help_GC

I-864 Final Questions

14 posts in this topic

We just got married month back , until then my wife was working. So i was told i will need a sponsor. I am planning to use my father in law as joint sponsor. I have few questions, please help me in answering those.

i) my wife use to live with her parents before marriage, and now after marriage she lives with me. Should my father-in-law submit form I-864 or I-864A?

ii)On I-864 which is being filled by my wife, on Q 21,item 'C' should she be entering 1 or 0? And total on h is it total from a to g OR b to g?

Thanks

timeline.gif

Good Afternoon, I hope I can help!

i) my wife use to live with her parents before marriage, and now after marriage she lives with me. Should my father-in-law submit form I-864 or I-864A?

I-864. The way this works is you'll need I-864(a) from:

• Your spouse, no matter her income. (I-864)
  • Everyone who lives at your residential address, no matter their income or part in sponsorship. (I-864A)
  • The co-sponsor(s) (I-864).
    NB: You do not need I-864A's from other people residing at the co-sponsor's household if the co-sponsor has sufficient income to sponsor it alone.

I really got confused here (So I don't blame you for either!) Because the paperwork alludes that you'll need to fill in I-864A for people living with the co-sponsor, but that is not the case.

Don't forget you'll need to submit the following information for the co-sponsor.

1. Proof of citizenship (Birth Certificate)
  2. Federal Tax Returns/IRS transcripts for the latest year available and previous 2 years.
  3. W2's for the same time period
  4. Letter of employment from employer.
  5. Pay Stubs for the last 6 months (or Letter from payroll with a statement of last 6 months income)

ii)On I-864 which is being filled by my wife, on Q 21,item 'C' should she be entering 1 or 0? And total on h is it total from a to g OR b to g?

0, you can't count people twice.

Good Luck,

GrayL kicking.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.
We met in June 2010, got engaged in November 2010, and married in January 2012!
We are now living together in Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

07/04/2015: Applicable for Naturalization

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd
Check out my Flickr Page here: http://goo.gl/Yx4THU

timeline.gif

Good Afternoon, I hope I can help!

I-864. The way this works is you'll need I-864(a) from:

• Your spouse, no matter her income. (I-864)
  • Everyone who lives at your residential address, no matter their income or part in sponsorship. (I-864A)
  • The co-sponsor(s) (I-864).
    NB: You do not need I-864A's from other people residing at the co-sponsor's household if the co-sponsor has sufficient income to sponsor it alone.

I really got confused here (So I don't blame you for either!) Because the paperwork alludes that you'll need to fill in I-864A for people living with the co-sponsor, but that is not the case.

Don't forget you'll need to submit the following information for the co-sponsor.

1. Proof of citizenship (Birth Certificate)
  2. Federal Tax Returns/IRS transcripts for the latest year available and previous 2 years.
  3. W2's for the same time period
  4. Letter of employment from employer.
  5. Pay Stubs for the last 6 months (or Letter from payroll with a statement of last 6 months income)

0, you can't count people twice.

Good Luck,

GrayL kicking.gif

Thank you so much. As i go through I-864 i have few more questions

i) On the I-864 which my wife is filling out ,on 24 (b) does she have to mention that her father is going to the joint sponsor?

ii) On the I-864 which my wife is filling out, on line 23 would she enter her current annual income as $0.00 as she isn't currently employed( she was employed a month back) or just leave it blank?

i) On the I-864 which my wife is filling out ,on 24 (b) does she have to mention that her father is going to the joint sponsor?

No, just write 'None'

ii) On the I-864 which my wife is filling out, on line 23 would she enter her current annual income as $0.00 as she isn't currently employed( she was employed a month back) or just leave it blank?

Just enter '$0'

By the way, I'm going straight off my wife's I-864, she was unemployed at the time, and these answers were accepted without question.

Also, I would highly suggest you write a cover sheet for of course your entire AOS package, but also for the Affidavit of Support section. As it gets quite lengthy it's a good idea to write one and itemize the contents. On the cover sheet you should briefly explain that your wife is recently unemployed so you have included support documentation from a co-sponsor, your soon to be father-in-law.

Good Luck, keep the questions coming, I know I certainly did good.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________
My name is Gray and I'm originally from Perth, Western Australia, my wife Bry is from Montana.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

For my full K-1/AOS/AP/EA/ROC process see my timeline here: http://goo.gl/AyNVBd

No, just write 'None'

Just enter '$0'

By the way, I'm going straight off my wife's I-864, she was unemployed at the time, and these answers were accepted without question.

Also, I would highly suggest you write a cover sheet for of course your entire AOS package, but also for the Affidavit of Support section. As it gets quite lengthy it's a good idea to write one and itemize the contents. On the cover sheet you should briefly explain that your wife is recently unemployed so you have included support documentation from a co-sponsor, your soon to be father-in-law.

