nyc123

Traveling Abroad With Wife's Expired Green Card

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

Totally un-necessary.

What country will you be leaving from to fly back to the US?

Now I find it irritating, dude open your eyes, which world you live in? What does the country flag on my profile say? You work for USCIS? Can you guarantee me by writing down on a paper with notarization that I won't have any hard time flying back to the US? I am sure can't so, keep on reading my thread & please only speak if you have something useful to say.

Best Regards.

Now I find it irritating, dude open your eyes, which world you live in? What does the country flag on my profile say? You work for USCIS? Can you guarantee me by writing down on a paper with notarization that I won't have any hard time flying back to the US? I am sure can't so, keep on reading my thread & please only speak if you have something useful to say.

Best Regards.

Oh, I saw the country flag, but with all of the hype I thought maybe it was some country that have very little migration to the USthroughw, it's you who I don't understand why you have such an issue with what has been told to you, not just by immigration and the notice on the 751 extension letter. So what is the real problem, people have been flying back and forth to Bangladash for years with this situation. So again, what is the real problem?

Again, once again someone trying to assist and the poster gets rude.

Edited by LIFE'SJOURNEY

Good grief clear it up with the airline before you leave.

It's not like the airlines dont have a US number that's answered 24/7 or anything and it's not like US consulates in third world countries don't have a 24/7 number that's answered either. When we had the occasional problem boarding (usually because the passport name / green card name was a mismatch) we just called the airline office back in the US and got it straightened out.

We've been to all kinds of third world countries. Customs and immigration don't check your eligibility to go to the country where you are going. The airlines do and there is no airline that flies to the US that doesn't have someone who can resolve the green card extension letter in plenty of time for you to check in and board.

It's not about re-enter. All concern is about boarding the damn flight way back to US. Third world countries are over smart that they are unable to read/understand I-791 |o|

i don't get it.

Here is a fact for you

Bangladesh is one of the major labour-sending countries of the world. Each year

a large number of people voluntarily migrate overseas for both long- and shortterm

employment.

So don't you think one of these people have used an expired GC and an extension letter to go home and come back to the US.

Timeline

nic123 Uscis won't charge to stamp her passport and it will take just a few minutes.

Thanks for your concern, I am aware that I-551 is free & can be obtained on the spot, user Chi81 has said in this post somewhere that USCIS denied him I-551 & that what I am confused about. Not sure how true his words are. I am flying via Turkish Airways & it's getting close to impossible to speak with someone who knows about immigration law. Turkish Airway are just giving me random number where wither no one picks up the phone or they can't help.

Timeline

Here is a fact for you

Bangladesh is one of the major labour-sending countries of the world. Each year

a large number of people voluntarily migrate overseas for both long- and shortterm

employment.

So don't you think one of these people have used an expired GC and an extension letter to go home and come back to the US.

Thats what I am trying to do, to hear from "one of these people have used an expired GC and an extension letter to go home and come back to the US." as you said.

We will be traveling back to Kazakhstan in August and I doubt my wife's 10 year GC will be in hand given the processig times. We are going to use the extension letter and the "expired" GC to travel on. Of course we will be traveling on Lfthansa and they should see this all the time--of course they use local help in Almaty and they may or may not be properly trained, but they should be able to call someone who is. I would expect Turkish airways to be the same. I figure we will hand them the GC and see if they even notice that it is expired and then show them the letter and explain that it is still valid for another year. I hope all this worrying before you leave allows you to have a smooth experience. Can you enter the US travel document on-line with your reservation so they can verify it before you travel? I did that with Lufthansa when my wife had her visa and came to the US and then again when she travelled using her GC. I think they check its validity long before your flight and if they is an issue they may contact you. Just a thought since you after getting no where with the airline.

Dave

Timeline

We will be traveling back to Kazakhstan in August and I doubt my wife's 10 year GC will be in hand given the processig times. We are going to use the extension letter and the "expired" GC to travel on. Of course we will be traveling on Lfthansa and they should see this all the time--of course they use local help in Almaty and they may or may not be properly trained, but they should be able to call someone who is. I would expect Turkish airways to be the same. I figure we will hand them the GC and see if they even notice that it is expired and then show them the letter and explain that it is still valid for another year. I hope all this worrying before you leave allows you to have a smooth experience. Can you enter the US travel document on-line with your reservation so they can verify it before you travel? I did that with Lufthansa when my wife had her visa and came to the US and then again when she travelled using her GC. I think they check its validity long before your flight and if they is an issue they may contact you. Just a thought since you after getting no where with the airline.

