X Factor

Wife's diet changed since coming to US

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

How has you wife diet changed since coming to the US? My wife is eating less rice and more spicy foods that I like.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

My wife used to eat a lot of fish. She doesnt eat fish much any more since I dont like it. Last week she insisted though that she wanted to eat tuna. There was no persuading her otherwise. Well, I went to 2 different stores to try to buy tuna. At the meat market the owner told me they don't sell tuna. At Kroger's meat department I was told they just order it in fresh once a week and it costs $23.00 a pound. I told my wife the cost and she decided it wasnt worth that. I asked her if tuna is that expensive in the Philippines, and she said it is cheap and everywhere. Oh well... such is life in the back hills of Tennessee...

She still doesnt eat much beef or pork, although other Filipinos do. We ate a lot of chicken. I can slip some meat dishes past her though if I just dont tell her what it is.

Edited by Brijo

How has you wife diet changed since coming to the US? My wife is eating less rice and more spicy foods that I like.

Jena's tastes have changed almost completely since she arrived in 07. Since she stopped working 9 months ago when Kyle was born, she does all the cooking except breakfast on Sat. & Sun.

She rarely makes rice for dinner although she does have it for lunch once or twice per week. Her favorite meal is the same as mine now, a nice big T-bone steak, baked potato, and salad. :D

She has really gotten to be a great cook and makes almost everything from scratch. She bakes different kinds of bread, homemade pies, cakes, main dishes, you name it, she'll try to make it and it's usually very good!

That's why starting Jan. 1, I'm going to start working out! :o:lol:

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Timeline

Jena's tastes have changed almost completely since she arrived in 07. Since she stopped working 9 months ago when Kyle was born, she does all the cooking except breakfast on Sat. & Sun.

She rarely makes rice for dinner although she does have it for lunch once or twice per week. Her favorite meal is the same as mine now, a nice big T-bone steak, baked potato, and salad. :D

She has really gotten to be a great cook and makes almost everything from scratch. She bakes different kinds of bread, homemade pies, cakes, main dishes, you name it, she'll try to make it and it's usually very good!

That's why starting Jan. 1, I'm going to start working out! :o:lol:

I hear you - I am gaining weight too. And we have only been married 5 weeks :)

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

He gained 5 lbs in less than 4 weeks :P

K1
05/22/12 - Mailed I-129F
08/17/12 - Approved I-129F NOA2 (85 days)
11/19/12 - Approved Visa!! (179 days)
12/01/12 - POE Honolulu, HI
12/21/12 - Wedding Day!
AOS, EAD and AP
01/05/13 - Mailed I-485, I-765 and I-131
01/09/13 - USCIS accepted case and received text
01/11/13 - Cashed check
01/08/13 - Received NOA1
01/18/13 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice
01/22/13 - Early Biometrics Walk-in (scheduled Feb 7)
01/27/13 - We're pregnant!!
02/04/13 - Received Appointment Notice
03/04/13 - Approved EAD and AP (58 days)
03/12/13 - Received EAD and AP combo card
03/12/13 - Interview and Approved GC (63 days)
03/20/13 - Received Green Card

10/3/13 - Baby #1 arrived

2/17/14 - Pregnant again! LOL

10/20/14 - Baby #2 arrived
ROC
01/09/15 - Mailed I-751

01/12/15 - NOA

01/16/15 - Received NOA Letter

01/20/15 - Mailed DMV 1yr Extension

02/05/15 - Received Biometrics Letter

02/09/15 - Early Bio (Walk-IN)

02/19/15 - Biometrics Appointment

06/15/15 - Approved
06/15/15 - Card Ordered and Mailed

08/22/15 - Card Received

N-400 on or after 12/15/15

and they'll live happily ever, ever after...
Relationship Journey: Our pursuit to happiness

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

She isn't here yet, but I don't know how her diet can avoid changing.

There's very little fresh fish available in the area, and what is available is expensive and generally poor quality. Frozen fish is readily available at least...but certainly not the varieties she's used to. With a few exceptions, virtually all of the fruits that she's grown up on are available here. Again, the price can be high, and the quality questionable. Some of her favorite vegetables just aren't available locally at all (thank God there's no bitter melon :whistle: ).

I did buy a nice rice cooker in anticipation of her arrival...and generally eat a lot of rice myself. Not daily (or multiple times daily) as she's used to...but I wouldn't mind it.

Michelle has lived in Riyadh for most of the last three years. So, she's no stranger to adjusting her diet to what's available locally. As long as there's chocolate cake to be had, she'll be fine. (L)

She isn't here yet, but I don't know how her diet can avoid changing.

There's very little fresh fish available in the area, and what is available is expensive and generally poor quality. Frozen fish is readily available at least...but certainly not the varieties she's used to. With a few exceptions, virtually all of the fruits that she's grown up on are available here. Again, the price can be high, and the quality questionable. Some of her favorite vegetables just aren't available locally at all (thank God there's no bitter melon :whistle: ).

I did buy a nice rice cooker in anticipation of her arrival...and generally eat a lot of rice myself. Not daily (or multiple times daily) as she's used to...but I wouldn't mind it.

