kb9

Switching Consulates after CR1 Interview

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi all,

I had my CR-1 Interview on Nov 7 at Bombay, India. The interview went fine, except that they placed me on administrative processing. I have a fairly common name, and have been through this before when applying for my B1 visa 2 years ago--so I'm not overly worried. Hopefully, this gets cleared within a month.

The tricky part is that I've been asked by my company (American MNC) to shift to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia temporarily for a work assignment. I knew this before the US interview, but I assumed I'd be done with the CR1 process before shifting to Malaysia. Now, I'm scheduled to depart in 2 weeks, and I'm trying to see what I can do with my "in process" status at the Bombay consulate. I called NVC, and they said this is for the local consulates to decide.

Since I already went for my interview. Is it still possible to shift my case to Malaysia so the visa can be stamped there once admin processing is complete? Or will I have to fly back to India to complete the process. Any recommendations on whom to speak to?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure why you'd bother. Did they keep your passport? Do you need to go in person to collect it? Most places get it mailed back to them, and most places ask the passport to be mailed so the visa can be put in (if they didn't keep it).

So my suggestion to you would be to mail the passport in when requested, and have it mailed back to wherever you are located right now. I wouldn't waste time having the file shifted around.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'm not sure why you'd bother. Did they keep your passport? Do you need to go in person to collect it? Most places get it mailed back to them, and most places ask the passport to be mailed so the visa can be put in (if they didn't keep it).

So my suggestion to you would be to mail the passport in when requested, and have it mailed back to wherever you are located right now. I wouldn't waste time having the file shifted around.

They did not keep my passport. But the challenge is to coordinate this while being in another country. As far as i know, you can't send passports in the mail. So I can't send the passport to India while I'm in Malaysia (starting 2 weeks from now).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They did not keep my passport. But the challenge is to coordinate this while being in another country. As far as i know, you can't send passports in the mail. So I can't send the passport to India while I'm in Malaysia (starting 2 weeks from now).

I'm not sure about internationally, but domestically you can. Maybe you wanna look into that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.