Shari

US Citizens might be moving to Vancouver

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

:goofy: Hello. My English husband just received his U.S. citizenship last month. He is now being considered for a job in Vancouver that just came up. The salary is very good but I know the cost of living in Vancouver is high.

Would some of you that currently do or did live in Vancouver give me your thoughts on the area and housing prices for renting and/or buying. We currently live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama and I know right away there will be a HUGE climate difference. We currently rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, one level, attached 2-car garage with a medium sized front and backyard in a subdivision for $1050.00 a month. Our electricity (no gas) averages $90 in the winter and $175 in the summer. How might these prices compare to Vancouver and does Vancouver had houses to rent or only apartments? Any information on Vancouver you could give me money-wise would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

04/08/05 . . . . Sent I-129F to TSC

08/31/05 . . . . London Interview - APPROVED

AOS PROCESS:

10/06/05 . . . . Sent AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago Lockbox

05/16/06 . . . . APPROVED.

REMOVING CONDITIONS PROCESS:

03/03/08 . . . . Sent I-751 packet to TSC.

02/27/09 . . . . APPROVED.

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

05/21/12 . . . . Sent N-400 packet to Dallas lockbox

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:goofy: Hello. My English husband just received his U.S. citizenship last month. He is now being considered for a job in Vancouver that just came up. The salary is very good but I know the cost of living in Vancouver is high.

Would some of you that currently do or did live in Vancouver give me your thoughts on the area and housing prices for renting and/or buying. We currently live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama and I know right away there will be a HUGE climate difference. We currently rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, one level, attached 2-car garage with a medium sized front and backyard in a subdivision for $1050.00 a month. Our electricity (no gas) averages $90 in the winter and $175 in the summer. How might these prices compare to Vancouver and does Vancouver had houses to rent or only apartments? Any information on Vancouver you could give me money-wise would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! :goofy:

You could go on craigslist and get a very rough idea on what it would cost to rent a house or an apartment. Vancouver housing market is pretty $$$$. Gas is a lot more than in the USA--but cheaper than England,lol One pays a lot more in Sale tax on stuff than what you would pay in the USA--that where the $$$$ comes for the "free" healthcare,lol

Vancouver is a nice area,lots to see and do. The mountains are close by, the ocean is right there!! I resided in Victoria for nearly 10 yrs and enjoyed it. Very little snow (usually) in Vancouver in the winters, but can be a lot of grey, rainy days instead!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm from the Vancouver area (in a neighbouring suburb) and unfortunately it is one of (if not the) most expensive places to live in Canada. Around where I live you could rent a nice basement suite or apartment for $1050 a month - there is no way that would cover a 3 bedroom house, especially the size you are talking about. If you wanted to save money you could live further away from Vancouver in the suburbs area where it gets a little cheaper but then you have to deal with a long commute as well as the price of gas which is high too.

Like Flames said, it is a beautiful area to live in - the scenery of the oceans and the mountains is one that I love taking photos of, and going on nature walks in. It is the most temperate place in Canada as far as moderate temperatures go year round - it rarely snows, just a few days or a week a year usually, but it does rain quite a lot except in the summer where it is pretty dry (one of the rainiest areas of North America - hence the coastal rainforests).

If you want to buy a house in downtown metro Vancouver you would probably have to pay at least a million - your options would most likely be to rent a condo but it's still quite pricey. So, super small, or out of the city would be your best choices.

I'd suggest doing what Flames said - look up some prices on craiglist:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/

Feel free to ask any more questions... I am going to miss living here but Washington isn't all that different climate wise.

Oh one more thing - do you know where the job opportunity is? It makes a big difference if it is in downtown Vancouver or a neighbouring area (Richmond, Surrey, Coquitlam, etc) for pricing.

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline
:goofy: Thanks both of you. I had a thought . . . what do you think of the idea of living near the border in Washington and just driving into Vancouver for work? That way the housing may be cheaper and the gas would be cheaper. I don't really know any cities over the border and would certainly not consider as far south as Seattle as that would be over a 2 hour drive, but looks like a 1 hour drive just into Washington. Just asking. Thanks! :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

09/11/12 . . . . Interview in Atlanta. Oath ceremony same day. Keith is a U.S. Citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A number of cross-border Canadian/American couples actually do that while they are going through the immigration process. One of the popular places for the US partner to live is in Bellingham, Washington - about 45 miles from Vancouver - and drive the distance. The amount of time spent driving would vary depending on traffic and of, course, how far you need to travel into BC, plus any possible delays at the border, but that is doable. Bellingham is also supposed to be a nice community.

