yourwelcome

Am i taking too much advantage of VWP

45 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Just wondering if anyone can let me know how many times they/ or someone they know has travelled to the US successfully in one year on the VWP?

I try to go out there every 3 months if i can because my boyfriend is over there and i have a flexible job and good funds which means I can travel there a lot - but since May 2011 I have had 4 trips, 3 of them being week trips and the most recent one in July being for 84 days --

I have always been allowed entry pretty easily and never been asked to show or prove anything, just asked general questions .

But this time because im looking at more jobs that require me to be there for all December and Januray.. I want to travel sooner than usual and go back on November 05, for 2 weeks, which is like 6 weeks since my last visit.

I also want to visit because his sister is going into labour but having many issues with the baby so i want to go and be there for her for moral support etc. ( im close with the family ) I'm 18 and a british citizen, My dads actually an american citizen but lives in the UK now --

Basically i'm asking can they deny me simply because they think i go there too often? And if they do..what exactly does this mean for me?

Thanks Guys :)

Just wondering if anyone can let me know how many times they/ or someone they know has travelled to the US successfully in one year on the VWP?

I try to go out there every 3 months if i can because my boyfriend is over there and i have a flexible job and good funds which means I can travel there a lot - but since May 2011 I have had 4 trips, 3 of them being week trips and the most recent one in July being for 84 days --

I have always been allowed entry pretty easily and never been asked to show or prove anything, just asked general questions .

But this time because im looking at more jobs that require me to be there for all December and Januray.. I want to travel sooner than usual and go back on November 05, for 2 weeks, which is like 6 weeks since my last visit.

I also want to visit because his sister is going into labour but having many issues with the baby so i want to go and be there for her for moral support etc. ( im close with the family ) I'm 18 and a british citizen, My dads actually an american citizen but lives in the UK now --

Basically i'm asking can they deny me simply because they think i go there too often? And if they do..what exactly does this mean for me?

Thanks Guys :)

A good rule of thumb for visitor visas is that you should be spending more time in your home country than in the US. Also, you need to show strong ties to your home country that show you will return home. It seems that your trips are becoming more frequent and longer as time goes by, this may send up a flag to the POE officer. I know you say your job is flexible, but fact is most people can't take frequent extended trips away from their job, so if it doesn't sound believable to the POE officer, there's a good chance you might get refused entry. Also when you say you're "looking at jobs" does this have to do with your current employment, or are you looking for a job here in the states? If you are looking for work, that is technically not allowed on a visitor visa and if the POE officer gets wind of it, chances are you'll be turned around.

Edited by Teddy B

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You could be turned back if the POE suspects you of trying to live in the States. If turned back you might face problems getting the VWP again as you have a denial on your record, and then would have to go the B1/B2 route, which is very difficult. It's a risk. Personally, I would take a longer break btween visits. You maybe lucky.

You shouldn't be working in the States on the VWP. If you decide to get married to your boyfriend, and this gets found out you could be in trouble.

Oh no im not working in the states i mean i have to be home as in the UK for december and january for christmas hours etc. my purpose of going to the US is just because i wna see my boyfriend and his sisters baby, and with working xmas hours at home if i didnt go in novmeber i wouldnt be able to vist until mid feb and i cant go 5 months without seeing him :(

A good rule of thumb for visitor visas is that you should be spending more time in your home country than in the US. Also, you need to show strong ties to your home country that show you will return home. It seems that your trips are becoming more frequent and longer as time goes by, this may send up a flag to the POE officer. I know you say your job is flexible, but fact is most people can't take frequent extended trips away from their job, so if it doesn't sound believable to the POE officer, there's a good chance you might get refused entry. Also when you say you're "looking at jobs" does this have to do with your current employment, or are you looking for a job here in the states? If you are looking for work, that is technically not allowed on a visitor visa and if the POE officer gets wind of it, chances are you'll be turned around.

No i mean looking for more hours of work in the UK ( christmas jobs ) which means ill be working over december and january - meaning i wouldnt be able to see him again until feb if i didnt go in november, and my trips arent becoming longer, i only had one long trip which was over summer, and each trip besides this one has been atleast 3 months apart, this one will be the only exception ..

Edited by yourwelcome

Timeline

It might seem long, but 5 months separation from your boyfriend is not very long in the grand scheme of things. Please try not to screw-up your Visa Waiver, because they are worth their weight in gold. Try to get your bf to visit you here in the UK.

It might seem long, but 5 months separation from your boyfriend is not very long in the grand scheme of things. Please try not to screw-up your Visa Waiver, because they are worth their weight in gold. Try to get your bf to visit you here in the UK.

I know but it seems like forever, and my boyfriend came here not that long ago and he struggles to get time of work which is why i pretty much always do the travelling -- im pretty content in giving it a shot becuase i really want to be there fr his sister , so do u think there is no chance atall that they'll let me in but tell me to try and stay out a while after that?

No i mean looking for more hours of work in the UK ( christmas jobs ) which means ill be working over december and january - meaning i wouldnt be able to see him again until feb if i didnt go in november, and my trips arent becoming longer, i only had one long trip which was over summer, and each trip besides this one has been atleast 3 months apart, this one will be the only exception ..