Michelle has lived in Riyadh for most of the last three years. So, she's no stranger to adjusting her diet to what's available locally. As long as there's chocolate cake to be had, she'll be fine. (L)

There is bitter melon here in Illinois in several asian stores. I refuse to eat it though. Jena grows lemon grass and the long purple egg plants as well as sweet potato for the leaves.

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Timeline

There is bitter melon here in Illinois in several asian stores. I refuse to eat it though. Jena grows lemon grass and the long purple egg plants as well as sweet potato for the leaves.

I'm in rural Virginia, not too terribly far from Northern Virginia though. There are several Filipino and Asian markets within reach if we're willing to put an hour and a half into the drive...so I'm sure we can get hold of most of her favorites, at least on occasion. I'm with you on the bitter melon though. Can't imagine ever acquiring a taste for it.

Timeline

I'm in rural Virginia, not too terribly far from Northern Virginia though. There are several Filipino and Asian markets within reach if we're willing to put an hour and a half into the drive...so I'm sure we can get hold of most of her favorites, at least on occasion. I'm with you on the bitter melon though. Can't imagine ever acquiring a taste for it.

:thumbs: I take a token scoop of it every time it is cooked. I hear it is very good for you though. I prefer broccoli

NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

I love bitter melon, ESP the wild small type. It grows wild here as most Filipino plants can be grown here. Her new favorite food is real corn beef, not the can corn beef. She also does not eat as much rice as me. There is a lot of fresh fish here too, but it is so expensive, over 20 dollars a pound for good ahi.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Grow fish for fun and profit ! In yer own fish pond !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Grow fish for fun and profit ! In yer own fish pond !

FWF? :thumbs:

USCIS: CR-1 Visa @ Vermont Service Center (Approved in 140 days from NOA1)

03/07/11: I-130 package sent to Chicago Lockbox

03/14/11: NOA1 via text and email (03/21/11: in the mail); petition routed to VSC

07/27/11: NOA2 via text and email (07/30/11: received in the mail)

08/01/11: Case received at NVC

09/19/11: Case complete and forwarded to consulate

10/19/11: Interview (APPROVED!!!)

11/18/11: POE

12/12/11: 2- year Green Card arrives in the mail

12/22/11: Applied for SSN at local office

12/26/11: SSN arrives in the mail

08/20/13: ROC window opens

10/03/13: I-751 package sent to Vermont Service Center

10/05/13: I-751 Delivered (Signed for by Karen Fitzgerald)

10/09/13: Check cleared bank account

10/11/13: NOA1 received (dated 10/07/13)

10/19/13: Biometrics appointment notice received (dated 10/16/13)

11/12/13: Biometrics appointment in Buffalo, NY

11/15/13: Case transferred to CSC

03/04/14: USCIS case status update: Card/Document Production (i.e. APPROVED!!!)

03/07/14: USCIS case status update: Green Card in the postal system; tracking number

03/08/14: Approval notice arrives in the mail (dated 03/04/2014; USCIS Office: Buffalo, NY)

03/10/14: 10-year Green Card arrives in the mail

Filed: Timeline

Hello and regards,

I have to say that my wife has changed her diet.

For example, she used to eat certain foods that she cannot get anymore. As a result she does not eat those foods anymore.

Next, she founds some new foods that she did not have before, and now she eats those.

So, all in all, all things considered I would have to say that she has changed her diet.

One thing she likes a lot is Fritos Corn Chips. Sometimes she likes the Barbecue flavor Fritos Corn Chips.

I do not want to get the wrong kind, so I will send her a text message that says "Sweetheart, which Fritos do you want today?"

If I do not get a reply, if she is busy for example, I will buy the Original Fritos.

My wifey also likes McDonalds French Fries, but only if they are recently cooked. One time on the way back from the Mall we went through the Drive up at Macdonalds and got our order and it turned out the Fries were almost cold. She was very upset, si I parked the car and went into Mcdonalds and they were very helpful and gave me fresh fries from the deep fryer. This made my wifey smile from ear to ear, and she was so happy she even shared with me!

Thanks and regards,

Yours Nascarfan

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

The thing I find amusing is how people in Philippines call a wiener a hot dog. I told Clariz it was not a hot dog unless it had a bun. :P

Edited by Wariza

My wife's diet has not changed very much at all. We may eat fish a bit less often than she used to, its just harder to find good fish. Tuna is readily available, we can even usually get Lapu Lapu at the Filipino grocery. She doesn't really like filleted fish and wants fish with the head and all unless its tuna. All her vegetables from back home are readily available in the Asian grocery stores, so she need not miss those. She has taken to liking hamburgers, something she hated back home. Loves them straight from the grill with a toasted bun, or even McDonald's hamburgers. She'll occasionally have a steak, as long as I grill it well done, although only tolerates them because I like an occasional steak. I think its actually my diet that has changed the most. She cooks dinner on most work nights, always Filipino dishes, and I make breakfast on the weekends, Filipino style breakfast with egg, rice, dried fish and pork tocino usually. Oh she likes ring sausage to, and I'll make that for her together with fried potato slices on occasion.

As to those mentioning going on a diet, she probably put a good 15 pounds on me after her arrival. She likes me heavier than I was before, I guess to her it means she's a good wife :rofl: I'd try to diet and eat less, but she won't give me any peace unless I eat more.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.