EricyJess

K1 being filed soon

15 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I first wanted to introduce myself to everyone on here! My name is Eric and my fiance's name is Jessica! We just got engaged 2 weeks ago and decided to file for her K1 visa. So far we have all the paper work in order but I have one major question.

Evidence.

I work for an airline so I regularly fly to the Dominican Republic but I never saved any of my boarding passes. Will my passport copies be enough? There are a good 20 -25 stamps on there in the past 2 years all to the Dominican Republic to see her.

Also we mainly talk via skype and whatsapp instant messaging... these conversations do not get recorded anywhere. Any recommendations on how to save our conversations? Should I screen record our skype and burn it to a DVD?

Any other advice that anyone who has done this can think of?

We are hoping to have her here in August of 2013 for a wedding on the 17th!

Wish us luck and any advice would be great! Thanks.

(P.S. Before this I worked in South Burlington, Vermont at a company that types up all the applications for this stuff to ship out to the USCIS so I've seen thousands of applications! It's kind of funny now that I'm on the other side of it all)

11/28/2012 Engaged

01/17/2013 K1 visa sent

02/07/2013 NAO1

06/21/2013 Case Transferred to TSC

07/30/2013 RFE - Proof we met in two years

08/16/2013 NAO2!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Welcome to VJ.

You can copy and print your whatsapp messages, we did. Similarly you can also print out all your Skype messages directly from the Skype interface. Take a look at whatsapp and Skype and I am sure you will figure it out.

You can use photographs, emails, whatsapp logs, Skype logs, call logs, cards sent to and from, letters, affidavits from friends and family,hotel bookings / itineraries in joint names, anything in joint names, boarding passes, credit card statements -- basically anything you can think of to prove you were together and have a relationship can be used as evidence.

There is literally 5000000 posts on this topic so if you type "k-1 evidence of relationship" or something similar you will find a heap of threads, information and advice.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Hello hun welcome to the VJ family!!! you have found a great place for advance and support and congrats on your engagement!!! so for proof of having met what i did was i sent about 12 pics of us from different trips. copies of every page in my passport showing all the stamps. i sent 3 actual emails and i translated them into English, phone records showing that i was roaming and actually in dr, copies of hotel and car rental receipts, copy of my credit card bills showing i purchased things while i was in dr, and in my case i had all my flight itinerary for every trip i made since i met him. hope this is helpful and good luck if you need anything else don't hesitate to ask we r here to help!! :)

Hi All,

I first wanted to introduce myself to everyone on here! My name is Eric and my fiance's name is Jessica! We just got engaged 2 weeks ago and decided to file for her K1 visa. So far we have all the paper work in order but I have one major question.

Evidence.- As evidence you can use, pictures of all the trips you have done to DR 10-12 PICTURES TO SEND IS GOOD

I work for an airline so I regularly fly to the Dominican Republic but I never saved any of my boarding passes. Will my passport copies be enough? There are a good 20 -25 stamps on there in the past 2 years all to the Dominican Republic to see her. - Copies of the passport stamps is fine, as it shows all trips given

Also we mainly talk via skype and whatsapp instant messaging... these conversations do not get recorded anywhere. Any recommendations on how to save our conversations? Should I screen record our skype and burn it to a DVD? Absolutely NO DVD, OR electronics are allow to send to USCIS nor take into the building the day of interview. NO SCAN DRIVES, DVDS NOR cameras

Any other advice that anyone who has done this can think of? In my personal options and from my research I have done, many are concern with the "evidence" of what to take people get overly whelmed most of the time they hardly don't look at any of it, Yes is good to be prepare but in my opinion I think what will determinant more the progress of your case will be how the couple handles the answering of the questions that are being asked. If it's a real relationship you should be able to answer basic questions of your partner. Other then that I think you are all set. The only advice I continue to give regarding this process is read, read, and prepare yourselves, be proactive, and review all documents twice even three time before mailing anything out.

We are hoping to have her here in August of 2013 for a wedding on the 17th!- Perfect! I've seen they have often asked if you have chosen a wedding date and where will it be done

Wish us luck and any advice would be great! Thanks. Best of luck you came to the right place!