Your husband should check, however, whether his job requires him to live in the area. Some employers request that so they know you are accessible to the job on short notice, if necessary.

Also, if the job is not directly in downtown Vancouver you should look at some of the other neighbouring communities near that side of the City.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Vancouver is a pretty big city! I know some of the traffic coming in and out of the city is horrendous during rush hour

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would suggest looking into living in a smaller suburb (Coquitlam, Burnaby, Richmond) because housing costs will be less, but still expensive. A 3BR home would be at least $1500 to rent, probably more. It depends on the landlord though.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We currently live on the Gulf Coast in Alabama and I know right away there will be a HUGE climate difference. We currently rent a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, one level, attached 2-car garage with a medium sized front and backyard in a subdivision for $1050.00 a month. Our electricity (no gas) averages $90 in the winter and $175 in the summer. How might these prices compare to Vancouver and does Vancouver had houses to rent or only apartments? Any information on Vancouver you could give me money-wise would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU! :goofy:

I'm so moving to Southern Alabama now :)

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Timeline

Even if you lived in Blaine, WA it would still be a crazy commute. The commuter traffic in and out of Vancouver is nuts, and the border crossings, alone, would kill you. :lol: But, I suppose, a NEXUS pass would help out in that regard. It's a tough call. You'd have to look at the numbers and the pros and cons. I would take Vancouver over Alabama any day, though.

iagree.gif

Timeline

I'm so moving to Southern Alabama now :)

:goofy: Where are you moving to in Alabama? I lived in the Birmingham suburbs most of my life but have lived down near Mobile now starting our 4th year. :goofy:

Even if you lived in Blaine, WA it would still be a crazy commute. The commuter traffic in and out of Vancouver is nuts, and the border crossings, alone, would kill you. :lol: But, I suppose, a NEXUS pass would help out in that regard. It's a tough call. You'd have to look at the numbers and the pros and cons. I would take Vancouver over Alabama any day, though.

:goofy: A couple things I have seen is that in Canada they do not have any of our cell phone companies (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) and we just signed a new 2-year contract with Verizon last month that we couldn't use and would pay a hefty sum to get out of. Then I wonder what the fees are for getting a driver's license and for registering a car in Canada too. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

Timeline

:goofy: So what are you guessing for a commute in time? Blaine is supposed to be (by Google maps) a 30 minute drive to Vancourver. What realistically would it be with the commuter traffic you think? And again, the gas is sooooo high in Canada - YUCK! I just seems like we would have more $ living in Washington between housing costs and gas costs. :goofy:

I would suggest looking into living in a smaller suburb (Coquitlam, Burnaby, Richmond) because housing costs will be less, but still expensive. A 3BR home would be at least $1500 to rent, probably more. It depends on the landlord though.

:goofy: Okay, I will look into those suburbs. Thanks for the names, it helps. :goofy:

K1 PROCESS:

AOS PROCESS:

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS:

Timeline

I don't think Google maps factors in TRAFFIC! Its truly terrible during rush hours! Now Vancouver does have a metro, but like anywhere else that has a metro train and u live near it---more ur housing is going to cost.

:goofy: A couple things I have seen is that in Canada they do not have any of our cell phone companies (Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.) and we just signed a new 2-year contract with Verizon last month that we couldn't use and would pay a hefty sum to get out of. Then I wonder what the fees are for getting a driver's license and for registering a car in Canada too. :goofy:

I have a friend who moves back and forth between the US and Germany frequently, and he has been able to get out of US cell contracts and had his smartphone unlocked by saying he is moving abroad for good. You might need to do some complaining, but it's worth a shot. Even if you end up having to pay to get out of the contract, for me it wouldn't be worth the time, misery, and money you'll spend on gas just to keep from paying to get out of your cell contract.

Timeline

I have a friend who moves back and forth between the US and Germany frequently, and he has been able to get out of US cell contracts and had his smartphone unlocked by saying he is moving abroad for good. You might need to do some complaining, but it's worth a shot. Even if you end up having to pay to get out of the contract, for me it wouldn't be worth the time, misery, and money you'll spend on gas just to keep from paying to get out of your cell contract.

Yes we gout out of our verizon contract as we moved out of the USA. Took a bit of talking, but got it done!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

:goofy: Where are you moving to in Alabama? I lived in the Birmingham suburbs most of my life but have lived down near Mobile now starting our 4th year. :goofy:

Oh I'm not moving, but after seeing how much you pay for your place there, I want to move there. I pay almost as much for a 1 bedroom apt here in Colorado, plus you don't get winter there. Even better and you have 'Bama Football too. :)

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.