Dave

Thanks for your concern Dave, I just called Turkish airways & gave them out passport numbers. They do not even have option to enter GC number into their system. Like I said before, I have already made an Infopass appointment & would love to get wife's passport stamped with I--551. However, a member (Chi81) said earlier in this thread that USCIS denied him I-551 & that''s what is worrying me the most now. Do you have any knowledge about people being denied of I-551 under any circumstances?

Thanks.

Edited by nyc123

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Hey nyc123, even I am on the same boat, I am getting sick of people saying that USCIS has stopped issuing I-551 to those with expired GC & NOA1. I am not sure exactly how true it is. It may be just a rumor & people saying things without any evidence. Good luck to you on getting I-551.

Thanks

Matt Sonders.

Hello nyc123, I couldn't have found this post in any better time, I am also on the exact same situation & afraid of Bangladesh LAW (no law should I say). I do know with the expired GC & NOA1 letter any country in the world won't deny you a boarding pass but Bangalesdh is out of this world (worst way). I am planning to make an infopass & get I-551 satmp but finding it difficult how to explain the situation to USCIS that NOA1 is no good for Bangladesh. Please let me know how things go at your end.

Hello nyc123, I couldn't have found this post in any better time, I am also on the exact same situation & afraid of Bangladesh LAW (no law should I say). I do know with the expired GC & NOA1 letter any country in the world won't deny you a boarding pass but Bangalesdh is out of this world (worst way). I am planning to make an infopass & get I-551 satmp but finding it difficult how to explain the situation to USCIS that NOA1 is no good for Bangladesh. Please let me know how things go at your end.

I have a question that you may or may not know given all of this. Let's say you go to all the trouble and get the stamp in the passport, will the airline recognize the stamp any more or less than the expired GC and extension letter? If the employees are looking for a GC or Visa then what you are showing them is not what they are looking for--using your reasoning that they will not understand the extension letter so therefore they will not recognize the stamp as the GC because they do not know what I-551 means, it is not a physical CARD.

It sounds like you would be better off going to your bank and get a couple of $100 bills to help them understand the situation :blush: . I will take my wife's expired GC, the extension letter, and enter the information of the airline's website and take our chances with the airlines as I do not want to deal with the USCIS for something that IMHO is just as suspect to an airline employee as the extension letter. It sounds like to only way to guarantee a smooth trip is to have the new GC in hand, but I realize changing the dates of the trip is not a possibility. I would just explain to the USCIS at the INFORPASS appointment that you have concerns about the NOA1 being accepted by the airlines and if they would be so kind as to give you the stamp for your peace of mind. That's what I would do IF I was going to try to get the stamp.

Good luck and I truly hope you have a smooth trip,

Dave

Hello,

We are in similar situation. We have our infopass apt on Thursday regarding the i551 stamp. My husband's green card has also expired and our application is in process. We were confident that we would have the new green card by end of December 2012 because our application is at California Service Center and the avg time there is 6 months. I think because of various holidays our application is still in review process. We are going to Pakistan and Saudia Arabia in Qatar airlines and have the green card with extension letter. We are going to infopass appointment to get stamp. HOwever, if they ask us to surrender expired green card or extension letter, we will not do so. We rather keep our expired green card then get a stamp. Called Qatar airlines and they assured us that the extension letter would be honored. Just worried about immmigration at Pakistan airport.

Will keep you posted.

Hello,

We are in similar situation. We have our infopass apt on Thursday regarding the i551 stamp. My husband's green card has also expired and our application is in process. We were confident that we would have the new green card by end of December 2012 because our application is at California Service Center and the avg time there is 6 months. I think because of various holidays our application is still in review process. We are going to Pakistan and Saudia Arabia in Qatar airlines and have the green card with extension letter. We are going to infopass appointment to get stamp. HOwever, if they ask us to surrender expired green card or extension letter, we will not do so. We rather keep our expired green card then get a stamp. Called Qatar airlines and they assured us that the extension letter would be honored. Just worried about immmigration at Pakistan airport.

Will keep you posted.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.