califa

sharing my case.

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

hello!! i just want to share my case with you. my whole green card process was very easy, no problems at all, even that i got arrest few years ago, i did not have any problems to remove conditions. i was arrest with drugs in my car, but my case was dismissed. so, my citizenship process was going easy too, i had my interview done last monday, and it was recommended to aprove,but today, the uscis office called me in my celphone, she ask me for my case disposition and the police report, and she told me to bring to the west palm office asap!!! well, i hope is that it, holpe it's not gonna be a problem!!! what you think?

sounds great bcoz your case was dismissed so they cannot hold this against you.

They can always hold any arrest against you, regardless of whether it was dismissed. That's why they ask for all court documents and dispositions in your N400, and for you to bring them in the interview.

I had a petty theft/shoplifitng arrest that was a little over 5 years old when I interviewed and I sent photocopies of all court documents with my N400, and brought certified copies with me to the interview. They didn't ask for it during the interview but I was ready if they did. My case was recommended for approval and I got oath pretty quickly.

It's kind of annoying that your IO didn't ask for them in your interview, but I have to assume you sent the photocopied documents with your application and you had them with you during your interview. If you didn't then you were very unprepared. Just get the proper paperwork to the right people and hopefully it'll get sorted out.

But please let that be a lesson to everyone that if you got arrested for any reason to have all that paperwork ready in your application and during the interview. If it was a minor offense and happened many years ago it will probably not be an issue but you should never take the risk.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

see this is an interesting topic. I too have a case to which the charges were dropped. I sent in original and certified court documents that I had available. To my surprise I got a yellow letter asking me to bring original or certified copies of all documents that invloved my arrest! Not sure if that is a general message or it is specific, meaning the documents I submitted were not enough! :unsure:

event.png

see this is an interesting topic. I too have a case to which the charges were dropped. I sent in original and certified court documents that I had available. To my surprise I got a yellow letter asking me to bring original or certified copies of all documents that invloved my arrest! Not sure if that is a general message or it is specific, meaning the documents I submitted were not enough! :unsure:

This was confusing to me also. I went to an immigration legal clinic (they have them here in LA in the same federal building, 20 dollars to have your questions answered), and they told me to only send photocopies in with the N400. Don't send originals in the packet or else you may never get it back. Certified copy would be okay but make sure you have your own certified/original copies, because it seems like standard procedure that you should bring the originals/other certified copies to the interview (I got that yellow letter also, but during the interview they didn't ask to see any of my documents).

To Califa: The N400 directions clearly said to send the police reports and case dispositions with your N400. If you didn't send those with your N400, then what did you send?

Filed: Timeline

Just disregard so-called Yellow Letter. It's a general letter which is sent out to almost every applicant who has mentioned on their application something about Yes or No question which requires documentary evidence. This letter is mailed out by case reviewing staff and not by the adjudication officer. Adjudication officer wouldn't even know about it nor would necessarily ask for those documents mentioned in this letter to present at the interview. This letter is just a reminder or kinda notice to what should/could be brought to the interview. That's all.

i just came from the court house now and they asking for 10 days for the docs.

I've nothing much to say except wowwwwww. I just don't know how come you didn't know a way ahead of filing N-400 that you must need all the records pertaining to those criminal situation like Police Report and particularly court disposition. Instructions and all the information on N-400 clearly states what needs to be sent along with N-400. Such a big incident in your life, you didn't even bother to gather those paperwork ahead of filing the case and even while the papers were pending. I'm so surprised. Very surprised. Do you expect USCIS to just take your word on this entire saga of criminal situation? Have you not read the application well wherein its clearly mentioned that you must need to send record if you were involved in any criminal situation? Sorry but this proves to say that how some people are so careless and unprepared while sailing thru immigration process.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I've nothing much to say except wowwwwww. I just don't know how come you didn't know a way ahead of filing N-400 that you must need all the records pertaining to those criminal situation like Police Report and particularly court disposition. Instructions and all the information on N-400 clearly states what needs to be sent along with N-400. Such a big incident in your life, you didn't even bother to gather those paperwork ahead of filing the case and even while the papers were pending. I'm so surprised. Very surprised. Do you expect USCIS to just take your word on this entire saga of criminal situation? Have you not read the application well wherein its clearly mentioned that you must need to send record if you were involved in any criminal situation? Sorry but this proves to say that how some people are so careless and unprepared while sailing thru immigration process.

you know what, i did my whole process by myself, since my first green card until now, i did send them some papers that i got in the court that said the case was dismissed, i thought it was enough,but was not!! even my IO was ready to close the process,she told me i was approved and going to receive a letter for the oath in few weeks, but her supervisor was the one who ask for more documents.

you know what, i did my whole process by myself, since my first green card until now, i did send them some papers that i got in the court that said the case was dismissed, i thought it was enough,but was not!! even my IO was ready to close the process,she told me i was approved and going to receive a letter for the oath in few weeks, but her supervisor was the one who ask for more documents.

It's not about whether or not you did your whole case by yourself or if you did send "some papers"; rather its about collecting such an important documents and be ready to produce when its required. It doesn't matter if you did submit some papers previously because each application is adjudicated based on its own merit. When you know that you were involved in a criminal situation then you should have at least the required paperwork with you from the get-go than trying to obtain only now or talking about submitting some in the past. You should have either police report or charging paper along with dismissal order from the court which must be certified. Anyway, your case and your life but when you put all these on a public forum then be ready to get all kinds of opinions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.