Dogwood_Poet

Wife going home with one-way ticket & expired Philippines passport

12 posts in this topic

My wife is going home to spend a few months visiting her family. She found a good deal on a one-way ticket leaving the first of January, so she bought it and will just buy a ticket back to the US once she is ready to come back.

She was naturalized this past February, and has her US passport. Her Philippine passport is expired, and she wants to renew it and get her dual citizenship once she gets to the Philippines.

Since she is a native, she should not have any problems not having a return ticket to the US?

I understand all visitors must have an exit ticket, but natives do not.

Will she need to take anything besides her old passport, she has copies of all her papers, birth certificate, etc. at her family home.

We live in western Kentucky, so to renew her passport in the US we would have to travel to Chicago or D.C.

Thanks!

Ako gugma ko GWAPA asawa Kathlene!

(I love my BEAUTIFUL wife Kathlene!)

_________

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

George Bernard Shaw

Have her request a balikbayan visa which is good for one year when she enters on the US passport.

Love forever,

Dale & Trisha

Married: 9/29/2008

K3 Visa

POE-MSP: 3/13/2009

AOS/EAD

Greencard received: 08/29/2009

Removal of Conditions:

Approved: 10/20/2011

Citizenship

9/19/2012

Since her Philippines passport is expired, she may have an issue with the airline by not having a return trip ticket. The airlines are not required to know that the Philippines allows dual citizenship. Having a passport from the USA, they can easily assume she is no longer a Philippines citizen. Without a valid Philippines passport, she has no way to prove she is not required to have a return ticket. Its kind of a great area about needing to apply to retain Philippines citizenship after getting US citizenship, but its generally recommended that it is done if the intent is to maintain their rights as a Philippines citizen.

BTW Kentucky is handled by the DC consulate, not Chicago.

http://www.philippinesusa.info/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#dual

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Good question.

Being a U.S. citizen now she is required to travel to and from the USA with a U.S. passport so even if she renews her Philippine passport she won't be able to use it. She can have dual citizenship without renewing her passport.

As for a return ticket that is something to ask the airlines, being a Philippine citizen (also) changes all the rules is my thinking.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

My wife is going home to spend a few months visiting her family. She found a good deal on a one-way ticket leaving the first of January, so she bought it and will just buy a ticket back to the US once she is ready to come back.

She was naturalized this past February, and has her US passport. Her Philippine passport is expired, and she wants to renew it and get her dual citizenship once she gets to the Philippines.

Since she is a native, she should not have any problems not having a return ticket to the US?

I understand all visitors must have an exit ticket, but natives do not.

Will she need to take anything besides her old passport, she has copies of all her papers, birth certificate, etc. at her family home.

We live in western Kentucky, so to renew her passport in the US we would have to travel to Chicago or D.C.

Thanks!

Excellent topic, and one that my wife will surely be dealing with one day. From what I understand you can take care of the re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship and subsequent Philippine passport renewal in the US, but with her leaving so soon there's certainly no time for that so she'll have to do it when she gets there. She'll have to go to the BI and fill up the "Petition for dual citizenship and issuance of Identification Certificate (IC)". She'll need three photos (front, right, left), NSO birth certificate, marriage certificate if she is using her married name now, and $50. After she does that she can go down to the good 'ol NBI and get the passport (considered new passport application I believe). I believe other posters have given you good advice about entering the country/plane tickets, but I have no personal experience there to speak to. Good luck :)

- Bron (Makati/Utah)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Based on TIM (Travel Information Manual) which gives travel documents requirements for every country in the world, it states:

Document Validity: Passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond period of intended stay.

Nationals of Phillipines may enter with passorts valid on arrival. However, in exceptional cases expired passports will be accepted, provided prior approval has been obtained from Immigrations Authorities at Manila International Airport.

The other thing I would check is if she is allowed to enter the PH with a US passport. In the PH she is considered a Phillipines citizen, and would have to enter with a PH passport.

For example, i have dual citizenship, Greek - Australian. I cant enter Australia with my Greek passport, only with my Australian one.

Hope this helps

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If she is entering with a US passport she needs any visa a US citizen needs to enter. Do not assume holding an expired passport exempts you from visa requirements. The airline may refuse to board her without a visa or a current unexpired passport to enter the destination country ( I know the airlines are responsible to ensure boarding apssengers have the proper papers to enter the destination country )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Have her request a balikbayan visa which is good for one year when she enters on the US passport.

where i can request this balikbayan visa??? thanks

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Based on TIM (Travel Information Manual) which gives travel documents requirements for every country in the world, it states:

Document Validity: Passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond period of intended stay.

Nationals of Phillipines may enter with passorts valid on arrival. However, in exceptional cases expired passports will be accepted, provided prior approval has been obtained from Immigrations Authorities at Manila International Airport.

The other thing I would check is if she is allowed to enter the PH with a US passport. In the PH she is considered a Phillipines citizen, and would have to enter with a PH passport.

For example, i have dual citizenship, Greek - Australian. I cant enter Australia with my Greek passport, only with my Australian one.

Hope this helps

No issue with her entering with a U.S. passport. For getting the balikbayan visa she only needs her Philippine passport (expired or not) or her BC.

If she is entering with a US passport she needs any visa a US citizen needs to enter. Do not assume holding an expired passport exempts you from visa requirements. The airline may refuse to board her without a visa or a current unexpired passport to enter the destination country ( I know the airlines are responsible to ensure boarding apssengers have the proper papers to enter the destination country )

Wrong. She has a valid U.S. passport and does not need a visa for the Philippines

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

When you arrive in the Philippines, show proof you were once a Philippines citizen. An expired Filipino passport is sufficient.

Okay thanks ..

USAR

Oct.8 2009 - arrived in USA (CR1 visa)

Nov. 2009 -- GC for 2 yrs received

Jan. 2010 -- DL issued

May. 2011 --- graduated for my bachelor degree

Sept. 1, 2011 --- Driver License Renewed ( till 2017)

NO removal condition

Citizenship

Oct. 2011-------- Filed N400

Jan. 2012 ------ Biometrics and Interviewed at same time

Jan. 17 2012 ---- Sworn In

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.