kiaradv

Process & Procedure for Fiance in Dominican Republic

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone! :)

I need some clarification and answers to some questions.

My situation is that right now, my boyfriend and I are soon to be engaged and we are trying to figure out what is the best way for us as to visas. Either the K-1 OR K-3. He lives in the Dominican Republic.

What is the process for the K-1 visa?

What are the procedures?

Do you need a specific job status, income, etc??

I will greatly appreciate any answer. Any information. Please any suggestions from any friends that have brought their fiance from the Dominican Republic, I will accept any suggestons.

My situation is that right now, my boyfriend and I are soon to be engaged and we are trying to figure out what is the best way for us as to visas. Either the K-1 OR K-3. He lives in the Dominican Republic.

What are the procedures?

I will greatly appreciate any answer. Any information. Please any suggestions from any friends that have brought their fiance from the Dominican Republic, I will accept any suggestons.

Hi! You can file I-129F/Fiance visa petition to bring him with you in the US.

First you need to comply all documents needed in filing the petition. You two must have met in person in the past 2 years as well.

Save all your plane tickets, boarding passes, hotel receipt, chat logs, emails, photos of you together.

And you two must fill up the G-325A with your signature and write an intent to marry letter with signature again. The processing time usually take 5 - 7 months. And yes, you need to have a specific job in order to provide the documents needed in the form I-134 (affidavit of support). You will need to send him your ITR, W-2, paystubs and employment letter upon interview.

Good luck and God bless! :)

Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the Lord with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

In GOD we trust. † = ♥

What are the procedures?

It really is up to you and what you have more of time or money. If you go the k-1 route you can file now(as long as you meet the minimal requirements such as have met in person in the last 2 years and have evidence of a relationship). It will cost you $340 to get started. Then as you are waiting you can get the rest of the funds together $180 for an exam (without vaccinations can get those once your fiance enters the US if you want to stretch that cost out for a little longer or pay $350 and be done with it). Then $240($230 for cr-1)+$15 (fee at banco popular)+$9to$13(fee for domex). There are other little fees here and there like police report about $12, passport if fiance does not have one about $60+, passport photos about $5, birth certificate extensa and legalized about $20, however all of this stuff you can be getting together while you are waiting months. Then once you get your fiance to the states. Get married at courthouse $35-$60 depends on where you live or what your plans are, it just needs to be done within 90 days of fiance arriving in US. Then you file AOS cost $1070. Now the CR-1 route. You need to come here to the DR and get married cost of flight not sure were you are coming from. Will need your birth certificate and apostilled $1 if done in US at Sec. Of State. Then have that translated and legalized about $35 depends on where you go, pay $150-$175(again depends where you go) to get married at court. Then once you get back to the US you can file and it will cost you $420 to get started. But you don't have to pay the $1070 for AOS later, it is a lot cheaper and paid during the NVC stage of the process($88 from what I have read), when your husband in this case arrives to the US he can work and travel outside of the US if he needs to. But you will still pay all of the costs that are in bold with this route as well, and you must get vaccinations at the time of the medical. The k-1 is only maybe a few months faster but your fiance will not be able to work or leave the US until you file AOS so that is something to take into consideration.

With k-1 or cr-1 you can use a co-sponsor if you do not meet the financial guidelines, but I suggest you read up on both options and see what is best for you. Best of luck what ever you decide.

Edited by reese1

Our Journey
6/13/2012 Sent I-129F package
6/14/2012 NOA1 --> California Service Center
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NOA2 Hardcopy received
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
11/30/2012 Picked-up Packet from Local Post Office
01/16/2013 Medical
01/23/2013 Interview - In AP

09/24/2013 Visa picked-up from DOMEX
10/10/2013 POE Ft. Lauderdale

10/28/2013 Applied for Social Security Number

01/01/2014 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

heart_28.gif

Thank you all for the information. Now I have a clearer view as to each way.

I see that for the fiance visa they average wait is from 3-7 months, correct?

Also, with the K-1, he can't travel out of the country but he can travel within the country, correct?

Thank you all. :)

Thank you all for the information. Now I have a clearer view as to each way.

I see that for the fiance visa they average wait is from 3-7 months, correct?

Also, with the K-1, he can't travel out of the country but he can travel within the country, correct?

Thank you all. :)

The 3-7 months wait is just to get your NOA2 you still have to wait for it to go to the NVC which is about a week, then the NVC sends it to the Consulate which is about a week or two unless you get stuck in AP like I did and then it is 3 weeks. Then your interview date will be about 2 months from the time that the NVC sends it to the Consulate(again even this can vary because mine took longer, but it only took me 3.5 months to get my NOA2)So for me from start til interview date it has been a little over 7 months, again some have waited this long just to get the NOA2.

Yes, he can travel any where within the US.

Our Journey
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
01/16/2013 Medical

heart_28.gif

Thanks!!! These past two days I've been doing so much research but something that has me confuse is this:

- Must I have a 2 year relationship for me to apply for the visa or must I have met him at least once within the last 2 years??

My case is that I first met him personally in September.

Thanks!!! These past two days I've been doing so much research but something that has me confuse is this:

- Must I have a 2 year relationship for me to apply for the visa or must I have met him at least once within the last 2 years??

My case is that I first met him personally in September.

You have to have met with him personally within the past 2 years. But if you just met him in September for the first time in person, I would suggest you make a few more visits to get more evidence.

Our Journey
9/25/2012 NOA2
10/01/2012 NVC Received
10/19/2012 Left NVC
01/16/2013 Medical

heart_28.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.