Your last trip to the states was 84 days, so yes, your trips are getting longer. No one can say for sure, all you can do is try.

I'm kind of in the same boat, except i have an CR-1 in process now.

My first trip in May was for 3 weeks, then I visited him again in September for 3 weeks, when we filed the I-130. I am going to try to visit him in December for just under 3 months. It's possible I will be denied, so we have made plans for if that happens (me returning to my home country, NZ, rather than the country I live in now, while we wait the visa out).

I think in general you just have to plan for the worst and if it turns out not to be the case, then great. I'm also in the same circumstance that my husband can't get time off work- he's in the military and they aren't so flexible with his leave, so it's always been up to me to do the travelling.

See my timeline for my expedited I-130 application due to military pcs

n-400

Expedited naturalization (under s 319(b) INA) due to military pcs

n-400 sent: 2013-02-02

NOA1: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date rec: 2013-02-15

Biometrics date: 2013-03-07 (EB walk in 2013-02-20)

Second biometrics: 2013-03-19 (First set unclassifiable)

Inline for interview: 2013-03-21

Testing/interview date: 2013-03-27

Oath ceremony: 2013-03-27

Moving to Germany! 2013-04-13

I'm A United States Citizen

I'm kind of in the same boat, except i have an CR-1 in process now.

My first trip in May was for 3 weeks, then I visited him again in September for 3 weeks, when we filed the I-130. I am going to try to visit him in December for just under 3 months. It's possible I will be denied, so we have made plans for if that happens (me returning to my home country, NZ, rather than the country I live in now, while we wait the visa out).

I think in general you just have to plan for the worst and if it turns out not to be the case, then great. I'm also in the same circumstance that my husband can't get time off work- he's in the military and they aren't so flexible with his leave, so it's always been up to me to do the travelling.

It really sucks having someone u care about so much in another country doesnt it! U wna take as many trips there as u can and they make u feel like a criminal! :( But yeah, hope for the best i guess -

If say i was denied though, and in the future me and my boyfriend wanted to file a K1 visa to get married, would being denied affect this? Because im just worried that being denied will ruin everything we have together and there will be no other way to be together :(

It really sucks having someone u care about so much in another country doesnt it! U wna take as many trips there as u can and they make u feel like a criminal! :( But yeah, hope for the best i guess -

If say i was denied though, and in the future me and my boyfriend wanted to file a K1 visa to get married, would being denied affect this? Because im just worried that being denied will ruin everything we have together and there will be no other way to be together :(

Your being denied on a tourist visa will have no affect on a K-1 or Cr-1.

Timeline

Hi,

I visited my boyfriend for 12 days in April 2010. Then went back for 3 months with my son, from July-Sept'10. I then went back again from Nov'10-Jan'11. This time I was questioned for a long time in a seperate room and then the officer took all of my belongings into a separate room and searched through them. I was then allowed entry.

My next 3 month stay was April'11-July'11 and I was asked 2 questions and let through.

My next trip was for 7 weeks from Oct-Nov'11. This time me and my son were taken to a separate room and asked a lot of questions again. The officer was firm, but ok. I had paperwork to show her I had to be in court at the end of November (custody hearing) and she let me through. However she said I had, had too many trips on the VWP, and next time I come over I should have some sort of visa. She said she would hate for me and my son to get turned straight back to the uk after a 7 hour flight.

I told my boyfriend who then proposed and we filled for the K-1 visa. I had to spend 9 months in the U.K waiting for all the paperwork to get processed and my fiance came over twice to visit. It was tough, but we got through it and now I'm living in America, happily married :)

My advice is wait until after christmas, I know it's hard being away from your loved one, but be patient.

I heard from someone, you are only suppose to have one, three month stay a year and then they won't let you in, although there's nothing that says that in the VWP. Well, I pushed it and being questioned was horrible.

If you do decide to go, you will need to show really strong ties to the U.K. Proof of your job, rent agreement/mortgage etc and even then then could deny entry. On the other hand it could be like my third trip, where I was asked 2 questions, 'how long are you staying for' and 'who are you staying with' I answered 11 weeks and my boyfriend and was let through?!

Like Celeste says, if your father is American, couldn't you get an American passport?

Timeline:

Dec 31st 2011- I-129F sent
August 2nd 2012- INTERVIEW- APPROVED
August 10th 2012- Visas received
August 21st 2012- P.O.E Boston!

September 11th 2012- Applied for SSN.
September 16th 2012- MARRIED!!!
September 17th 2012- Received SSN.
October 26th 2012- Sent off AOS forms.

January 16th 2013- EAD and AP card issued.
January 26th 2013- Card received in mail.

May 29th 2013- Service request, as outside of processing times.

June 25th 2013- Green card/EAD stamp received in passport. Green card production ordered!

July 5th 2013- Green card arrives :)

August 22nd 2014- Daughter Born!

April 17th 2015- I-751 Sent.

April 20th 2015- NOA 1

June 2nd 2015- Biometrics Appt.

February 2nd 2016- I-751 APPROVED! 10 Year Green card issued!

February 22nd 2019 Applied for Citizenship! 

March 14th 2019 - Biometrics appt.

April 23rd 2019 - Interview. APPROVED!!!!!  It took 60 days!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.