highlander08

travel to Ukraine

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all, I have been researching as much as possible on Ukraine and travel there. I already have a good Idea as to gifts to bring for G.F. and family members. :thumbs: In a book written by Elena Petrova of Elenas Models,She suggests buying Perfume or Toilet water or after shave,ect...in Ukraine at a duty free shop, :help: also silk scarf from duty free shop, Does this mean there are certain items best purchased there because of import duties.? I was thinking items made in U.S. would be better receieved. ?? If so how much are the duties.???

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Use nice words, ignore dirty words Share everything except bad ideas

Say your prayers, thank God for this family.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I have always purchased items in the US to take with me and never a problem. Chocolate is always a good item to take with you. And if it says made in the USA, even better which you will have a hard time finding in the duty free shops.And remember, duty free shops are on the outbound side ( ex. NY, LA, Miami) not when you arrive. If you want to get a much better feeling about this go to www.russianwomendiscussion.com. They also have great recommendations for first time visitors.

I never bought anything in a duty free in Ukraine. I take American whiskey, bourbon candy, t-shirts and hats for my male relatives, derby pins, and other things that are related to the area where I live (Kentucky). I gave my in-laws a coffee table book with pictures of my city, and they gave us one for Kherson.

I also used to take my wife perfume and jewelery when she was in Ukraine. Just be aware that there are limits to the amount of booze and other things you can bring in. The customs officers in Odessa are pretty aggressive about asking after jewelery, as the tax is really high and they can get a bribe if they catch you. So hide the stuff and use vip services :lol: . If you pay the vip fee, you can usually get by with extra bottles too. I never had a customs problem in Kiev.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

what do you mean by vip services.???

*The Family Rules*

Always tell the truth , Always argue naked,of course not in the childrens presence.and Don't go to bed angry.

Too much t.v is bad, too much reading is good! Family comes first, always be there.

Hands are for hugging not for hitting! Be thankful for what you have.. don't envy others

Have fun, be kind, ask first, no fussing, no whining., Husband adore her always- Wife love him forever

Sing silly, dance crazy, hug often, snuggle daily ,use your manners- Yes, please. No, thank you.

Always be nice to strangers cuz they just might be a friend you have'nt met yet..!

American products are a high preference, especially clothing. You should check the current limit of items you can bring it without import duty fees. The limit use to be $200 but I heard it is much higher now. If you have general sizes from people you plan to see and to present gifts to, you may need to change the measurements to U.S. sizes. I think things like hooded sweatshirts for men works well as long as they are not too small. For women they should be colorful and definitely reflect as American clothing. It makes them look unique, which is what all women want to do.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all, I have been researching as much as possible on Ukraine and travel there. I already have a good Idea as to gifts to bring for G.F. and family members. :thumbs: In a book written by Elena Petrova of Elenas Models,She suggests buying Perfume or Toilet water or after shave,ect...in Ukraine at a duty free shop, :help: also silk scarf from duty free shop, Does this mean there are certain items best purchased there because of import duties.? I was thinking items made in U.S. would be better receieved. ?? If so how much are the duties.???

Bring anything you buy here in your suitcase, go through the green line. No problems...ever. Just in case, I remove items from original packaging.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Alla likes perfume and silk scarves. Good gift ideas but you can buy them anywhere. Alla prefers "Kenzo Summer"

Gary And Alla

what do you mean by vip services.???

At most Ukrainian airports you can pay extra for VIP services. A van takes you from the plane to a separate lounge, and they walk you through customs, bring your luggage to you, help you with any forms. It is really just paying a bribe in advance, so that they look the other way if they find things to hassle you about. I even forgot my customs exit form once (back when they required those), and they laughed about it. There is a departure lounge in Odessa, and a separate part of the bar with comfortable seats you can get into.

I advise any newbie to Ukraine, or any one that is bringing valuables (like jewelery) to just pay the fee once and try it.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Hello all. I just read this at a ukraine airport site. Ukraine baggage handlers have been known to steal contents from cases. Use a secure suitcase and if possible, get your luggage securely wrapped at your departing airport. Any one aware of this Also GARY are you referring to Boryspil or zhulyany. ??

*The Family Rules*

Timeline

Hello all. I just read this at a ukraine airport site. Ukraine baggage handlers have been known to steal contents from cases. Use a secure suitcase and if possible, get your luggage securely wrapped at your departing airport. Any one aware of this Also GARY are you referring to Boryspil or zhulyany. ??

Boryspil

Everything in Ukraine and Russia is subject to be stolen. Mail is horribly unreliable because nearly anything which looks like it may be more than a birthday card gets stolen. Never use regular mail to send anything IN to Ukraine or Russia (probably Belarus also but I do not know)

That said, I never wrapped my bags or had anything stolen but I am not surprised it is a frequent event. I also would not be surprised to find that there are a large number of fraudulent claims of stolen items...scams work both ways you know.

Why are you adamant about not having checked baggage? You are not going to have much space for gifts in a carry on. When we go (there is usually 3 of us together or closely together) we each take TWO suitcases a carry on and a laptop case. That's 6 bags. At least 1 of them, usually 2, are full of gifts. Alla collects this stuff all year, she gets nice clothes for her friends at clearance sales, season closeouts etc. Just let Macy's have a clearance sale with sweaters at $7 each and she goes wild! Now if you can deliver "Macy's" or other name brand sweaters to your friends for $7 each in Ukraine you will be greeted like a Rock Star and their entourage! We have computers at our flat in Donetsk. The laptop bags are usually smuggled laptops which our friends have purchased and we are delivering. They go online and buy them from Best Buy and specify delivery to the store in Williston, VT USA. We pick them up and VOILA! We bring "our" laptops and OOPS sometimes we forget to bring them home. I hate when that happens. Maple syrup (quart size for friends, 1 gallon for Momma) and 4oz bars of "Lake Champlain Chocolate", a local chocolatier that makes really good chocolate.