Good Luck, keep the questions coming, I know I certainly did good.gif

Thanks again.I am learning new things as i go through this process.

i) We are already married, so my father would still be filling out separate I-864 right?

ii) On my wife's I-864 she did select the option e on part -1 is that right?

iii) I really liked your idea of keeping a cover letter. I do have a Index section with list of all documents for each form. I would really appreciate if you can provide me a sample letter which would talk about my co-sponsor?

ops sorry, should have checked your VISA type, my apologies.

i) We are already married, so my father would still be filling out separate I-864 right?

Yes

ii) On my wife's I-864 she did select the option e on part -1 is that right?

No, tick 'A', she is the petiioner. You only tick E if you have multiple co-sponsors (Ie perhaps your mother in law and father in law).

iii) I really liked your idea of keeping a cover letter. I do have a Index section with list of all documents for each form. I would really appreciate if you can provide me a sample letter which would talk about my co-sponsor?

I'll do you one better, attached is the scan of my original letter.

28hpjrb.jpg

Good Luck! kicking.gif

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

ops sorry, should have checked your VISA type, my apologies.

Yes

No, tick 'A', she is the petiioner. You only tick E if you have multiple co-sponsors (Ie perhaps your mother in law and father in law).

I'll do you one better, attached is the scan of my original letter.

28hpjrb.jpg

Good Luck! kicking.gif

Wow, you are awesome. I am little confused now, i do need my father-in-law also to be a joint sponsor ,so now what option would my wife select in part-1 and what option would my father-in-law select in part-1 for his I-864?

Wow, you are awesome. I am little confused now, i do need my father-in-law also to be a joint sponsor ,so now what option would my wife select in part-1 and what option would my father-in-law select in part-1 for his I-864?

Your father in law would select option 'D', your wife option 'A' good.gif

Also VERY important thing to remember not on that list, Birth Certificate or other proof of citizenship for the co-sponsor, I actually got an RFE for missing it out! Don't forget to add that to the list.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Your father in law would select option 'D', your wife option 'A' good.gif

Also VERY important thing to remember not on that list, Birth Certificate or other proof of citizenship for the co-sponsor, I actually got an RFE for missing it out! Don't forget to add that to the list.

Thanks for reminding, i just called my FIL and asked him to send copy of his passport and naturalization certificate. Just our of curiosity how would USCIS know that i have another sponsor, i know there would be another form I-864 but do we need to mention it anywhere at all on my wife's I-864 that we will be using her dad as joint sponsor?

Thanks for reminding, i just called my FIL and asked him to send copy of his passport and naturalization certificate. Just our of curiosity how would USCIS know that i have another sponsor, i know there would be another form I-864 but do we need to mention it anywhere at all on my wife's I-864 that we will be using her dad as joint sponsor?

I don't know this for sure, but I imagine the officer has some sort of checklist.

• Does the petitioner meet the financial requirements? [YES/NO]

If No,

• Does the applicant have documentation for a co-sponsor? [YES/NO]

That sort of thing. No for your wife's I-864 it will not indicate anywhere about a co-sponsor, so the officer will look for it in your package because it's what's required.

I've heard you don't NEED a cover sheet, but I think it always helps, if nothing more than to show you're organized. Does that make sense?

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

I don't know this for sure, but I imagine the officer has some sort of checklist.

• Does the petitioner meet the financial requirements? [YES/NO]

If No,

• Does the applicant have documentation for a co-sponsor? [YES/NO]

That sort of thing. No for your wife's I-864 it will not indicate anywhere about a co-sponsor, so the officer will look for it in your package because it's what's required.

I've heard you don't NEED a cover sheet, but I think it always helps, if nothing more than to show you're organized. Does that make sense?

Yup. I don't know if this is right place to ask questions on G-325 A. So i came to this country on F1, got my OPT/EAD and then my H1. All this time while filling out different forms i just thought i dont have a Alien number at all, but i just realized on my EAD card ( this one for my OPT) it does have some A #, now i am not sure if that is Alien number or something else. Would you know by chance what that is?

Yup. I don't know if this is right place to ask questions on G-325 A. So i came to this country on F1, got my OPT/EAD and then my H1. All this time while filling out different forms i just thought i dont have a Alien number at all, but i just realized on my EAD card ( this one for my OPT) it does have some A #, now i am not sure if that is Alien number or something else. Would you know by chance what that is?

I'm pretty sure you will only ever have one alien number. So I would confidently guess yes that is the number you should use.

Timeline:

- NATURALIZATION, N400 -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.