Bad_Daddy

The "Dream Act" paid off for Obama in a big way

131 posts in this topic

http://news.yahoo.com/poll-latino-vote-devastated-gop-even-worse-exits-181922111--politics.html

Poll: Latino Vote Devastated GOP Even Worse Than Exits Showed

By Benjy Sarlin | TPM – 1 hr 38 mins ago

Mitt Romney lost Latinos by unprecedented margins -- even worse than the initial exit polls showed -- according to a study by Latino Decisions.

An election eve poll of 5,600 voters across all 50 states by the group, which has researched the Latino vote throughout the campaign, concluded Obama won by an eye-popping 75-23 margin. Their research concluded that CNN's exit poll estimate of 71 percent of Latinos breaking to Obama likely undercounted their support, although they agreed with the assessment that turnout equaled 10 percent of the electorate.

"For the first time in US history, the Latino vote can plausibly claim to be nationally decisive," Stanford University university professor Gary Segura, who conducted the study, told reporters.

According to Segura, the Latino vote provided Obama with 5.4 percent of his margin over Romney, well more than his overall lead in the popular vote. Had Romney managed even 35 percent of the Latino vote, he said, the results may have flipped nationally.

The effect was at least as dramatic in swing states, most notably in Colorado, which Obama won on Tuesday. There Latinos went for the president by an astounding 87-10 margin, an edge not far from the near-monolithic support he received from African American voters. In Ohio, with a smaller but still significant Latino population, Obama won by an 82-17 margin.

"This poll makes clear what we've known for a long time: the Latino Giant is wide awake, cranky, and its taking names," Eliseo Medina, Secretary-Treasurer of the SEIU, told reporters Wednesday on a conference call discussing the results.

Beyond the eye-popping margin of victory, the internal numbers helped explain why many of the Republican's efforts to deal with the problem fizzled in 2012. Romney tacked hard right on illegal immigration, recommending a policy of "self-deportation," but he hoped that by stressing his dedication to legal immigration he might mitigate the damage.

The reason that didn't work, according to the study, is that Latino citizens are too personally connected to undocumented residents to separate the issue. Some 60 percent of high propensity Latino voters say they know someone who is living in the country illegally.

"You're not talking about an abstract immigrant, you're talking about someone the respondent knows and cares for and may in fact be related to," Segura said.

For the GOP, his conclusion was simple: "The Republicans need to make this go away."

The starting point would be comprehensive immigration reform that includes a path to citizenship for undocumented residents, a move he says could at least chip away at Democrats' increasing strength with the community. But selling that to the conservative base is going to be a tough slog and could invite a damaging backlash all its own, leaving the future fraught with danger for the right.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Isn't it beautiful? :)

Yes! I think if we have no laws preventing people from sleeping with their mother-in-law, no matter how gross other people think it might be, we shouldn't have laws barring two loving responsible same sex adults from building a life together, no matter how gross other people think it might be.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Keep to the topic or I'm reporting everyone of your post...that goes for all of ya.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Lets just allow the illegals to take over this country. ewok can kill this site off also seeing how US immigration laws aren't worth on the paper they are written on. Screw it. Let them have it and turn it into another 3rd world ####### hole. Anyone traveled south of the border recently? Western Europe it's not.

Edited by Bad_Daddy

sigbet.jpg

[quote name=^_^' timestamp='1352319382' post='5808089]

It is time for the GOP to start making new friends. That's the takeaway here.

I think it's high time everyone start trying to find common ground, instead of dividing ourselves further. Forums like this only contribute to a larger problem. I still believe as a country we can do great things, but a lot of the last 4 years was wasted because one side decided it was their mission to block and filibuster everything, even if it was their side's own damn idea to begin with.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Timeline
Lets just allow the illegals to take over this country. ewok can kill this site off also seeing how US immigration laws aren't worth on the paper they are written on. Screw it. Let them have it and turn it into another 3rd world ####### hole. Anyone traveled south of the border recently? Western Europe it's not.

It's not all black and white. There's are a lot of shades of grey in between and that is where the solution typically lies.