Nenita and David

N-400 November 2012 Filers

657 posts in this topic

Congrats to everyone seeing progress :dance: interviews, oath ceremonies, November is moving!!! For those still waiting fingers crossed your cases make progress soon, it sucks some offices are slower...

Had my interview this morning - recommended for approval... Called in about 15 minutes early by an older lady. Got right too it with oath to tell truth, then asked to see PR card and DR. license. Then she told me it was time for the English test (apparently they really do give it to English people!) Quite the stretch :) I had to read "how many U.S. senators are there?" Then I had to write "there are 100 U.S. senators."

Next up was civics... She asked me 6 of the easier questions - none of the ones with dates nor state specific. She stopped me after 6 - all good. Then she went through the application questions. Then asked for another set of passport photos and had me sign them. They had sent me the yellow letter asking me to bring them, guess they lost the first set. She had a huge 1 and a half inch thick file on me... Then she asked me if I still wanted to change the name, I said yes. I am adding my maiden name as my middle one since I never had one. She had me sign the court name change paperwork.

Then she checked in pen on a sheet of paper that she was recommending me for approval. She handed me the sheet. Then she turned to the computer, clicked a few buttons, then said "oops I hit the wrong button... oh well" :bonk: She didn't fix it either... maybe later? or maybe it was nothing? Hopefully she didn't hit "denied"! :unsure:

Then as we left the room I saw another IO who I've had before for biometrics he turned to the IO who had interviewed me and asked her how it went... I got the impression she was new.

So that was it folks... Btw I was applying on 3 year basis and the only question she asked on marriage was "are you married?" (wouldn't I have to be, given i've only been a PR 3 years?!? :lol: ) I said "yes, that was my husband sat next to me in the lobby".

Now just waiting for online approval to verify all is good, then oath :thumbs:

Nice Marie....from my experience, however, expect the Ceremony notification letter inyour mailbox before any kind of online update haha...We got our ceremony letter 2 days ago, and online, it says we have to go for our interview on January 31st :bonk:

K1 fiance visa NOA1: February 2009

K1 fiance visa NOA2: July 2009

Civil Wedding: October 13, 2009

AOS NOA1: November 1, 2009

AOS NOA2: January 15, 2010

Conditional GC: January 25, 2010

ROC NOA1: November 8, 2011

ROC Bio: December 14, 2011

ROC NOA2: July 31, 2012/Green Card in hand 8/4/2012

N-400; Mailed November 1, 2012

Nice Marie....from my experience, however, expect the Ceremony notification letter inyour mailbox before any kind of online update haha...We got our ceremony letter 2 days ago, and online, it says we have to go for our interview on January 31st :bonk:

Thanks Vartanarsen! I was actually thinking of posting on here to ask how long the online thing takes. But now i'll just wait for the oath letter. :blush:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Now just waiting for online approval to verify all is good, then oath :thumbs:

Congrats, Marie! Glad to hear things went well. Also glad that I read your post this morning and realized I hadn't had my photos taken yet, lol. All done now though.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Congrats, Marie! Glad to hear things went well. Also glad that I read your post this morning and realized I hadn't had my photos taken yet, lol. All done now though.

Awesome :) Good luck for tomorrow! :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2012 N-400 mailed

Nov 7, 2012 N-400 delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by Arndt & case priority date

Nov 9, 2012 Case Touched, NOA date

Nov 13, 2012 Got text/e-mail with case number & the check was cashed :)

Nov 14, 2012 Case updated online to say biometrics apt. notice is on its way!

Nov 16, 2012 Received NOA & biometrics apt. letter

Nov 28, 2012 Biometrics apt.

Jan 4, 2013 In line for interview!

Jan 5, 2013 Scheduled for interview!

Jan 10, 2013 Received interview letter

Jan 19, 2013 Received yellow letter dated 1/16 asking me to bring more passport pics to the interview

Feb 11, 2013 Interview

Mar 8, 2013 Got an online update - oath scheduled!

Mar 13, 2013 Oath letter received

Mar 22, 2013 Oath! Officially an American citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just amending my name as it got messed up somewhere along the line.

