coke

Question regarding divorce

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello folks,

Background: I married my college girlfriend back in 2005 while still in college in Indiana. We applied for my citizenship in 2006 and received an un-conditional 10 year card (bypassed the 2 year conditional one because we had already been married for 2 years at the time of receiving green card) in March 2008. In May of 2008 we separated because of irreconcilable differences and our divorce for final in August of 2008. Soon after that I met someone else and was married again in January 2009, love at first sight :) The woman I married was also a US citizen by birth just like my ex-wife. In January of this year 2012 we celebrated our 3 year anniversary but I did not want to apply for my citizenship based on our marriage, I wanted to wait for another year and apply based on the 5 year rule rather than the 3 year marriage rule.

Question: I will be applying this December, since it'll be 90 days to my 5 year anniversary of being a permanent US resident. Question I had was when I have my interview down the road will be divorce from my first wife be an issue, considering we separated and divorced soon after I received my green card? I know when we married we did it because we loved each other and when we divorced it just wasn't there anymore. Also, I know I'll soon be married for 4 years to my current wife, also a US citizen, but I'm not basing my application on marriage, I want to do it through the 5 year rule. Will I have any issues because of my last marriage since I got my green card because of my last marriage?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

You filed for you RESIDENCY in 2006, not citizenship. You're applying for citizenship in December.

had you married someone from your home country there might be a problem with this "new" marriage, thinking that you married the ex for immigration reasons only. But given the new wife is a USC then I doubt it'll be an issue at all... whether you wait for the 5 years or file now based on marriage.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Correction: Yes, filed for Residency in 2006, will be applying for citizenship this December based on the 5 year residency requirement and NOT marriage based. But yes, my wife and ex-wife are both US citizens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.