While we are there, Alla scarfs up all the good stuff which is cheap in Ukraine, pharmacueticals, contact lenses, voodoo medicines, oils, potions, lotions...you know, all that stuff that is no good in the USA. She easily fills a large suitcase with this stuff and forces it on us whenver we are sick injured or just generally need it for our "health". I used to bring back, um, lets just say...more cigarettes than allowed. Now I usually just get a few cartons for friends since I quit smoking. You get a CARTON of cigarettes in Ukraine for the price of a PACK here. I used to pay for at least MY plane ticket with smuggled cigarettes. A few bottles of "real" (meaning "real cheap")vodka for friends (we don't drink it) One of the suitcases contains Alla's shoes which needed repair, purses that needed repair, knives to be sharpened (she brings every knife in the kitchen!) She also has her annual dental check-up, eye exam and this year several medical tests which determined she has, what SHE calls "premature arthritis" developing in her hip. "premature" ???? :lol: "Your hip only LOOKS like it is 22 years old!!! but actually your SON is 22 years old."

So, basically, our trips to Ukraine resemble the first manned mssion to the moon! Um, yeah, welcome to the RUB life. :lol:

Find space for a checked bag. :P

Gary And Alla

Timeline

American products are a high preference, especially clothing. You should check the current limit of items you can bring it without import duty fees. The limit use to be $200 but I heard it is much higher now. If you have general sizes from people you plan to see and to present gifts to, you may need to change the measurements to U.S. sizes. I think things like hooded sweatshirts for men works well as long as they are not too small. For women they should be colorful and definitely reflect as American clothing. It makes them look unique, which is what all women want to do.

Fortunately, for us, Alla knows the people well that she buys clothes for. Most are old college classmates or even going back to grade school. So she knows sizes and preferences. As 1HappyGuy says though, you cannot go worng with sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. Clothes are expensive in Ukraine, especially foreign made clothes (realtive to their income) so it is greatly appreciated. A sweater you buy here on clearance for $7 may be worth, to them, one week's pay! FSU people tend to be very conscious of how they "look" and how their things look. So being able to wear a sweater that looks like "a week's pay" makes them very happy.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary, What about jewelry in general like a nice anne kline watch , pearl necklace , various other jewelry to take over when I go. even the diamond engagement ring. do they have to be declared on customs list, and then open door for greedy customs looking for bribes.??? can they be in carry on luggage and do they go through x-ray machine like here in the states. whats best way to get these items in. also how does it work when she comes over here is there any customs problems for her to bring the items with her.???

*The Family Rules*

Gary, What about jewelry in general like a nice anne kline watch , pearl necklace , various other jewelry to take over when I go. even the diamond engagement ring. do they have to be declared on customs list, and then open door for greedy customs looking for bribes.??? can they be in carry on luggage and do they go through x-ray machine like here in the states. whats best way to get these items in. also how does it work when she comes over here is there any customs problems for her to bring the items with her.???

Don't take jewelery through customs and declare it. It willbe taxed. Either use VIP and hide it, or hide it and take your chances. If she is wearing it, there will be no problem either direction.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

the tax on some electronics are based on what they would cost to buy in Ukraine. Apple products are about double in Ukraine. I always take some things for the family. do not take a watch to your wife or fiance as it is bad luck..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I brought in a bunch of stuff on my last visit (more than allowed by the guidelines). They did scan all luggage through an X-Ray machine when coming in (in Dnipropetrovsk), looked at me like I was nuts, but never said anything to me so I just smiled at them and left. They probably didn't want to hold up the line as there were a bunch of people behind me. Also, they only scanned luggage, not your carry-ons so you can bring stuff in there and they won't know.

In Kyiv, they selectively make people scan their luggage, but if they choose you, they will probably be more attentive as to what you're bringing in.

If they do stop you, you'll either have to pay import tax, leave them some item that they like, or slip some cash their way and they'll usually let you go. In any case, I have never seen anyone go through the red channel at customs in Ukraine, so they know that everyone brings stuff in without declaring it.

Edited by vbtwo

1/4/13 - I129-F Sent | 1/8/13 - Received by USCIS
1/10/13 - NOA1 to VSC | 1/11/13 - Text/Email | 1/17/13 - Hard Copy Received
1/16/13 - Alien Registration Number changed
5/24/13 or 5/29/13 - Case Transferred to TSC
7/2/13 - NOA2 from TSC! (173 days from NOA1) | 7/6/13 - Hard Copy Received
7/18/13 - Shipped to NVC | 7/26/13 - Received at NVC and case number assigned
7/29/13 - In transit to consulate | 7/31/13 - Received by consulate
8/20/13 - Medical - Passed | 8/21/13 - Interview - Approved!
8/28/13 - Passport with visa ready to pickup from courier
10/17/13 - POE - JFK
10/28/13 - Applied for SSN and marriage license | 11/2/13 - SS card received
11/21/13 - Wedding

12/30/13 - I485/I765/I131 Sent | 1/2/14 - Received by USCIS
1/3/14 - NOA1 to NBC | 1/16/14 - Hard Copy Received
2/4/14 - Biometrics
3/7/14 - AP and EAD approved!
3/11/14 - AP/EAD card mailed | 3/14/14 - Received
4/10/14 - Interview Waiver letter
6/16/14 - Approved! | 6/21/14 - GC Received

5/2/16 - I-751 Sent | 5/5/16 - Received by USCIS
5/6/16 - NOA1 to VSC
6/14/16 - Biometrics

4/19/17 - Approved! | 4/22/17 - Letter received | 5/4/17 - GC Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.