manipura

Feeling frustrated...help please?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone,

This is my first post here at VJ, though I have been lurking for several months and gathering up lots of useful information. I am a Canadian citizen in Ontario and my fiance is an American citizen in Houston, TX. VJ is an extremely helpful site and my fiance and I are very glad we have found it. It has helped ease my worries and stress numerous times. However, I now find myself worrying and stressing about yet another step in this whole, wonderful process.

I am currently working on the forms that I will submit as per my Packet 3 instruction letter, the forms which I will soon send to the Consulate in Montreal. The DS-230 was a pain to fill in and print out, as it continued to repeatedly print the inputted information askew and then not at all. That's right, after filling in my information several times, it eventually starting printing a blank page 1 and a page 2 with all of my answers shifted/askew. After much frustration I have decided that I will just manually fill in that form. I have completed the DS-156 (two copies :) ) and I have completed the DS-156K as well. My question though pertains to the DS-160. One of the items listed on my Packet 3 letter is worded as follows:

4. Confirmation receipt regarding Form DS-160 - one copy, available online at

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/ – MUST PRINT AND SEND COPY CONFIRMATION

However, when I go to that website and I look at the information regarding that form, I see this:

Important Notice: All nonimmigrant visa applicants worldwide must use the online DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form, with the exception of individuals applying for a K visa, who should use the DS-156 and the DS-156K (see the Visa Categories Not Using the DS-160 section below for more information).

I have gone ahead and started the process for this form and I received an Application ID number which I printed out. However, I am unsure of whether I need to complete this whole form now? Why does my Packet 3 letter tell me I need a confirmation receipt regarding this form when the government website tells me that K Visas are not required to use this form? I am not sure what to do now and I am feeling rather frustrated.

I thought that waiting for Vermont to get things together was the frustrating/difficult part and now I find myself looking at this form and getting frustrated all over again, wondering if it's just me, if there's something glaringly obvious that I am missing. If anyone has any insight or information regarding this whole confirmation receipt, it would be very much appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Breathe IN, breathe OUT yes.gif

I moved your post to the Canada regional forum; as your question is consulate specific and we want you to get accurate replies.

However, while we wait for other Canadians to assist you, the DS156 cannot be manually filled out, as it generates a bar code that will later be scanned at the Embassy, and that will allow them to add all your information into the systems. If you were having trouble with the form, I suggest you try using a different internet browser.

Timeline

Breathe IN, breathe OUT yes.gif

I moved your post to the Canada regional forum; as your question is consulate specific and we want you to get accurate replies.

However, while we wait for other Canadians to assist you, the DS156 cannot be manually filled out, as it generates a bar code that will later be scanned at the Embassy, and that will allow them to add all your information into the systems. If you were having trouble with the form, I suggest you try using a different internet browser.

Thanks for moving me to a more appropriate forum. Also, just to clarify, I got the DS156 and DS156K successfully filled out online, it's the DS230 that is being a pain. As far as I can tell from the instructions at the top of that form, filling that one out manually is okay. :)

Humorous note (well, not really but I find that laughing at this whole frustrating process is better than crying about it ;) ):I went back to continue filling in the form in question, the DS160 which I have conflicting information on, and the application number that they gave me now cannot be retrieved! Argh. I guess I will just start that form again as well!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Thanks for moving me to a more appropriate forum. Also, just to clarify, I got the DS156 and DS156K successfully filled out online, it's the DS230 that is being a pain. As far as I can tell from the instructions at the top of that form, filling that one out manually is okay. :)

Humorous note (well, not really but I find that laughing at this whole frustrating process is better than crying about it ;) ):I went back to continue filling in the form in question, the DS160 which I have conflicting information on, and the application number that they gave me now cannot be retrieved! Argh. I guess I will just start that form again as well!

Oh oh! My bad! I thought it was the DS156 you couldn't complete correctly. I misread that!

