Aviator56h

I-130 petition questions

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

First, you must understand YOU are the petitioner. On each petitioner, the beneficiary is YOUR alien relative. Your wife has a husband, YOU and a son. Your stepson has no spouse or children, so answer none. If you were filing for your mother, her husband would be (hypothetically) your father and YOU would be your mother's son. Get it?

This is incorrect. Assuming the stepson is unmarried, the answer for 17C on the petition for him will be "NONE" as he has no spouse or children.

See how confusing this thing can be??? :rofl:

Okay, let's see if we all can get on the same page.

Petition "A" is for my wife.

Line 17 C asked "list husband/wife and all children of your relative" I assuming its asking for my wife's name, our daughter and her son (which her son is 13 years old). Where it says "relationship"? I also assuming its asking how there all related to me (example: her name, relationship? Wife, date of birth xx/xx/xxxx, country of birth: Belarus) stepsons name, stepson, xx/xx/xxxx, Belarus. Our daughters name, my daughter, xx/xx/xxxx, Belarus. Would this be right they way I show it in this message?

That's how I'm assuming there asking on this I-130. Petition "B" is going to be for my stepson. So, how would I do this on line 17 C? Just him in line 17 C?

Chad

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

See how confusing this thing can be??? :rofl:

Okay, let's see if we all can get on the same page.

Petition "A" is for my wife.

Line 17 C asked "list husband/wife and all children of your relative" I assuming its asking for my wife's name, our daughter and her son (which her son is 13 years old). Where it says "relationship"? I also assuming its asking how there all related to me (example: her name, relationship? Wife, date of birth xx/xx/xxxx, country of birth: Belarus) stepsons name, stepson, xx/xx/xxxx, Belarus. Our daughters name, my daughter, xx/xx/xxxx, Belarus. Would this be right they way I show it in this message?

That's how I'm assuming there asking on this I-130. Petition "B" is going to be for my stepson. So, how would I do this on line 17 C? Just him in line 17 C?

Chad

Regarding petition A, you are incorrectly assuming that question 17C is asking how the people there are related to you, that is NOT what it is asking. That question is asking how the listed persons are related to the beneficiary.

This is how you answer 17C for petition A:

• Your name - Husband - your date of birth - the country you were born in
  • Her son's name - Son - his date of birth - the country he was born in
  • Your daughter's name - Daughter - her date of birth - the country she was born in

For petition B, "NONE" is what is to be written in 17C. As I said before and unless you correct me, I'm assuming your son does not have a spouse and has no children.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Regarding petition A, you are incorrectly assuming that question 17C is asking how the people there are related to you, that is NOT what it is asking. That question is asking how the listed persons are related to the beneficiary.

This is how you answer 17C for petition A:

• Your name - Husband - your date of birth - the country you were born in
  • Her son's name - Son - his date of birth - the country he was born in
  • Your daughter's name - Daughter - her date of birth - the country she was born in

For petition B, "NONE" is what is to be written in 17C. As I said before and unless you correct me, I'm assuming your son does not have a spouse and has no children.

This answer is incorrect for petition A. Only the foreign spouse's husband, the petitioner, and NATURAL or adopted children go in that section but there would be no consequence in listing the petitioner's children there too. They would just ignore it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi,

I hope this trick will help address your confusion. Remember, you are the petitioner, your relative is the beneficiary.

1. Petitioning for your wife: When reading out the questions about the relative/alien relative, read it out by replacing relative/alien relative with "wife".

Example for 17C: List husband/wife and children of your relative --> This means "List husband and children of your wife" --> of which you write down your name (because you are the husband of the relative being petitioned) and the names of your wife's children

2. Petitioning for your stepson: When reading out the questions about the relative/alien relative, read it out by replacing relative/alien relative with "stepson".

Example for 17C: List husband/wife and children of your relative --> This means "List husband/wife and children of your stepson" --> of which you write down NONE if your stepson is not yet married and has no children. I am assuming he is not married and has no kids yet because he is only 15 years old, right?

Lastly, always listen to your wife's instructions. Just kidding! I'm being biased :D

Good luck!

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Timeline

Okay, I understand this part now (17 C). Now for the next question that just got thrown in by my wife just morning. Right now, she's on her end getting all her paperwork needed. Her question she wanted me to ask VJ'ers is "Do we have submit copies for every pitition?" For example, our marriage certificate? Does she make two official copies with translations for every pitition?

Chad

Timeline

Okay, I understand this part now (17 C). Now for the next question that just got thrown in by my wife just morning. Right now, she's on her end getting all her paperwork needed. Her question she wanted me to ask VJ'ers is "Do we have submit copies for every pitition?" For example, our marriage certificate? Does she make two official copies with translations for every pitition?

Chad

Yes. Each petition must stand alone, if separated. Yes, definitely provide a photocopy of the marriage certificate and translation, if applicable with each petition. The original marriage certificate and translation will go in at the NVC stage, not now.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Hi,

I hope this trick will help address your confusion. Remember, you are the petitioner, your relative is the beneficiary.

1. Petitioning for your wife: When reading out the questions about the relative/alien relative, read it out by replacing relative/alien relative with "wife".

