that silence and bridge some
of those differences between us, for it is not difference which immobilizes us, but silence.
And there are so many silences to be broken.”

Audre Lorde

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I did the same thing. I have dual citizenship and was married as a mexican due to all the complications, extra steps and cost in getting married as an American in Mexico. I sent copies of my U.S. passport and my petition was approved without any problems. Good luck on your visa journey.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

:thumbs:

I believe the US doesn't recognize dual citizenship. So, you're still American for them. Just make sure they understand your situation :)

you are correct, the united states does not allow its citizens to hold dual citizenship and therefore will not recognize your mexican citizenship because it is secondary to your US citizenship. best of luck

Marriage (if applicable):2010-12-18

I-130 Sent : 2011-10-12

I-130 NOA1 : 2011-10-18

I-130 RFE : N/A

I-130 RFE Sent : N/A

I-130 Approved : 2012-04-02

NVC

04/23/2012 - NVC Received

05/03/2012 - Case# generated

05/04/2012 - DS-3032 (COA) ( Email sent

05/07/2012 - I-864 - AOS Fee $88*2

05/09/2012 - DS-230 - IV Fee $230*2

06/15/2012 - Case Completed

07/06/2012 - Forwarded to the Consulate

Consulate

08/13/2012 - Medical

08/15/2012 - Interview

01/23/2013 - POE

02/19/2013 - 10 yr green card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.