It's definitely better to laugh about these things than cry about it! I hate when they put conflicting information there.... I hope someone can clarify this one soon good.gif

Timeline

I found filling that form out super annoying super annoying. I suggest doing it one sitting because I had issues with retrieval too. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. As for the DS230, when I tried to print mine out it also printed out blank, I opened the document again, made sure that all the information was in fact still there, and printed it again. It worked the second time. Did you try it again? I freaked out about that at first, too. You'll get it to work, don't worry! Make sure you print the confirmation of DS160 out though, and e-mail it to yourself anyways so you always have it. I ended up having to print mine again when mine printed all fuzzy.

Timeline

I found filling that form out super annoying super annoying. I suggest doing it one sitting because I had issues with retrieval too. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. As for the DS230, when I tried to print mine out it also printed out blank, I opened the document again, made sure that all the information was in fact still there, and printed it again. It worked the second time. Did you try it again? I freaked out about that at first, too. You'll get it to work, don't worry! Make sure you print the confirmation of DS160 out though, and e-mail it to yourself anyways so you always have it. I ended up having to print mine again when mine printed all fuzzy.

@codygrace:

So you did indeed fill out the DS160? The website where I was directed to fill out that form states that K Visa applicants don't have to fill it out but the instructions from Montreal tell me I do. I have also come to learn that there are a few things about the way processing is done in Montreal that is different from other consulates. Maybe this discrepancy is just another instance of Montreal being different? :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@codygrace:

So you did indeed fill out the DS160? The website where I was directed to fill out that form states that K Visa applicants don't have to fill it out but the instructions from Montreal tell me I do. I have also come to learn that there are a few things about the way processing is done in Montreal that is different from other consulates. Maybe this discrepancy is just another instance of Montreal being different? :)

ALWAYS refer to the consulate's instructions. The requirements vary from consulate to consulate; USCIS just lays out a general guideline that all the consulates have to follow but it's no consulate-specific.

According to the official packet 3 instructions for a K1 going through Montreal, you need: [source: http://montreal.usconsulate.gov/visas/visas/fianc-k-1-visas/steps/packet-3---instruction-materials-for-fianc-k-1-applicants.html]

If you are a Fiancé (K-1) applicant:

DS-230, Part I only – one copy per each applicant, including children.

DS-156 – 2 copies.

DS-156K (292KB PDF) – 1 copy.

Confirmation receipt regarding Form DS-160 - one copy, available online at ceac.state.gov/genniv.

Checklist of documents to gather for the interview – one copy per family is sufficient.

2 color photographs (Photograph Requirements)

Photocopy of the biographic data page of the applicant's passport.

You may send the documents to the U.S. Consulate General in Montreal using courier services that are offered at no extra cost for the applicant. Please visit the Visa Services website and follow instructions for "IV Applicant Needing to Register for DHL" and "Sending Document to the Consular Section". If you have any further inquiries about the courier services, please visit the U.S. Visa Services website.

So yes, you need to fill out the DS-160. If I recall correctly that's the form that asks for a digital photo, right? This form is supposed to be accessed online (hence Packet 3 says you only need the confirmation receipt), but there should be an option to print out the whole form at the end of its steps. If you can make sure to print out the confirmation receipt and the form itself. You technically only need the receipt, which should show a barcode and your photo, but it's good to have the whole form printed out too.

Timeline

When I got to my interview, they didn't ask me for any of the forms that were previously submitted in Package 3, so you definitely want to make sure it's all there prior.

And yes, of course, make sure to send everything they're asking for. But if you're having trouble with DS230 not printing, you can also submit DS260 electronically and print a confirmation of that. I think those instructions are old Pocheros, because mine and (what will be in her e-mail) says bring either DS230 filled out, or confirmation of electronic submission of DS260. I just filled out 230 instead.

Edit://

e. Form DS-230 part I or Confirmation Page of the electronic Form DS-260

I did the first one because I don't like the whole idea of electronically submitting it, if I had the other option for DS160, I would have.. But had to file electronically. Then again, I never officially got a package 3 :/

Edited by codygrace

Timeline

When I got to my interview, they didn't ask me for any of the forms that were previously submitted in Package 3, so you definitely want to make sure it's all there prior.

And yes, of course, make sure to send everything they're asking for. But if you're having trouble with DS230 not printing, you can also submit DS260 electronically and print a confirmation of that. I think those instructions are old Pocheros, because mine and (what will be in her e-mail) says bring either DS230 filled out, or confirmation of electronic submission of DS260. I just filled out 230 instead.

