abbi627

what do you miss about Morocco?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone. While I am doing a mental countdown for my trip back to Morocco I was thinking about what I miss about Morocco. Of course the obvious one is I miss my fiance A LOT. But I thought it might be fun to see what everyone misses about Morocco.

I miss the warmth of the family

I miss the bread and hot mint tea

I miss the peace and serenity I felt on the farm

I miss everyone eating together as a family

I miss wandering through the markets

There is so much I miss about it but those are the ones that come to mind. I just thought it would be fun to see what others miss about being there.

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everyone. While I am doing a mental countdown for my trip back to Morocco I was thinking about what I miss about Morocco. Of course the obvious one is I miss my fiance A LOT. But I thought it might be fun to see what everyone misses about Morocco.

I miss the warmth of the family

I miss the bread and hot mint tea

I miss the peace and serenity I felt on the farm

I miss everyone eating together as a family

I miss wandering through the markets

There is so much I miss about it but those are the ones that come to mind. I just thought it would be fun to see what others miss about being there.

The times my wife spent with me here, being the first love, gave a special new taste to Morocco, i've never had, so, what i miss about Morocco is having my wife here, we will see what the future holds for us.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Him and his family, of course. I live alone here, so it is sooooooo quiet after being with him and his family. Some one is always speaking or laughing. I miss the food, even the seafood pizzas! I have acquired a taste for them. Like Abbi said, the markets... They are so amazing to me. Strangely enough, I even miss the taxi's. As crazy as the drivers are there, it was nice to have some one else drive. And the landscape! Having to take the train from Casa to Fes, we got to see many hills and farms along the way.... reminds me of home. And everything else that has been mentioned... I'm sure there are more things that I will miss, but I just got back, so.....

01/28/2013 I-130 package sent

01/31/2013 Notice of Action Date After POE
02/01/2013 Received e-mail and text notification of acceptance
11/26/2013 Applied for SS#
02/04/2013 Received hard copy NOA1 (case not found in on-line system) 12/02/2013 ELIS site still states "accepted"
03/12/2013 Transferred to the local office 12/27/2013 received green card
04/10/2013 Case still not found in on-line system
04/15/2013 INFO-PASS appointment

05/01/2013 NOA2 sent petition approved

NVC Stage...of course it has to be complicatedreading.gifrolleyes.gif

05/09/2013 Case received by NVC

05/23/2013 Received case #'s from NVC

05/23/2013 DS-3032 sent from husband's e-mail

06/03/2013 First day I can not access payment portal

06/04/2013 AOS Fee invoiced and payment made

06/04/2013 DS-3032 resent with Supervisor Review

06/05/2013 DS-3032 acceptance e-mail

06/05/2013 AOS Fee shows "PAID"

06/06/2013 AOS package express mailed

06/07/2013 IV bill invoiced and payment made (still waiting on documents from Hubby)

06/08/2013 IV package express mailed

06/25/2013 IV reviewed - Checklist (2 errors, Birth document & date on DS-230)

06/26/2013 Requested supervisor review by e-mail & verbal request for birth document (fingers crossed)

06/27/2013 AOS accepted

06/28/2013 Checklist response sent for corrected DS-230 (I had my husband sign extra's just in-case)

08/02/2013 NVC requested a supervisor review on the checklist item over 20 business day window

08/05/2013 Case Complete!!! kicking.gif

08/27/2013 Interview Assigned

10/30/2013 Interview

11/04/2013 Pick up Passport

11/12/2013 POE @ JFK

Timeline

I also miss the call to prayer. Such a beautiful sound five times a day. And like HappyToBe said - I even miss the taxis LOL. I live on the coast of Florida so I still have the ocean here - but it is not the same. I am so ready to go back!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can't put it into words.

I just felt like I could walk out of my hotel room and have a new adventure everyday. (S/O was just one of the many adventures I had in Morocco!)

9/2011: Met in Morocco

12/2011: Trip to Europe together

1/2012: My trip to his hometown

11/2012: His first trip to USA

1/2014: His second trip to USA

3/2014: Married

Adjusting from a B visa

6/25/2014: Sent AOS package (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

6/28/2014: Package received at Chicago Lockbox

7/2/2014: Text and email notifications

7/2/2014: Checks cashed

7/8/2014: Hard copy NOAs received

7/25/2014: Biometrics appointment

7/25/2014: RFE for foreign birth certificate

7/26/2014: RFE responded to

7/30/2014: RFE response received

8/14/2014: Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

8/29/2014: EAD and AP card production ordered

9/10/2014: EAD and AP card received

9/27/2014: Interview letter received

9/29/2014: SS card applied for

10/4/2014: SS card received

10/28/2014: Interview - approved pending final background check; online status updated that night

11/1/2014: Welcome letter

11/4/2014: GC in hand

ROC

8/13/2016: Sent I-751 Package

8/15/2016: Package received at CSC

8/17/2016: Check cashed

8/19/2016: NOA1

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline

The ocean.

The fresh produce within walking distance of home.

The fresh seafood within walking distance of home.

The ability to choose parts of Moroccan and parts of American culture and live in the way I want to that is also acceptable to the majority of society.

The connectedness with people.

The respect people have for elders.

The way children take care of parents in old age.

That even people who have next to nothing themselves can still be seen giving a dirham to a beggar with a blessing.