Good luck to everybody who is having an interview this week !! good.gif

At the moment, Orlando processing time has moved even further beyond the national average to 6.7 months, so now, I'm expecting an interview letter sometime in JUNE !!! reading.gifBy the time June comes along, who knows?! headbonk.gif I just don't get it, why is it taking them so long. Whenever I went for a Infopass (4 times), the offices were always empty. wacko.gif

When you booked the infopass, did it help in any way for getting the process to move along ?

I'm going to make an appointment request in the next few days as my status is not getting updated, still in "Initial Review" when I look online, my local office has a five month timeframe officially.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When you booked the infopass, did it help in any way for getting the process to move along ?

I'm going to make an appointment request in the next few days as my status is not getting updated, still in "Initial Review" when I look online, my local office has a five month timeframe officially.

I was told that the 5 month timeframe just means that they are under the national goal which is 5 months. I believe they are actually processing faster than that. How long after biometrics did you receive the yellow letter? If it has been awhile, there is no harm in booking an infopass. We have the same local office, and they seem to be hit or miss when it comes to updating status. With ROC, our case stayed on initial review through biometrics, an interview, and all the way to 2 1/2 months after the interview when I finally booked an infopass to see what was going on. The staus finally changed 2 weeks later to card production. So if you've had the yellow letter for awhile and not been placed in line for interview, it probably is a good idea to just make sure you aren't missing something like an interview date already set. Also, when is your 3 or 5 year mark completed? They might be waiting until it is closer to that. I'm looking forward to hearing what you found out so that I can kind of anticipate my own timeline. Good luck!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I was told that the 5 month timeframe just means that they are under the national goal which is 5 months. I believe they are actually processing faster than that. How long after biometrics did you receive the yellow letter? If it has been awhile, there is no harm in booking an infopass. We have the same local office, and they seem to be hit or miss when it comes to updating status. With ROC, our case stayed on initial review through biometrics, an interview, and all the way to 2 1/2 months after the interview when I finally booked an infopass to see what was going on. The staus finally changed 2 weeks later to card production. So if you've had the yellow letter for awhile and not been placed in line for interview, it probably is a good idea to just make sure you aren't missing something like an interview date already set. Also, when is your 3 or 5 year mark completed? They might be waiting until it is closer to that. I'm looking forward to hearing what you found out so that I can kind of anticipate my own timeline. Good luck!

Did the Biometrics on the 3rd of Dec.

Yellow letter arrived on the 31st Dec.

Since then I've received no updates or change in status, thus my concern. Thanks for the info that you shared on your experience, it confirms to me that a infopass appointment is needed.

I made a InfoPass appointment for next week, so hopefully I will be able to get more info and get things moving along.

Been a green card holder since 2006, conditions fully removed in 2008.

Filed: Timeline

I'm done with the interview. Passed with flying colors :dance:

Here is my interview experience. Hope it helps whoever is still anxiously waiting for the interview.

I applied based on 3-yr marriage. Interview was scheduled for 8:35AM at the San Jose office. We arrived around 8:20AM. After the security checkpoint, we were told to show our interview letter and our IDs. Then we were sent to the 2nd floor where there was a decent-sized waiting room with around 30 people already waiting. The room has multiple doors and two windows where you drop off your interview letter to join the waiting list. When a door opens, either a name is called or a interviewee exits. After 30mins, my name was called. A very kind 50ish Filipino guy led me to his office. I was asked to stand and raise my right hand for oath. Then we got into the first part of the interview: information verification. Some basic questions were asked first, like my full name and address and my marital status. At the same time, he pulled out this gigantic block of file and started flipping through it. He asked how my married life was. I said it was ok (just like any married person would say). He also asked me about my wife's occupation and my last trip abroad. During the whole time, he was stamping and check-marking some paperwork. He then asked me if I had filed tax for last year and quickly realized that it might be too early for filing tax cuz most people wait till the last minute to do it. To his surprise, I said yes, we did e-file our tax recently online and handed him a copy of the tax forms. He only asked for tax from last year. Then he asked how we celebrated Chinese New Year. I told him we went a Vietnanmese restaurant, which he happened to know. He seemed to be satisfied with all the anwsers and decided to move on the the second part of the interview: English + Civics test. Those were very standard just like any of the other interview experience described. I passed all six questions. Then he handed me a paper with a big "Congratulations" on it, and told me to wait for my oath letter. We shaked hands and I exit with a big smile.