Edit://

e. Form DS-230 part I or Confirmation Page of the electronic Form DS-260

I did the first one because I don't like the whole idea of electronically submitting it, if I had the other option for DS160, I would have.. But had to file electronically. Then again, I never officially got a package 3 :/

Thank you everyone for the replies, I think I have everything in order now. DS-230 is still not co-operating with my printer, but I have filled it out manually and will submit it that way. The other road block I stumbled over was the question of what a Passport Book Number was. An online search was not overly helpful as I found information stating it was the same number as my passport number and then other information stating that it was a different number, the number found above the barcode on my passport. I emailed both Passport Canada and the Consulate in Montreal inquiring about where to find my Passport Book Number. The response from Passport Canada was "this is the same number as your passport number" while the response from Montreal was "this is the number above the barcode and is different than your passport number." I opted to side with the Consulate as they are going to be the ones processing my file.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for your helpful replies :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had the same problem with one of my forms - it kept printing with everything askew by one line or a few letters even though it looked good on the screen. I ended up printing it out and manually filling it out and it was ok. It wasn't the form with the bar code so that didn't matter.

Silly technology!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

I had the same problem with the DS230, when it printed.. it was either blank or all askew. So I tried something that worked perfectly. I have a free program that prints to a pdf file. So I printed my DS230 to the pdf file, then opened the pdf and printed it to my printer. PERFECT!! Nothing missing, nothing askew. And I even have a digital copy of my DS230 !! :)

PS: I had to fill in 3 of em... one for me and one for each of my kids... there was no way in H--L I was going to manually write all that info on 3 different applications!! :blink:

PS: Manipura.. I am also in Ontario and moving to Texas (Central Texas) :D

Edited by Texas22

Kimberley and Richard
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Montreal, Canada
2012-01-25 : I-129F Sent
2012-01-27 : VSC Received
2012-01-31 : I-129F NOA1 Notice Date
2012-02-01 : Touch
2012-07-05 : RFE Email (after 161 days)
2012-07-11 : RFE Received in Mail
2012-07-12 : RFE Reply Sent via USPS Overnight
2012-07-13 : RFE Reply Received at VSC at 12:16 PM
2012-07-18 : Case status updated to: "Request for Evidence Response Review"
2012-09-20 : Service Request Submitted with Tier 2 ISO
2012-09-25 : NOA2 Approved after 242 days!!
2013-01-07: Medical
2013-01-22: Interview - Approved! smile.png

My blog and video review of the Montreal Hotel that we stayed in: http://fanatictourist.com/blog/travel-tales/review-le-square-phillips-hotel-and-suites-montreal-canada/

2013-04-30: POE - Sarnia / Pt. Huron

2013-05-06: Made it legal.

2013-06-10: Apply for AOS, EAD and AP

2013-08-27: EAD / AP Received
2013-09-17: Greencard Received

2013-09-28: Wedding! smile.png

2015-06-15: Sent I-751 Application - Removal of Conditions.
2015-11-23: Approved
2015-12-02: 10 yr Green Card Rec'd.

Timeline

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. This whole process is so frustrating sometimes but each day is one step closer to getting us where we want to be :)

PS Even though I have only posted recently and only a handful of times, VisaJourney has been an incredibly helpful resource and I am more than grateful for the wealth of information provided. Thanks to everyone who makes it what it is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts. This whole process is so frustrating sometimes but each day is one step closer to getting us where we want to be :)

PS Even though I have only posted recently and only a handful of times, VisaJourney has been an incredibly helpful resource and I am more than grateful for the wealth of information provided. Thanks to everyone who makes it what it is.

Hang in there Manipura!! You are almost at the finish line!!!

NATURALIZATION -WOOOHOO

Final paperwork sent to lawyer - 14-Dec-2015

GC-Date: Resident Since 02/13/2013

Sent: N-400 Sent 12/21/2015
NOA: 12/24/2015

Biometrics: 01/20/2016
In Line: 01/25/2016
Int Ltr: 01/28/2016
Interview: 03/08/2016
Oath: 04/14/2016
Field Office: Buffalo NY

I am a US Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.