Jump to content

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Guys: a question for you!

I already have a ssn and card from the time I worked as an exchange student( 4 years ago) We went to the ssn office to get the name changed and the guy refused to do so and told me you guys got married so you're no longer fiancé but spouse and I won't take k1 but you need to get k3 visa.

I told him he was wrong but he didn't seem to accept that.

I don't care that he knows nothing about immigration my point is. I really can't get my name changed on ssn?! Before I get a green card?

I don't understand it.

Thanks in advance

1/14/12 - I-129f sent to Dallas, TX, 1/18/12 - received by VSC
1/20/12 - NOA 1
7/19/12 - NOA 2 - YES AFTER 183 DAYS!!!
7/27/12 - NVC received
8/02/12 - Consulate received
8/23/12 - Medical exam appt
9/06/12 - Interview @ 9am - Approved! smile.png
9/28/12 - POE - Vienna - London - Philly

Wedding - 10/6/12 @ 1:30pm ET

10/20/12 - AOS sent to Chicago lockbox
10/26/12 - NOA1s for all 3 forms
11/28/12 - Biometrics appointment
12/29/12 - EAD & AP approved
01/08/13 - EAD combo card received

06/28/13 - AOS approved

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You technically can, but you will have to train some SSA workers. The K-3 visa thing is very wrong. Look in the SSN forum for posts from "I Quit" and then ask for a supervisor. But, if you don't succeed in training them, it makes no difference. You can change it once you have our EAD (apply for AOS in married name).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico

Wow, they are still trying to tell people they need to turn their K-1 into a K-3 when they get married? Tell them not to try to give immigration advice since they have no clue what they are talking about and stick to learning their own jobs. :wacko:

You should be able to change the name on your SSN with your marriage certificate and unexpired I-94. As Harpa said, ask for a supervisor or try a different SSA office, if you have another near enough to you. You can also contact the SSA through their website and send them an email about your situation, if the supervisor is of no help still. Sometimes they will send you a letter you can print out and show your local SSA that you are indeed eligible. Fill out your AOS paperwork in your married name. If the SSA keeps refusing you, then just go back when you get your EAD(about 2-3 months after filing) and change it then. Hopefully you will be able to school them about their own jobs/policies and not have to wait those months.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...