Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Green Card Holder in US, expired Canadian Passport

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada

Hey everyone! I am sure this has been done by most through the process, but i've got a few questions. Maybe someone who has done this can help me.

I've been researching and it looks like this can pretty easily be done through the mail. So I print and fill out the "Adult SIMPLIFIED RENEWAL Passport Application for Canadians applying in Canada or from the USA" from http://www.ppt.gc.ca/info/ren.aspx Then I need two passport photos to Canada's specifications. A previous passport and finally the fees.

Is that all I need? The application, photos, and an old passport? I was reading somewhere and they wanted proof of Canadian citizenship ie. birth certificate. There's no way I am going to mail my original birth certificate.

Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks everyone!

My first issued Green Card after getting married on a k1 visa expireds April 2013 so i'll be looking for information on what to do next in just a few months. Don't think I could have done any of this process without you guys!!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Timeline

You just need what they ask for in the directions. They will send it all back very quickly. If you want your old passport back you'll need to request it.

You might want to read this thread:



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada

Its pretty straight forward for the simplified process (hopefully ur passport has not been expired for greater than a year)

The biggest hiccup most have are with the Passport photos!! Trying to find a place that does them to Canada standards And then making sure they meet the specifications! Canada is VERY picky when it comes to the the quality of the pics (no shadows, correct size, etc etc)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The simplified process makes it so much easier on people. Really even the normal process is easier than when we first needed a passport to fly to the USA.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...