blank0

Travel to home country, which passport?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My wife attained citizenship in August and now has her U.S. passport, along with her Thai passport. She is traveling home this week and wondering how this will work. I told her to use her U.S. passport in Seattle upon departure, and her Thai passport upon arrival in Bangkok. The reverse coming home. She has the departure card in her Thai passport which was inserted upon her last departure from Thailand. Any first hand experience here with advice? Thanks!

Timeline

Sent I-129 application package to CSC. 9/10/07

Received hard copy NOA1 09/27/07

Received email of I-129 approval 01/31/08

Received had copy NOA2 and notice that

petition has been sent to NVC 02/05/08

Received Packet 3 03/03/08

Returned Packet 3 to Emabassy 03/06/08

Interview 06/06/08

This is a long, painful story so I'll just say that Wilaiwan finally arrived in Seattle(in a blizzard) on 12/21/08

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Correct, however, she should carry both, one way to solve this issue is to hand the customs officers both passports, they will take the correct one, I only say this as I've had conflicting information every time I enter the US. I have 2 passports (Canadian and New Zealand) and I find this it the easiest solution to present the one I think I should and just hold the other one visibly. They usually will have them both linked on her account at immigration anyway.

N400

08 Mar 20: N400 filed online

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

16 Dec 20: Biometrics

12 Feb 21: Interview (approved)

24 Feb 21: Oath Ceremony

ROC

31 Jul 15: ROC (I-751) sent

19 Jan 16: Greencard received

AOS

26 Feb 13: AOS (I-485, I-131, I-765) sent

06 Mar 13: NOA1's received

03 Apr 13: Biometrics completed

12 Sept 13: Interview - Memphis, approved!

Sept 13: Greencard received.

California Service Centre

17 May 12: I-129f sent

23 May 12: NOA1

20 Aug 12: NOA2 (89 days)

20 Nov 12: Interview in Sydney

29 Nov 12: Visa Issued

05 Dec 12: POE Honolulu

20 Dec 12: Wedding day

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

This is an interesting situation. Some home countries won't grant you entry unless you present the passport from that country, or so I've heard. I wonder what happens in case you gave up on your citizenship how would they know you only have a US passport, would they deny you entry? I thought US passport holders could travel anywhere without problems (except the middle east, Korea and China)

[Timeline]

10/13/2012 -> N-400 filed

10/19/2012 -> Check cashed

10/22/2012 -> NOA #1 letter received

10/25/2012 -> NOA #2 letter received

11/15/2012 -> Biometrics appointment

11/19/2012 -> Placed in line for interview

01/03/2013 -> Interview letter

02/12/2013 -> Interview passed

02/12/2013 -> Oath ceremony

Timeline

From my understanding, the rules apply as if you were a non-national, if you are no longer a citizen/current passport holder of that country. I'm traveling back to NZ on my Canadian passport after I do my K1 visa interview in Australia, as I'll probably have to leave my NZ passport at the embassy. In order to re-enter NZ on my Canadian passport, I'm allowed to, however, even though I'm born and raised in NZ, i have to comply with the rules as if I were anyone else traveling to NZ on a Canadian passport, I need a return ticket and have to pass immigration through the slow 'alien' lane. I'm sure every country is different, but I've had immigration officers advise me that this is the general rule.

N400

14 Mar 20: Biometrics scheduled for 31 March - cancelled due to Covid19 shutdown.  

ROC

AOS

Thanks for the replies. S.D. I very nearly immigrated to New Zealand 10 years ago, I'm a big fan!

I'm sure she could complete the trip using only her U.S. passport. and as she'd get 30 days stay on arrival it wouldn't be an issue. No need for as visa. I'm going to advise that she has both in hand at each encounter. Should cover it. Thanks again and good luck in Aus S.D.

Timeline

Sent I-129 application package to CSC. 9/10/07

Received hard copy NOA1 09/27/07

Received email of I-129 approval 01/31/08

Received had copy NOA2 and notice that

petition has been sent to NVC 02/05/08

Received Packet 3 03/03/08

Returned Packet 3 to Emabassy 03/06/08

Interview 06/06/08

This is a long, painful story so I'll just say that Wilaiwan finally arrived in Seattle(in a blizzard) on 12/21/08

Timeline

Thanks for the replies. S.D. I very nearly immigrated to New Zealand 10 years ago, I'm a big fan!

I'm sure she could complete the trip using only her U.S. passport. and as she'd get 30 days stay on arrival it wouldn't be an issue. No need for as visa. I'm going to advise that she has both in hand at each encounter. Should cover it. Thanks again and good luck in Aus S.D.

There are few that visit here that don't become fan. Easy pace, easy living, clean and green. :)

Thank you for the well wishes and best of luck to your wife on her visit too.

N400

ROC

AOS

This is an interesting situation. Some home countries won't grant you entry unless you present the passport from that country, or so I've heard. I wonder what happens in case you gave up on your citizenship how would they know you only have a US passport, would they deny you entry? I thought US passport holders could travel anywhere without problems (except the middle east, Korea and China)

You need to add a few counties to this list. As a USC there are several countries you can visit with just your passport and most others will grant you a visa without too much trouble. Check this site out for travel requirements of a USC: here.

If my wife gives up her Kazakhstani passport, she would then need to get a visa to visit her family and their visas are only good for 30 days. We have a couple of years before she can apply for citizenship so we will see.

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.