Bob33065

Sole custody of child

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sole custody of child

Looking for information on fiancé obtaining sole custody of her son.

The father of child is on the birth certificate.

They were never married.

Would like to find out how to do this.

Checked into a lawyer in Thailand they want $100,000 Baht ($3,257 US) to do this.

Has anybody done this? If so any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

Bob33065

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Sole custody of child

They were never married.

Checked into a lawyer in Thailand they want $100,000 Baht ($3,257 US) to do this.

Thank You

Bob33065

Welcome to the forum.

The proper remedy likely varies from country to country and the associated legal requirements and custody documents. I would suggest that you shop around a bit and get a several opinions and a several price quotes.

In our case from China, my wife and her ex had been divorced for over 5 years. Their (now) 19 yo son has been living with her since the divorce. She was able to get a "Notarial Certificate" (AKA White Book) [Chinese-English notarized/certified/translated document] from her ex, giving his permission for the son to immigrate to the US. Perhaps it wasn't necessary considering the son's age, but we felt that it was better to be safe than sorry.

YMMV.

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Thailand regional forum; topic is an issue of applicable family law in Thailand and not about any specific US visa process.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I think what you may be inquiring about, is that you want your fiance's son to immigrate with her to the states. If so, you will have to have the father go to the Amphur and sign the release to allow him to immigrate to the U.S. This will be required by the consulate if you want him to accompany her when she immigrates to the states. If the father does not want to sign the release, then you may have some legal matters to deal with in Thailand.

Good luck.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why?

Because that's how they roll in Thailand. Have seen it many times. You would think they would say fine and sign the paper. Usually not the case without some THB.

You can click on the 'X' to the right to ignore this signature.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sole custody of child

They were never married.

Thank You

Bob33065

This is a serious subject that must be understood to avoid undue expense and the wrong outcome. Do not consider info or advise that isnt directly related to Thailand.

You have asked about custody matters on an immigration based web site. This situation you describe is nothing new in Thailand. Custody of course may or may not have anything to do with immigration. If immigration is the real intent it would be a good idea to say so because there are other aspects of consideration to be known.

To gain sole custody of the child she will petition the court similar to what is done in the USA. She may or may not need a lawyer depending on her understanding of Thai court procedures. If the legal firm knows a farang is involved the price will go up.

The father will be waiting in the wings with a Thai style extortion plan as Karee indicates. He will proceed depending on what he believes the Thai court will do. Your fiancee will need to understand exactly how this game is played Thai style. We NEVER approach these things head on as you Americans do.

You should consider finding the book, Thailand Fever, on Amazon to have a better understanding of Thai thinking on some important subjects.

Edited by Ning

Timeline

This is a serious subject that must be understood to avoid undue expense and the wrong outcome. Do not consider info or advise that isnt directly related to Thailand.

You have asked about custody matters on an immigration based web site. This situation you describe is nothing new in Thailand. Custody of course may or may not have anything to do with immigration. If immigration is the real intent it would be a good idea to say so because there are other aspects of consideration to be known.

To gain sole custody of the child she will petition the court similar to what is done in the USA. She may or may not need a lawyer depending on her understanding of Thai court procedures. If the legal firm knows a farang is involved the price will go up.

The father will be waiting in the wings with a Thai style extortion plan as Karee indicates. He will proceed depending on what he believes the Thai court will do. Your fiancee will need to understand exactly how this game is played Thai style. We NEVER approach these things head on as you Americans do.

You should consider finding the book, Thailand Fever, on Amazon to have a better understanding of Thai thinking on some important subjects.

Thanks for taking my one-liner and adding substance to it. Another good Thai relevant post from Ning.

• 2 months later...
Filed: Timeline

Interesting post. Never considered this. A friend of mine has met a Thai woman who has two children (I believe from two different fathers, but am not sure.) I've been told she is raising the kids on her own and the father(s) are not in the picture. Should I advise him to move on and find someone else before he gets himself in too deep here?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Interesting post. Never considered this. A friend of mine has met a Thai woman who has two children (I believe from two different fathers, but am not sure.) I've been told she is raising the kids on her own and the father(s) are not in the picture. Should I advise him to move on and find someone else before he gets himself in too deep here?

It would be best to start your own thread because of the nature of your question.

Your friend has done what many people have done. Thailand is very different than here in the USA. There is nothing unique about the situation you describe.

Thai women often times dont marry the men they live with. They dont want the men to have legal access to their families property for one thing. Thai men are infamous for not respecting women and any form of marrige is usually one sided. Its common for Thai men to have affairs while expecting the mother of their children to accept the fact.

You should advise him to buy Thailand Fever found on Amazon first. He has a lot to learn and consider as he moves forward. There are many people right here on V J that have been thru this very thing and done it succesfuly. In my own case I can say that my daughter and I are very happy and content with our lives here is spite of the ordeal of getting thru the immigration process.

Timeline

Here is the link:

http://photos.state....consent0112.pdf

The rules changed a few years ago. When we went through the process in 2007, you only needed a paper from the local amphur. Rin had to go to the amphur with two witnesses that attested that she had sole custody of the children to get the required document.That is no longer acceptable.

Edited by rin and john

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Sole custody of child

They were never married.

Thank You

Bob33065

Unfortunately, you can expect the father to ask for money to do this.

There are companies in Thailand that performs assassinations for cheap :)

Timeline

There are companies in Thailand that performs assassinations for cheap :)

Problem with that is the assassin always seems to get away, and the foreigner ends up in jail. :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.