(P.S. Before this I worked in South Burlington, Vermont at a company that types up all the applications for this stuff to ship out to the USCIS so I've seen thousands of applications! It's kind of funny now that I'm on the other side of it all)

Edited by GodsGift225

~* GodsGift225*~

Hey everyone! Thanks all for the information. I'm working on the evidence today to bring to my lawyer!

11/28/2012 Engaged

01/17/2013 K1 visa sent

02/07/2013 NAO1

08/16/2013 NAO2!

Hey everyone! Thanks all for the information. I'm working on the evidence today to bring to my lawyer!

Unless you have some issues, I would not waste time and money with an attorney. VJ has guides that will walk you through all of the steps of the immigration process. If you still get stuck there are people all over VJ to help free of charge. Think about it, you are paying someone to look at the papers for you cause what they can't do is make your case process faster no matter what they tell you. Just something to think about.

Welcome to VJ and best of luck on your journey!

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

It's a DIY process, unless you have red flags or have trouble with the basic instructions you can do it yourself.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

Unless you have some issues, I would not waste time and money with an attorney. VJ has guides that will walk you through all of the steps of the immigration process. If you still get stuck there are people all over VJ to help free of charge. Think about it, you are paying someone to look at the papers for you cause what they can't do is make your case process faster no matter what they tell you. Just something to think about.

Welcome to VJ and best of luck on your journey!

It's a DIY process, unless you have red flags or have trouble with the basic instructions you can do it yourself.

The only reason I have a lawyer is because it is free of charge group legal with my employer. So I figured it can't hurt to have a second pair of eyes?

Should I just skip it?

11/28/2012 Engaged

01/17/2013 K1 visa sent

02/07/2013 NAO1

08/16/2013 NAO2!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

The only reason I have a lawyer is because it is free of charge group legal with my employer. So I figured it can't hurt to have a second pair of eyes?

Should I just skip it?

Just because it's free through the company it doesn't mean that the lawyer will do a better job.

The lawyer has to be an immigration attourney, preferably someone who knows about the embassy in your fiancee's home country as well - otherwise odds are he/she will make about as many mistakes as you, or simply not catch yours. If you have no legal issues, then drop the extra pair of hands and gather the info yourself.

The instructions are the same regardless of which eyes are looking at them. I'd suggest, if you have any trouble understanding them, you have a whole online community who went through the process, one way or the other. Ask questions, get answers. Neat. :)

Since you have that many stamps in passport, I'd suggest copying your entire passport from bio-page until last page. It not only proves you've met within the last 2 years, it also proves you're a US citizen. 2 flies with one smack.

Lastly, try searching VJ for keywords such as "cover letter", "i129f". Some(most on here) put a cover letter with the petition and it also acts as your check list of things to include. That give you a pretty good idea on what to include(and what isn't needed as well).

Good luck, and welcome to VJ. Stick around here for a while through - the process continues once she arrives in the US.

Edited by moomin

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Yep to everything moomin has said. There have been members on vj that their attorney told them wrong information and it caused them delay and in some cases a RFE. It may be free, but you are still spending your time to meet with , call and send paperwork back and forth.

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Welcome, you came to the right place!

Like everyone said, the passport stamps are good, so no worries if you didnt save the tickets. Like Godsgift mentioned, absolutely no DVD, CD's, memory sticks, etc. The DR embassy does not allow entry with those things.

Like you and your fiancee, My fiance and I also use Whatsapp messaging. What i did was, i e-mailed our chat history from my iphone to my email. Everything is e-mailed on that history, such as pictures that were sent back and forth! Then from my e-mail i was able to print everything :)

And lastly, congratulations on your engagement, and again, welcome to VJ! :D

Congrats on your engagement. For my packet, I only sent 5 photos, copies of passport stamps, and some phone logs from rebtel.com, the calling card service I use. At the actual interview, I brought a bunch more photos, updated call logs, and passport stamps. In the end, our interviewer didn't ask to see ANYTHING! She didn't even ask to see the affidavit of support. She asked us three questions, and said we were approved. (Granted, I had lived in DR for a year and a half before filing the petition. It doesn't hurt to be prepared, but I really don't think you need to go as overboard at some people do!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.