^_^

NEWTOWN, CONNECTICUT SCHOOLS IN LOCKDOWN AFTER SHOOTING AT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL

40 members have voted

1. 1. What should the national response be to this tragedy?

• There shouldn't be a national response at all.
    • Expressions of sorrow and sympathy only. Lower the flag for a while.
    • More restrictive gun laws.
    • Less restrictive gun laws.

425 posts in this topic

For comparison purposes, since Columbine there have been 31 school shootings in America and across the rest of the world there have been 14....

K1 Visa Timeline
15th Dec 08 - I129F posted to VSC
1st June 09 - Interview at 9am, Medical at 2:50pm
15th June 09 - K1 Visa approved and received
23rd June 09 - Point of Entry (Atlanta, Georgia)
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline
25th Aug 09 - AOS + EAD + AP posted to Chicago Lockbox
2nd Oct 09 - EAD + AP Approved
22nd Oct 09 - AOS Approved
30th Oct 09 - Green Card in hand!

Removing Conditions Timeline
29th Sept 11 - I-751 posted to VSC
26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

20th Feb 15 - N-400 posted to Lewisville Lockbox

15th June 15 - Interview

1st July 15 - Oath Ceremony

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

My assessment of US gun violence is as follows:

There are three divisions of gun violence.

1. Gang violence, and violence related to drug and sex trafficking - this is probably half of all such crimes

2. Violence through relationships, i.e. domestic violence etc.

3. Mental Health violence - rare but often there are warning signs that go unheeded.

When you jump to another nation with gun ownership similar to ours like say Switzerland, 1 and 3 are typically missing or much lower.

This current situation is a bit unique because it appears to be both 2 & 3 where as Portland and Aurora are likely 3. In fact, I question whether James Holmes cried for help prior to his attack but was partially ignored.

1. Gang violence, and violence related to drug and sex trafficking - this is probably half of all such crimes

3. Mental Health violence - rare but often there are warning signs that go unheeded.

When you jump to another nation with gun ownership similar to ours like say Switzerland, 1 and 3 are typically missing or much lower.

This current situation is a bit unique because it appears to be both 2 & 3 where as Portland and Aurora are likely 3. In fact, I question whether James Holmes cried for help prior to his attack but was partially ignored.

Agree, point number three I made a few posts back, access to mental health care/health care in this country is severely restricted (Due to cost) and that's why these senseless mass killings are so frequent in the USA.

K1 Visa Timeline
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline

26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

15th June 15 - Interview

NOW A US CITIZEN!

You made some good points, but going back to when I was a kid, there was basically almost no mental health care and ZERO gun control, but yet we had none of this.. What has changed. I don't claim to have an answer. However if it were strictly Mental health care and Guns this kind of thing would have been the norm back in the 60's and 70's

You made some good points, but going back to when I was a kid, there was basically almost no mental health care and ZERO gun control, but yet we had none of this.. What has changed. I don't claim to have an answer. However if it were strictly Mental health care and Guns this kind of thing would have been the norm back in the 60's and 70's

Hmmmm....possibly because of stress and the fast paced society we currently live in?? Which in turn leads into an increase in the likelihood of mental illness? Looking at the list of school shootings in the USA, it seemed to really take off in terms of frequency in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Edited by JimandChristy

K1 Visa Timeline
17th July 09 - Married

AOS + EAD + AP Timeline

26th Sept 12 - Approved

Citizenship Timeline

15th June 15 - Interview

NOW A US CITIZEN!

Been lurking around this thread...just found this article and thought I'd add it to the discussion.

Mythbusting: Israel and Switzerland are not gun-toting utopias

I wish it was more developed, but it does cast doubt on the popular thought that gun ownership in Switzerland is just as easy as the USA.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

For comparison purposes, since Columbine there have been 31 school shootings in America and across the rest of the world there have been 14....

There has been more drug abuse in American school as well, prob more bullying problem at schools too but the main question is what is leading kids to take such an action.

Like this one seemed there was some family problem as kid shot her own mother and kids in her class.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

Been lurking around this thread...just found this article and thought I'd add it to the discussion.

Mythbusting: Israel and Switzerland are not gun-toting utopias

I wish it was more developed, but it does cast doubt on the popular thought that gun ownership in Switzerland is just as easy as the USA.

so if that is the case then how do you solve the issue of these massacres? what is your solution? tell us.

I noticed NRA lovers never offer any solution to gun violence. they only argue about their right to bear arms. No one is taking that away from you but please speak on the issue of gun violence and what needs to be done to reduce it.

4027-dil-ko-choo-jaye-gi-shayari-collection-heart_91.gif?d=1205939495

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Okay, more details.

The firearms were the mother's. If he had a known mental illness, she may have broken the law by not securing the firearms if he lived with her.

(This may just be a California law, not Federal)

Edited by Sousuke

Timeline

so if that is the case then how do you solve the issue of these massacres? what is your solution? tell us.

I noticed NRA lovers never offer any solution to gun violence. they only argue about their right to bear arms. No one is taking that away from you but please speak on the issue of gun violence and what needs to be done to reduce it.

There are other reason to the gun violence... when a son shoots her own mother there is something far more serious going on in the background.

Our culture has developed such where more and more violene is accpeted, just look at the movies, videogames etc.

Timeline

Hmmmm....possibly because of stress and the fast paced society we currently live in?? Which in turn leads into an increase in the likelihood of mental illness? Looking at the list of school shootings in the USA, it seemed to really take off in terms of frequency in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Yes our fast paced lives, parents dont have time to spend with their children.

How many days does normally ppl in Europe have for vaccation compared to US where they can go out with family or by themself destress and return back to everyday life.

How many hours an average American works compared to someone in rest of the world... definately adds stress to the ones own life and families life.

huh? How does me posting this article lead you to believe that I am an NRA lover?! If the tables were turned, I think I'd conclude the opposite!

I'm not offering solutions, because I have none. This problem, in my opinion, is way bigger than can be addressed in an online forum. So, so, many variables. I do think it has something to do with the lack of a sense of community in the USA, a lack of feeling like you belong to something, or somewhere. That you have important responsibilities to someone or something.

I dunno.

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received