akdiver

Open Hailing Frequencies...

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, my wife has been using one phone card or another to chat with folks back in Russia. From here at least, the best rate she was getting was maybe 20 cents/minute, with a wide range on what you could get with different cards.

I had looked at VOIP, but Vonage refused to state whether or not its service would work landlines where I wanted to call. After repeated attempts at getting info, I finally told them off in the worst sort of way.

I had looked at Skype before, but they had always wanted a social security number (or fragment thereof) to take a credit card to pay for the optional "Skype Out" service. Obviously I was not amused at this and they got told off much more quickly than the folks at Vonage did.

So, I gave up for a while, and she just used phone cards with the 20 cent/minute rate. Well, recently, I bought a Logitech USB headset, for recording my audio exams for my Russian class. This got me inspired to see what the current state of being with Skype is. Well, they no longer require a SSN or fragment thereof to pay for their services. At 2 cents/minute for Moscow & St. Petersburg, with 5 cents/minutes where she wants to call in Russia, it's pretty cheap. With the Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350 headset and Skype, she reports excellent communications quality. You guys might want to check it out.

That is all!

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Well, my wife has been using one phone card or another to chat with folks back in Russia. From here at least, the best rate she was getting was maybe 20 cents/minute, with a wide range on what you could get with different cards.

I had looked at VOIP, but Vonage refused to state whether or not its service would work landlines where I wanted to call. After repeated attempts at getting info, I finally told them off in the worst sort of way.

I had looked at Skype before, but they had always wanted a social security number (or fragment thereof) to take a credit card to pay for the optional "Skype Out" service. Obviously I was not amused at this and they got told off much more quickly than the folks at Vonage did.

So, I gave up for a while, and she just used phone cards with the 20 cent/minute rate. Well, recently, I bought a Logitech USB headset, for recording my audio exams for my Russian class. This got me inspired to see what the current state of being with Skype is. Well, they no longer require a SSN or fragment thereof to pay for their services. At 2 cents/minute for Moscow & St. Petersburg, with 5 cents/minutes where she wants to call in Russia, it's pretty cheap. With the Logitech® Premium USB Headset 350 headset and Skype, she reports excellent communications quality. You guys might want to check it out.

That is all!

Cheers!

AKDiver

My wife has been using a Mozart calling card for several years to call her relatives in various regions in Russia. For Russia calls it costs 6.8 cents/minute. There are cheaper cards we have tried, but the connection was terrible. My wife's relatives are amazed that she is calling Siberia from the USA and the connection is so clear. Here is the link for Mozart. The same company sells other cards too. For us, using the card on our regular house phone is the most cost effective.

http://www.callingtheworld.pushline.com/p/info.php/Mozart

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

I've been using Skype for several months and love it. They have kept loosening the restrictions I had when first started... a $10 a month per card feature seems to be gone. Can buy in $25 chunks which lasts a while, and no longer have to limit on number of purchases on credit card.

Jim

That is all!

Cheers!

AKDiver

09-Mar-06: Visit Tatiana in Omsk

13-Mar-06: Propose to Tatiana, she says yes! :)

11-Apr-06: Send I129F

18-Apr-06: NOA1

01-Jun-06: Transferred from Nebraska to California

15-Jun-06: Visit Tatiana and Celebration in Omsk

03-Jul-06: Receive IMBRA RFE

05-Jul-06: Return IMBRA RFE

11-Jul-06: RFE accepted email

31-Jul-06: APPROVED NOA2!!!

07-Aug-06: Touched (Send to NVC touch?)

10-Aug-06: NVC received

16-Aug-06: NVC letter sent

21-Aug-06: NVC sent to Moscow

23-Aug-06: DHL delivers to embassy

12-Sep-06: Rcvd Packet from embassy

25-Oct-06: Interview at embassy - VISA APPROVED!!!

03-Nov-06: Reunited again in Detroit!

25-Nov-06: Married =)

04-Dec-06: Filed AOS

07-Dec-06: NOA1

26-Dec-06: Biometrics

19-Dec-06: RFE requested

26-Dec-06: Received RFE

27-Dec-06: Sent back RFE

03-Jan-07: Email of RFE acceptance

06-Mar-07: Interview - 'Green cards should arrive 1 to 2 weeks in mail' =)

09-Mar-07: Received welcome emails

10-Mar-07: Received K2 welcome letter

12-Mar-07: Received K1 welcome letter

15-Mar-07: Greencards arrive!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Question: About how many hours per month, on average, do your wives spend talking to people Russia? (For those whose wives are in the USA.)

The rate from my home phone is a flat fee of $4.79 per month, plus 15-cents per minute (16-cents to mobile) via AT&T. All calls are directly dialed. I get clear reception to house phones and to mobile phones. No calling cards. Nothing else to keep up with.