That's it. Now I hope the oath letter will come soon.

Well, I had my interview and it wasn't bad but it could have gone better.

I applied under the 5-year rule. Interview was at 8:20, we got there at 8:05, checked in, went up to the 2nd floor, and I was in the interviewers office by 8:15. After a short friendly chat and the oath, she right away said that she had noticed that I had said that I wanted to change my name (wanted to star using married surname instead of maiden surname). My green card, SSN, passport from Canada, driver's license is all in my maiden name. Well, she said that my name has been Monique >>married surname<< all along (really not sure how) and that it's not actually considered a name change but that because I hadn't listed Monique >>married surname<< on the N-400 application that she would go ahead and interview me but that I couldn't be approved today because they now have to do a name check under Monique >>married surname<< which they didn't do before because I hadn't written it down. wacko.gif At that point, she said it should only take a couple of weeks.

Well, at that point I did relax a little. I was disappointed, but it was no point arguing. And then we got down to the rest of the interview. We went through my application line by line to make sure nothing had changed, she compared my passports (current AND expired) to ensure that all my listed trips abroad had been document correctly, confirmed that the ticket I got back in 2003/2004 was under $500 (she never even wanted to see the paperwork) and then without missing a beat asked me the 6 questions. I was asked:

1. What group of people were brought to the US as slaves?
  2. What is the name of the Vice Pres. of the US?
  3. How many amendments are there?
  4. Why did Americans fight the British?
  5. Who makes federal laws?
  6. And the last I really can't remember.

I had to read "Who can vote?" and then I had to write "Citizens can vote."

So I'm recommend for approval pending the outcome of the name check and the IO said the next step will be to wait for the Oath Letter in the mail. She said it shouldn't take more than 6 weeks. Remember before though she said 2, so I have no idea how long it will actually take.

So at this point, I'm still here playing the waiting game with you guys. Here's hoping for good news for everyone else who's up to bat this week, and a quick turnaround for me!

Mo

I'm done with the interview. Passed with flying colors :dance:

And because scabbage deserves a congrats apart from my own posting ... Congrats!!!!!

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Did the Biometrics on the 3rd of Dec.

Yellow letter arrived on the 31st Dec.

Since then I've received no updates or change in status, thus my concern. Thanks for the info that you shared on your experience, it confirms to me that a infopass appointment is needed.

I made a InfoPass appointment for next week, so hopefully I will be able to get more info and get things moving along.

Been a green card holder since 2006, conditions fully removed in 2008.

Thanks for the info on your timeline. Our biometrics was 3 weeks ago, so I suppose we will be hearing something soon. Our 3 years won't actually be up until the end of March, so hoping for a date just after that and an on-the-spot approval. Good luck to you, and hope you get some good news at Infopass.

event.png

congrats to marie09, scabbage, mozplay, and all for their updates and information

mozplay, I had a speeding ticket less than $200, it's paid, and I did not really mention that in my N-400 app, does that matter? am I gonna get in trouble?

Thank you.

Thanks, alacranita .. yes it was a VERY early start to the day. I was exhausted when we got home and passed out in front of the TV.

ammali, I think you are fine. Someone once said that it's noted somewhere that USCIS only wants to know about it if it's over $500 in fines. That was the only question she asked me about it. I am just uber cautious. If I were you, I'd simply take proof of paying/settling the ticket to the interview and then you can ask the IO when you get there.

timeline.gif

I-130 for Parents - 2013
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Thank you, I sure will get the receipt of the paid ticket,

Thanks, alacranita .. yes it was a VERY early start to the day. I was exhausted when we got home and passed out in front of the TV.

ammali, I think you are fine. Someone once said that it's noted somewhere that USCIS only wants to know about it if it's over $500 in fines. That was the only question she asked me about it. I am just uber cautious. If I were you, I'd simply take proof of paying/settling the ticket to the interview and then you can ask the IO when you get there.

Edited by ammali

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.