Bad_Daddy

TV Techies

11 posts in this topic

Is there much of a difference between LCD and LED TV's ? I'm looking at this one down below. I have a two year old 46" 60Hz Curtis LCD TV atm and the picture sucks.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+47%22+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+120Hz+-+3D+-+HDTV/7138049.p?id=1218831021026&skuId=7138049#tab=overview

LG - 47" Class - LED - 1080p - 120Hz - 3D - HDTV

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

I'd take an LED over an LCD. But I'd go for a good plasma for watching movies and sports. IMO, 3D is pretty much a gimmick at this stage of the game. The set you linked to is 120Hz, it will probably still blur a bit on some fast action sports scenes. The 60Hz blur a lot, the 240Hz are good for fast action. Plasma's have the highest refresh rate and are excellent for sports, but they aren't as bright as the LED's, but they have great blacks and contrast ratios. Most people are attracted to the brighter picture, but if you look closely, you'll see the difference in quality with a good plasma.

I would suggest you take a ride to your local Best Buy and check them out in person to see what you like the best. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Check this out: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57344058-221/led-lcd-vs-plasma-vs-lcd/

I'd take an LED over an LCD. But I'd go for a good plasma for watching movies and sports. IMO, 3D is pretty much a gimmick at this stage of the game. The set you linked to is 120Hz, it will probably still blur a bit on some fast action sports scenes. The 60Hz blur a lot, the 240Hz are good for fast action. Plasma's have the highest refresh rate and are excellent for sports, but they aren't as bright as the LED's, but they have great blacks and contrast ratios. Most people are attracted to the brighter picture, but if you look closely, you'll see the difference in quality with a good plasma.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/LCD_TV_vs_LED_TV <----- I found this link earlier today but now you have me thinking about the plasma's. They are actually cheaper than the LCD and LED TV's. My brother has a 240Hz LCD and his picture is crystal clear. We saw that TV last night and when we got back home and flipped on this TV we noticed our picture sucks.

I would suggest you take a ride to your local Best Buy and check them out in person to see what you like the best. :devil:

:angry:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Go LED. Anything else is a step back. ;)

I'm leaning heavy towards the LED after reading up on some reviews. I'm on a $750 budget and I don't want to size down from my current 46" so it's looking more and more like that LG.

That's a nice looking TV but it's a bit out of my price range. I think right now it's most likely that LG unless I find a 240Hz that fits my budget. They have one on Best Buy for $500 but Iv'e never heard of the brand before, it has one less HDMI hook up, and two 8w speakers vs the two 10w speakers of the LG. I have a surround sound I picked up last year but it was a pain in the ####### so I stuck it back in the box and it's sitting in the closet atm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TCL+-+48%26%2334%3B+Class+-+LED+-+1080p+-+240Hz+-+HDTV/5405157.p?id=1218643216810&skuId=5405157#tab=specifications

TCL - 48" Class - LED - 1080p - 240Hz - HDTV

sigbet.jpg

I'd go with LG, Samsung, Panasonic etc instead of a no name brand. If you don't want 3D there are a lot of sets in that price range, but some of them are 46". I'd do a bit of reading on them since you can't go look at them in person. Or move to someplace that has stores and roads. :devil:

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

definitely go with a LED

I'm pretty sure I'm going with that one in the OP (47" LED"). It seems like a pretty good deal with what it offers and the positive customer reviews it's received so far.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LM4600-led-tv <------- Here's another look at it on the LG site.

sigbet.jpg

090_3d.jpg

:lol:

We still have our 3D glasses from when we went and saw Avatar about 3 years back in Anchorage. Their the good ones...hard plastic.

According to the add they give you four pairs of these down below.

2012-4pairs-cinema-3d-glasses.jpg

sigbet.jpg