I've been looking into other international calling plans, but... no decision to change yet.

from Andrew

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Try:

http://www.uniontelecard.com/phonecards/2051//rates/

4.0 Cents to Anywhere in Russia

1.2 Cents to Moscow

1.5 Cents to St. Petersburg.

The trick is to use the local access numbers. And even if you don't have one, use your cell phone during your unlimited minutes like nights and weekends to call those local access numbers.

It's a great deal. My wife goes through about 4 cards at $5 each a month and gets like 8 hours of talk time.

I think these rates even beat Skype.

Also no hidden fees or taxes.

Edited by Satellite

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I've been using Nobelcom.com for my calling cards which gives me about 30 hours of talk time (I talk to my fiancee at least 3 times a day in excess of 2 hours a day) for $100. Which equates to about 1.8 c/m. Which isn't too bad but their service has gotten worse over the last couple of months. I think they are just trying to use cheaper carriers and it's not getting better. I'm definitely interested in checking out this skype.

16/10/2006- Interview date- I'm nervous and my fiance is cool calm and collective. And she's the one that has to do the interview.

I'm not sure if the rate is still valid for new customers; but when I joined 'Lingo' HERE you could select Russia as part of your international calling plan that is inlcuded in your regular bill.. That's the only way I can afford to call Natasha twice a day for 1-2 hours; as well as our friends there..

Maybe you have to ask for that calling plan now, I dont see it listed anywhere. :unsure:

Your current calling plan:

Lingo Unlimited International Plan

Price: 49.95/mo.

Unlimited minutes to Western Europe and lots of other international locations like Mexico and Russia.

Unlimited minutes to the U.S. and Canada, plus free in-network calling.

========================

8/10/2006- NOA1 Receipt Date

8/17/2006- Touched

10/2/2006- APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/17/2006- Case at NVC, MOS# assigned

10/25/2006- Case sent to Moscow, it's on the way!!!!!

11/06/2006- Case arrived at Moscow!!!

01/17/2007- Interview Date Scheduled!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I call Anna in Saratov with Vonage (14.95/mo) 12cents a minute. I had planned on using that when she got here. I will look into some of the options mentioned here because the seem a bit better.

Paul Misses Anna

i guess i can top all of the above...

well not me exactly but seemingly european company

www.voipcheap.com

calls to land lines in most countries are free (Russia included of cause), quality is often better than Skype(depends on the region one's calling, Skype prooved to be not too reliable for me). After one trial period you have to put 10euro on your acount.

I'm using that initial amount of money for several months already to call cell phones in Russia.

It' nice to keep your yearly international calling bill under 13$...

obender

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I use a VOIP phone at home. www.sunrocket.com - works out to ~$18/mo, unlimited US calling. Russia is 10 cents/minute, 3 cents/minute Moscow/St Petersburg. No calling cards to mess with, I've been using it for a year. I still call Russia frequently (I found a native speaker studying English there - who is about at my level, so I'm trading English practice for Russian practice.)

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I use a VOIP phone at home. www.sunrocket.com - works out to ~$18/mo, unlimited US calling. Russia is 10 cents/minute, 3 cents/minute Moscow/St Petersburg. No calling cards to mess with, I've been using it for a year. I still call Russia frequently (I found a native speaker studying English there - who is about at my level, so I'm trading English practice for Russian practice.)

Yup, I'm using Sunrocket too and they give $3 credit each month for international calls. We make at least a few calls each month using it just to use up the credit, then I use one of the enjoyprepaid plans for the rest of the calls. They have a good rate to Russian cell phones at 4 or 5 cents a minute as I recall.

Paid for the Sunrocket for one year for a total of $200 which is $16.67 a month. They give me 2 phone numbers in my choice of area codes, unlimited long distance in the US and Canada,caller ID, voice mail, international calling credit, and a lot more. Works well for me. Beats the hell out of the local phone company.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: Timeline
Try:

http://www.uniontelecard.com/phonecards/2051//rates/

4.0 Cents to Anywhere in Russia

1.2 Cents to Moscow

1.5 Cents to St. Petersburg.

The trick is to use the local access numbers. And even if you don't have one, use your cell phone during your unlimited minutes like nights and weekends to call those local access numbers.

It's a great deal. My wife goes through about 4 cards at $5 each a month and gets like 8 hours of talk time.

I think these rates even beat Skype.

Also no hidden fees or taxes.

No hidden fees.... but you do have to pay 69cents every 14 days.... not what I want to do...

I use Continental or something like that... 2 cents for St. Pete... no fees at all... sometimes a bad connection, but just call back and usually get a good one... I have tried a few others, and all have a problem with connections at one time or another..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

prolly not helpful...

but we use www.pennytalk.com to call back to Oz.

It's cheap as long as you don't ring cell phones. Don't know what rates to russia are but worth checking I guess

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I buy Cardinal Card at Zvonite.com

I like that this card requires no commitment and has no Maintenance Fee and no tax. The rates are 2 cents to call to Moscow, 2.2 cents to St. Petersburg, and 6 cents to anywhere else in Russia.

They also offer cheaper cards as well as Web-calls and SMS initiated calls, but these options require some commitment :lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.