benoi027

Travel after AP approval but before card in hand

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I just got the excellent news that my AP/EAD was approved. My sister had a child last week, and I am desperate to go visit/help out before beginning my full time career. I am scheduled to start working by November 5th, and would really love to spend a decent amount of time with my family before that date. Anyone have experience with traveling to your home country after approval but before having the AP card in hand? I could have my husband fedex it to me in Canada prior to returning, but don't want to risk potentially being denied re-entry.

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with this?

Thank you so much for your input!

Travelling without AP would technically void your AoS application if an extremely diligent IO noticed that you left the US before you received the EAD / AP combo card.

That being said, it's unlikely that anything bad will happen from doing it, but why run the risk for the sake of a few days? You will have the card in your hands in a week or so.

There is also the issue of potentially being stuck outside the US if there is an error on your card (typo in name, wrong country of citizenship, etc.; it has happened before).

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Make an infopass and ask them to print you a copy of the travel documents on the spot.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

They would likely only do that in an emergency situation which this is not.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Thank you so much for the replies- I know it's a long shot, but I've made an Infopass appointment for Monday morning to see if I can get the card printed on the spot. If they're unable/unwilling to do that, I'll stay in the US until I receive the card to be sure I don't cause any issues. Hypnos, you make very good points and those are not risks I'm willing to take!

I'll update after the appointment Monday.

Filed: Timeline

Your AP has been approved and there is the option of having it sent to a consulate in Canada for pickup. However, once you receive the approval, the card should arrive in no time at all. In other words, it is perfectly alright for you to leave the country following AP approval..... it will not void your status. Having it couriered when it arrives is fine. But that's supposing it arrives prior to the time you want to return to the US. Stick with your plan of the InfoPass. You may be trapped outside the country otherwise.

iagree.gif

Alright everyone, here's an update...

I went to an Infopass appointment this morning, and wasn't able to have anything given to me on the spot. The clerk I dealt with stated they didn't have access to the machine necessary to print documents, and she wasn't sure how anybody would have been able to acquire emergency documents (which is most definitely something that has been done in the past). Honestly, she didn't seem very well informed about the process- I used acronyms EAD and AP, and she didn't know what they were. The entire appointment lasted about three minutes and I left feeling like it was a complete waste of the hour long drive over there!

She did state that since AP has been approved, I would be able to leave and have it couriered to me in Canada without abandoning my AOS. She didn't mention any of the concerns that have been brought up here (card not arriving before I have to return to US, errors on the card, etc). However, based on the fact that I seemed to have more knowledge of this system than she did, I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking her word for it. I think I will wait for the card for as long as I can, and if it hasn't arrived by my deadline, I'll leave without it and hope for the best!

Thank you again to everyone for your feedback. This forum is, as always, the best resource for information!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Alright everyone, here's an update...

I went to an Infopass appointment this morning, and wasn't able to have anything given to me on the spot. The clerk I dealt with stated they didn't have access to the machine necessary to print documents, and she wasn't sure how anybody would have been able to acquire emergency documents (which is most definitely something that has been done in the past). Honestly, she didn't seem very well informed about the process- I used acronyms EAD and AP, and she didn't know what they were. The entire appointment lasted about three minutes and I left feeling like it was a complete waste of the hour long drive over there!

She did state that since AP has been approved, I would be able to leave and have it couriered to me in Canada without abandoning my AOS. She didn't mention any of the concerns that have been brought up here (card not arriving before I have to return to US, errors on the card, etc). However, based on the fact that I seemed to have more knowledge of this system than she did, I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking her word for it. I think I will wait for the card for as long as I can, and if it hasn't arrived by my deadline, I'll leave without it and hope for the best!

Thank you again to everyone for your feedback. This forum is, as always, the best resource for information!

You are brave gambling with re-entry. I visited Canada with my AP card and when I re-entered the USA it was essentially the same process as when I POE'd. I was nervous enough leaving with the AP card let alone leaving with hoping it comes to me in the mail while out of the country. After that trip I decided to wait out my greencard, traveled with it and it was the easiest re-entry yet! Good luck!

Love Changes Everything

N-400 Process

May 29, 2016 paperwork sent in

June 3, 2016 check cashed! Text message received.

June 2, NOA

June 22, Biometrics

March 3 In Line for Interview

ROC Process

May 8, 2014 paperwork in hands of USCIS,California Service Center!

May 14, 2014 check cashed

June 2, 2014 Biometrics waived

July 16, 2014 10 yr greencard in hand!

AOS Process
September 29, 2011 AOS in hands of USCIS
July 9, 2012 WELCOME TO AMERICA letter!
July 11, 2012 Conditional GreenCard in hand!

K-1 Process
December 18, 2010 Our K-1 package arrived at Homeland Security
August 23, 2011 Approved
September 8, 2011 POE at Grand Portage, MN Border
September 11, 2011 Married!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update for anyone in a similar situation in the future:

I called USCIS (800-375-5283) and requested the tracking number for my EAD/AP document. Through this, I was able to see when the card would arrive. I was packed and ready to leave, and when it arrived with the mail at 1pm, I was out the door! I was able to spend 8 days with my family and still be back in time to begin work yesterday. Leaving the country was easy (they didn't even know what AP was), but it was a bit of a hassle on the way back into the US. They were very nice, but it took about an hour in secondary processing at a land border.

It took a total of 8 days for my card to arrive after I received the email that it had been ordered. I hope this help someone else in the future!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.