cillyx5

Horror stories at the MTL consulate?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I've read quite a few reviews on the MTL consulate... And all seem to show a very quick and smooth interview process.

Are there any horror stories or bad experiences out there?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-05-29
I-130 Sent : 2012-06-26
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-07-02
I-130 Approved : 2012-08-21
NVC Received : 2012-08-29
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2012-09-29
Pay I-864 Bill 2012-08-31
Return Completed I-864 : 2012-09-19
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2012-08-30
Receive IV Bill : 2012-09-11
Pay IV Bill : 2012-09-11
Case completed at NVC : 2012-10-15
Interview: 2012-12-03
Result: APPROVED!!!!!!! :)
Passport received by Loomis: 2012-12-07

POE: Vancouver, BC

POE: 12/28/2012

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS, I-751

Vermont Service Centre

Date filed: 11/05/2014

NOA: 11/07/2014

Biometrics: 12/11/2014

Interview: N/A

Approved: 25/06/2015

I551 stamp:

Green card received:

Timeline

I've read quite a few reviews on the MTL consulate... And all seem to show a very quick and smooth interview process.

The few that have had some difficulties tend to be people that were not born in Canada! Come from countries that have high fraud rates, or countries that are not friendly with the USA.

Then their are the domicile issues--whole thread at the top regarding that. Where the USA citizen is residing in Canada-(whole thread on it,lol)

Some that have had a criminal background

If your a born in Canada Canuck and who have triple checked that you have all your paperwork, and been honest all along, its a cake walk!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Thanks for the support.

It's great to hear that there aren't many bad experiences at our consulate.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
Marriage (if applicable): 2012-05-29
I-130 Sent : 2012-06-26
I-130 NOA1 : 2012-07-02
I-130 Approved : 2012-08-21
NVC Received : 2012-08-29
Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 2012-09-29
Pay I-864 Bill 2012-08-31
Return Completed I-864 : 2012-09-19
Return Completed DS-3032 : 2012-08-30
Receive IV Bill : 2012-09-11
Pay IV Bill : 2012-09-11
Case completed at NVC : 2012-10-15
Interview: 2012-12-03
Result: APPROVED!!!!!!! :)
Passport received by Loomis: 2012-12-07

POE: Vancouver, BC

POE: 12/28/2012

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS, I-751

Vermont Service Centre

Date filed: 11/05/2014

NOA: 11/07/2014

Biometrics: 12/11/2014

Interview: N/A

Approved: 25/06/2015

I551 stamp:

Green card received:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yep - we're very lucky to not be a high fraud country and have no language barriers.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Got my IR1 approved on October 17th and I have to say that it was a flawless procedure. I was denied at the border in 2008 (now THAT was a horror story) so I was terrified of what they might ask me. Let me tell you, it was YEARS of me thinking the very worst of the interview and in the end, the actual interview was no more than 5 minutes. The adjudicator asked me no more than 6 or 7 very basic questions, none of which were difficult. The most difficult one was probably "Walk me through your relationship", only because it was an open ended question.

From the time I got in line to the minute I walked out of the consulate, no more than 2 hours had lapsed. So the majority of that time was waiting for my number to be called and even THAT wasn't bad at all!

In case you're curious, aside from my denial in 2008 (all due to our naiveté), there isn't a thing about my past or my relationship that would give me any problems. Not sure what made my case so easy for them to approve, but I have to say that it was a really pleasantly surprising day!

Timeline

Got my IR1 approved on October 17th and I have to say that it was a flawless procedure. I was denied at the border in 2008 (now THAT was a horror story) so I was terrified of what they might ask me. Let me tell you, it was YEARS of me thinking the very worst of the interview and in the end, the actual interview was no more than 5 minutes. The adjudicator asked me no more than 6 or 7 very basic questions, none of which were difficult. The most difficult one was probably "Walk me through your relationship", only because it was an open ended question.

From the time I got in line to the minute I walked out of the consulate, no more than 2 hours had lapsed. So the majority of that time was waiting for my number to be called and even THAT wasn't bad at all!

In case you're curious, aside from my denial in 2008 (all due to our naiveté), there isn't a thing about my past or my relationship that would give me any problems. Not sure what made my case so easy for them to approve, but I have to say that it was a really pleasantly surprising day!

Timeline

Thats ur typical interview for a boring Canadian(no criminal record, not born in another country)! They are very quick!

Edited by Flames9_RN

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The elevator opens from the back! That's the scariest thing...

Easy as pie. All this time waiting, and the interview is 15 minutes long (or less)

My only issue was that they couldn't get a read on my fingerprints (apparently they're shallow...what?), so we had to do them multiple times which resulted in a 3 hour visit. No other problems though, easy peasy.

For information on our K1/AOS/ROC journey please see my 'About Me' page on my profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.