The communal eating style.

The freshness of the bread.

The hospitality lavished on guests.

The feeling of being in a room with all women and that intimacy that comes from it.

The shared experience of a nation fasting.

The constant reminder of the divine with the call to prayer.

The white tombs on the side of the road.

The greeting of one another with kisses or touching one's heart.

Watching grown men embrace, walk down the street arm in arm, or laugh unabashedly like children.

Old men with cell phones in their jellaba caps.

People's willingness to get to know a stranger.

Hospitality and charity as a form of worship.

Children still playing in the streets.

Children growing up and having a great childhood without hundreds of toys or gadgets.

The crowded mass of humanity at souk or in old parts of the medina at night.

Work meetings at cafes.

Living somewhere with the privilege of being able to interact comfortably with people from all walks of life from the most impoverished to the most elite.

The architecture.

Getting lost in an old medina.

The rich history.

Talking to older people about the past and their memories.

Multilingualism, code-switching, and conversations in multiple languages.

Getting to know "my shopkeeper," "my butcher," "my baker," "my chicken guy," "my cafe guy," "my juice guy...."

Public transportation.

Seeing things that are handmade on such a regular basis.

Being able to see artisans on a daily basis and purchase what they make for practical purposes.

Taking naps after lunch.

Not needing to plan to spend the night places but being able to just stay with friends whenever with no problem.

Being able to get things fixed easily and inexpensively.

5 dirham DVDs/cds.

Being able to have serious conversations with people on such a regular basis.

Traveling inexpensively.

The slower pace of life.

Cheap healthcare.

Being able to shop on credit (I rarely did it, and only really if they couldn't make change for a large bill, but just that you could do it was incredible)

I typed all this without stopping to think. I could go on. I miss it every day. I think I was there too long...

Beautiful post ! :thumbs:

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I can't put it into words.

I just felt like I could walk out of my hotel room and have a new adventure everyday. (S/O was just one of the many adventures I had in Morocco!)

Exactly. And after 4+ years that feeling never went away. And there was always more to learn. I think one of the most humbling and frustrating parts of being in Morocco was knowing that no matter how much I learned, how privileged I was to be able to get to know so many facets of Moroccan society... I still would and could never be Moroccan, and I would still never be an expert on Morocco or Moroccan culture or society. The more I was there and the more I learned, the more the country and people opened up to me and showed me how much deeper everything was than what I could see or begin to understand.

(I hope that doesn't come across as Othering; I think it'd be the same anywhere, and I certainly don't consider myself to know everything about American cultures... just that it is so easy to say "I've lived here, I know!" but it is nothing further from the truth. I knew my experience as an American living there. But I don't know what it's like to grow up as a woman in the countryside who stopped going to school after 5th grade, I don't know what it's like to be a middle-class Rabatia who works at a bank, or what it is to grow up in a bidonville...)

Timeline

Inluv: I miss the very same thing. I miss the whole family experience. I love them all so much. They treated me so wonderfully and to see the love and respect that everyone in the family has for each other is amazing to me. All meals were taken together. Everyone worked together. Everyone sat together and talked and watched TV in the evening. I loved that sense of family. And they took me in and considered me as family and that made me so happy. I am counting the days until I am back.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I miss mutton tajine and reading about zagray / zagrey .

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Timeline

I miss sitting on the steps adoring the beautiful view of the Hassan II Mosque during prayer time. So beautiful.....

I miss seeing my husband with his family, he truly misses them all.

I miss going to the country side sitting on his family acreage and enjoying the valley views and fresh bread being baked in the fireplace outside.

I miss getting pizza at pizza hut and taking it to the beach for sunset.

I miss seeing all those people behind me in my rear view mirror, throwing up their hands and yelling move out of the way you crazy American driverhuh.gif

I miss it all....... Can't wait to go back this summer

Edited by foreverwaiting

Timeline

Foreverwaiting: I'm still laughing about the "crazy American driver" statement. My fiance asked me if I wanted to drive there and I said NO NO and NO. I might change my mind later - but the Moroccan drivers scare the daylights out of me LOL. Being on the road is definitely an adventure!

Filed: Timeline
1357397917[/url]' post='5904592']

Foreverwaiting: I'm still laughing about the "crazy American driver" statement. My fiance asked me if I wanted to drive there and I said NO NO and NO. I might change my mind later - but the Moroccan drivers scare the daylights out of me LOL. Being on the road is definitely an adventure!

LoL...my first trip, I rented a car at the airport for my trip, i thought hmmm how hard could it be to drive hereblink.gif

I took the bull by the horns and started driving day one and never looked back ever since. My husband says I drive like a true Moroccan lol, not sure if thats a compliment or not. I even started blowing my horn, cutting off taxi drivers that always seem to ride my bumper and blow their horn, or pass in a third lane that DOSENT even exist. I told Mohammed, I think, I probably pray here while diving more than half of the muslim population that prays here daily lol.

I dont think there wasnt a day when I drove, I didnt get pulled over by the police for some kind of driving error. I never understood the circle loops, when to stop or when to go lol, this is where the police always seem to be and I always got pulled over, or turning right on a red light, which was just a habit as we can here. I definitely paid out my share of dirhams for sure while driving, but I throughly enjoyed myself and never let those crazy drivers defeat me.

Edited by foreverwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.