Fab&She

Filing Taxes

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi I am a US citizen who is about to file my I-130 petition for my husband, I have a question about the taxes. I will be filing married jointly my husband who resides in Italy has a ssn there do he use that ssn for when we file or do I still fill out a W7 form to get a ITIN? Thank you for any response.

Hi I am a US citizen who is about to file my I-130 petition for my husband, I have a question about the taxes. I will be filing married jointly my husband who resides in Italy has a ssn there do he use that ssn for when we file or do I still fill out a W7 form to get a ITIN? Thank you for any response.

SSNs are for life, so if he has a SSN use that to file your taxes and consider yourself lucky that he does have a SSN and does not need to file for an ITIN. The only other question is whether to claim him as a legal resident for tax purposes or not. That one is up to you to decided based on income and tax consquences. Please read the IRS information carefully.

Dave

Timeline

Thank you Dave.....

SSNs are for life, so if he has a SSN use that to file your taxes and consider yourself lucky that he does have a SSN and does not need to file for an ITIN. The only other question is whether to claim him as a legal resident for tax purposes or not. That one is up to you to decided based on income and tax consquences. Please read the IRS information carefully.

Dave

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Is his SSN issued by US? If so, he can use it. Otherwise he has to apply for ITIN.

F2A

-----

10/29/2010: I-130 Sent

11/01/2010: NOA1

03/29/2011: NOA2

04/14/2011: NVC Case received

04/19/2011: AOS fee paid

05/07/2011: IV Fee paid

05/13/2011: AOS received

06/21/2011: Case completed at NVC

IR/1

-----

12/19/2012: Became US citizen and request sent to upgrade from F2A to IR/1

01/13/2013: Case completed (again!!)

04/02/2013: Interview (Approved)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

actually, if you include a letter with the 1040 paper submittal (no-efiling for you this time)

that clearly states the two of you are ELECTING for your spouse to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes,

you CAN use his SSN in the tax paperwork.

The letter must be signed by both of you.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

actually, if you include a letter with the 1040 paper submittal (no-efiling for you this time)

that clearly states the two of you are ELECTING for your spouse to be treated as a resident alien for tax purposes,

you CAN use his SSN in the tax paperwork.

The letter must be signed by both of you.

Good Luck !

Hi and thank you for your response, let me just understand you, write a letter that goes along with my 1040 simply stating that we would like for my spouse to be treated as a residential alien for taxe purposes, just state that and we both sign the letter and take it straight to the IRS , do I include his SSN along with this letter. Thank you again for your response Darnell.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

yup.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.