ThrottleChunker

I-601A Provisional Waiver

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi VJ'ers! Like what this site advises, I called the NVC to check on my AOS and IV packages statuses. The NVC informed me that my case was completed on December 13th! However, I received somewhat of a puzzling email from the NVC today. They attached a letter with the subject, "I-601A PROVISIONAL WAIVER OF UNLAWFUL PRESENCE". The body reads as follows:

---------

This notice applies to you if you are currently in the United States, are or have been unlawfully present and plan to apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

Beginning March 4, 2013, certain immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may apply for a provisional waiver of inadmissibility due to unlawful presence before leaving the United States. For more information, please visit immigrantvisas.state.gov.

Before filing Form I-601A, YOU MUST NOTIFY THE NATIONAL VISA CENTER (NVC) by emailing NVCI601A@state.gov. Failure to notify the NVC that you plan to file Form I-601A will delay your visa application.

---------

Admittedly, I was alarmed when I first read the letter, but after doing some research realized it doesn't apply to me and many of us on this forum. It applies to those who have been in the US without an IV for over 6 months and have to depart to their country to finish off the IV process. I'm sure many others on this site received the same letter and hope don't get too alarmed when they receive it.

Edited by ThrottleChunker

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Hi VJ'ers! Like what this site advises, I called the NVC to check on my AOS and IV packages statuses. The NVC informed me that my case was completed on December 13th! However, I received somewhat of a puzzling email from the NVC today. They attached a letter with the subject, "I-601A PROVISIONAL WAIVER OF UNLAWFUL PRESENCE". The body reads as follows:

---------

This notice applies to you if you are currently in the United States, are or have been unlawfully present and plan to apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

Beginning March 4, 2013, certain immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may apply for a provisional waiver of inadmissibility due to unlawful presence before leaving the United States. For more information, please visit immigrantvisas.state.gov.

Before filing Form I-601A, YOU MUST NOTIFY THE NATIONAL VISA CENTER (NVC) by emailing NVCI601A@state.gov. Failure to notify the NVC that you plan to file Form I-601A will delay your visa application.

---------

Admittedly, I was alarmed when I first read the letter, but after doing some research realized it doesn't apply to me and many of us on this forum. It applies to those who have been in the US without an IV for over 6 months and have to depart to their country to finish off the IV process. I'm sure many others on this site received the same letter and hope don't get too alarmed when they receive it.

If it doesn't apply to you, ignore it. This was sent to all open cases whether it applied or not. Check out the news for the new policy.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Same exact thing happened to me. I received the email last night at 10:47 pm. I was wondering if anyone else received it. A new policy is going into effect in March, and I believe they are sending the letter to everyone with an open case.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I received the same e-mail and I am still freaked out. My Husband has never been here. The letter does state that if you do not notify the NVC it will delay your visa application. I guess we should still ignore?

Worried

Filed: Country: Estonia
Timeline

Don't be worried. Whoever typed this memo is dumb. Let's read closely.

Beginning March 4, 2013, certain immediate relatives of U.S. citizens may apply for a provisional

waiver of inadmissibility due to unlawful presence before leaving the United States.

I read that as:

"If you were ever illegally in the USA, and tried to get around it by going back to your home country and applying at the embassy, you have to fill out this waiver."

For me, my wife has never been here illegally, and she was not here when we filed the original petition. If she were, I suppose we would be expected to file for a adjustment of status instead of going through the embassy in estonia. Now, in the mean time, she has been to usa, but only temporarily. If i broke the law without knowing it, then too bad, cuz they let me do it. I did something similarly illegal with my son without knowing and I got scolded by the consular. I just looked at him and said, I actually did it twice! lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.