one...two...tree

Calorie-Restricted Diets Now Proven To Drastically Slow Aging Process...

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

aging.5.600.jpg

Canto, left, a rhesus monkey, is aging fairly well at 25 on a calorie restriction diet. Owen, though only a year older than Canto, is frail and moves slowly. He eats a normal diet.

This approach, called calorie restriction, involves eating about 30 percent fewer calories than normal while still getting adequate amounts of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. Aside from direct genetic manipulation, calorie restriction is the only strategy known to extend life consistently in a variety of animal species.

How this drastic diet affects the body has been the subject of intense research. Recently, the effort has begun to bear fruit, producing a steady stream of studies indicating that the rate of aging is plastic, not fixed, and that it can be manipulated.

In the last year, calorie-restricted diets have been shown in various animals to affect molecular pathways likely to be involved in the progression of Alzheimer’s disease, diabetes, heart disease, Parkinson’s disease and cancer. Earlier this year, researchers studying dietary effects on humans went so far as to claim that calorie restriction may be more effective than exercise at preventing age-related diseases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/31/health/n...artner=homepage

Filed: Timeline
aging.5.600.jpg

Canto, left, a rhesus monkey, is aging fairly well at 25 on a calorie restriction diet. Owen, though only a year older than Canto, is frail and moves slowly. He eats a normal diet.

Yeah and don't they look happy. The one on the right looks like "if I don't get some more to eat someone going to get hit in the head with a #######."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I read that in the WSJ today as I stuffed another piece of cake in my mouth

Tests carried out on animals raise an interesting issue, much like stem cell research. Is right to sacrifice animals to advance the well being of humans?

After all the Nazis did conduct a number of unethical tests on humans which would have been quite valuable to medical research, if they had been used. I believe most of those test were destroyed due to their inhumane nature..

Where do we draw the line when it comes to advancing the human race at the expense of being civilized and ethical? Are we justified in using any means necessary to advance the human race?

Edited by Infidel

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I reckon the reason the one on the right looks so pissed off may be something to do with the fact he is stuck in a cage for the duration of his natural life. Poor sod.

Btw, this research has been around for a long time. Comes round every few years, just like certain fashions. There are some humans who actually live on a similar diet and DO look all right for their age. Well, if you call having your ribs and back bone sticking out all the time all right.

• 7 years later...

Hm, new account, post that says nothing of substance on a 7.5 year old thread, and links to some ripoff site.

Seems legit.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Hm, new account, post that says nothing of substance on a 7.5 year old thread, and links to some ripoff site.

Seems legit.

You mean the internet isn't your most-trusted source for diet recommendations?

I love a guy who looks like he could be on Criminal Minds as either an agent or a killer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Zombie thread closed.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).