highlander08

travel to Ukraine

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello all, I have been researching as much as possible on Ukraine and travel there. I already have a good Idea as to gifts to bring for G.F. and family members. :thumbs: In a book written by Elena Petrova of Elenas Models,She suggests buying Perfume or Toilet water or after shave,ect...in Ukraine at a duty free shop, :help: also silk scarf from duty free shop, Does this mean there are certain items best purchased there because of import duties.? I was thinking items made in U.S. would be better receieved. ?? If so how much are the duties.???

Buy whatever you want here, bring it there. Keep mouth shut, go to green line. Elena sells books and needs to write something to put in the books. I don't sell books but bring a couple suitcases full of gifts to Ukraine every year.

Hint: If caught...bribes are cheaper than taxes.

Edited by Gary and Alla

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I never bought anything in a duty free in Ukraine. I take American whiskey, bourbon candy, t-shirts and hats for my male relatives, derby pins, and other things that are related to the area where I live (Kentucky). I gave my in-laws a coffee table book with pictures of my city, and they gave us one for Kherson.

I also used to take my wife perfume and jewelery when she was in Ukraine. Just be aware that there are limits to the amount of booze and other things you can bring in. The customs officers in Odessa are pretty aggressive about asking after jewelery, as the tax is really high and they can get a bribe if they catch you. So hide the stuff and use vip services :lol: . If you pay the vip fee, you can usually get by with extra bottles too. I never had a customs problem in Kiev.

Who knew? :lol:

I'm shocked! I had no idea there was gambling going on in Casa Blanca!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Boryspil

That said, I never wrapped my bags or had anything stolen but I am not surprised it is a frequent event. I also would not be surprised to find that there are a large number of fraudulent claims of stolen items...scams work both ways you know.

While we are there, Alla scarfs up all the good stuff which is cheap in Ukraine, pharmacueticals, contact lenses, voodoo medicines, oils, potions, lotions...you know, all that stuff that is no good in the USA.

I wrapped my suitcase once in Odessa. TSA cut the plastic off the bag in Chicago and destroyed it in the process. Word to the wise.

I wonder if Vika could buy ambien in Ukraine?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

Never had any problems in Odessa or Kiev going in or out. When entering just follow the green line. When asked if I had any money or anything to declare always said no and just kept walking...Had to pay a "fee" once when flying from Kharkov to Turkey because my companion did not have the proper documentation for her small son to leave the country...

Edited by Tanya and Barry

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.