Example for 17C: List husband/wife and children of your relative --> This means "List husband and children of your wife" --> of which you write down your name (because you are the husband of the relative being petitioned) and the names of your wife's children

2. Petitioning for your stepson: When reading out the questions about the relative/alien relative, read it out by replacing relative/alien relative with "stepson".

Example for 17C: List husband/wife and children of your relative --> This means "List husband/wife and children of your stepson" --> of which you write down NONE if your stepson is not yet married and has no children. I am assuming he is not married and has no kids yet because he is only 15 years old, right?

Lastly, always listen to your wife's instructions. Just kidding! I'm being biased :D

Good luck!

I listen to her while I bow down at her feet begging "please, don't hurt me" (laughing). Never, NEVER argue with a woman !!!! Specially a female lawyer. I tell guys there's two very important things to remember when dealing with wives. 1) when she's getting snippy at you? Just say "yes dear" as you slowly walk backwards trying to find a door to get out, BUT, DO NOT LOOK HER IN THE EYES WHILE YOU DO THIS !! 2) if she's looking at herself in a full length mirror and she asks you "does my butt look big?" DON'T ANSWER IT !!! It's a trick question that has no answer that will work !!! It's best to not let her know your in the house if she's in front a mirror. Sneak out as soon as possible !!!! (Laughing). :rofl:

Yes. Each petition must stand alone, if separated. Yes, definitely provide a photocopy of the marriage certificate and translation, if applicable with each petition. The original marriage certificate and translation will go in at the NVC stage, not now.

Thank you

Chad

I listen to her while I bow down at her feet begging "please, don't hurt me" (laughing). Never, NEVER argue with a woman !!!! Specially a female lawyer. I tell guys there's two very important things to remember when dealing with wives. 1) when she's getting snippy at you? Just say "yes dear" as you slowly walk backwards trying to find a door to get out, BUT, DO NOT LOOK HER IN THE EYES WHILE YOU DO THIS !! 2) if she's looking at herself in a full length mirror and she asks you "does my butt look big?" DON'T ANSWER IT !!! It's a trick question that has no answer that will work !!! It's best to not let her know your in the house if she's in front a mirror. Sneak out as soon as possible !!!! (Laughing). :rofl:

Thank you

Chad

When she reads this, you're dead, I'm pretty sure of that! :no: Kidding!

Anyhow, good luck and hope all goes well!

CR-1 VISA

USCIS

06/20/2012 - I-130 mailed

06/27/2012 - NOA1 (SMS)
08/28/2012 - I-130 Approved (2 months after NOA1; No RFE)
09/01/2012 - NOA2 (Mail)

NVC
09/18/2012 - NVC Case number, I-864 invoice and DS-3032 received via e-mail (3 weeks after I-130 Approval)
09/18/2012 - I-864 fee paid; DS-3032 e-mailed(used DS-3032 e-mail template)
10/02/2012 - DS-3032 acknowledged(2 weeks after e-mailing DS-3032)
10/03/2012 - IV invoice received via e-mail
10/04/2012 - IV fee paid
10/22/2012 - I-864EZ packet delivered
11/05/2012 - I-864EZ accepted (No RFE)
11/09/2012 - IV packet delivered
11/27/2012 - Confirmed case complete via phone call; received NVC instruction letter with interview date via e-mail

US EMBASSY - MANILA
12/18 & 26/2012 - Medical
01/04/2013 - Interview @ 6:15 AM (APPROVED @ around 10:10 AM)
01/10/2013 - Passport and IV packet delivered (in 4 business days)

04/30/2013 - POE: SEATTLE, WA

05/14/2013 - SSN received

05/21/2013 - GC received

10/07/2013 - 1st Day @ 1st Job

ROC

02/21/2015 - I-751 mailed via USPS

02/27/2015 - Received NOA1 in the mail (Receipt date: 02/23/2015)

05/14/2015 - Biometrics appointment (Original 3/24)

08/28/2015 - GC ordered

Naturalization

05/16/2016 - N-400 mailed via USPS

05/23/2016 - Received NOA

06/15/2016 - Biometrics appointment

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

On line 17 section C

What exactly they want to know? My wife says just put me, our daughter and her son (and there relationship to each other), but I think there asking to put her, our daughter and my stepson and there relationship between me and them. Which is right? Her or me?

Damn, she wins another one (laughing). So, on that line I put me, my stepson and our daughter and the "relationship" to me, right? And as far as the putting last name first, I can just put first, middle and last? Those little tidbits confussed me. I want to make sure we get it right the first time.

So, this pitition I'm doing is for my wife,, then I have to do a seprate pitition on my stepson, right? We already did the paperwork on our daughter and she already has her US passport, so we don't have to do a pitition for her.

This answer is incorrect for petition A. Only the foreign spouse's husband, the petitioner, and NATURAL or adopted children go in that section but there would be no consequence in listing the petitioner's children there too. They would just ignore it.

In previous posts by the OP, the OP says "our daughter" and makes a reference to doing a CRBA. Because of this, I surmised that "their daughter" is a child betweeen the OP and the foreign spouse and gave the response that I did.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

In previous posts by the OP, the OP says "our daughter" and makes a reference to doing a CRBA. Because of this, I surmised that "their daughter" is a child betweeen the OP and the foreign spouse and gave the response that I did.

If the foreign spouse has two children, list both, yes.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.