melly

More kids with second marriage?

231 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello all, happy Saturday. :)

I've been thinking for a long time about this subject and I see that there are other people here who must have thought about it as well.

I have a son from my first marriage and he'll be 12 next month.

His father and I share custody so we each have him about half the time.

I know that it's common or expected for married women in the middle east and surrounding areas to start having kids once they get married. At least, that's my impression.

However, I'm in my mid-late 30's at this point, and with a 12 year old, I'm really not that eager to start the child rearing process all over again.

My fiance and I have talked about this ALOT and have come to a decision, however I know that no matter what we decide, the final decision is up to Allah. ;)

Anyways, it seems that there are several other women around here who are getting remarried who already have kids and I'm wondering how you feel about having more kids with a second marriage?

Thanks to anyone willing to share their thoughts on this. :star:

Allah tries his chosen people through many hardships, but those who persevere through adversity, surrendering themselves before the will of Allah, shall be blessed with a superb reward.

-The Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reported by Anas bin Malik

A time will come when the sky is torn apart; when the stars scatter, and the ocean drains away; and when the graves are tossed about, and laid open. At that time every man will be told what he has done, and what he has failed to do; and every woman will be told what she has done, and what she has failed to do.

-Qur'an, Al-Infitar, Surah 82:1-5

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is a good question, I am interested to see how people answer.

I think you are right that it is expected for newlyweds to start having kids soon after they are married. I think generally speaking it would be abnormal for a man to marry a woman who is not capable of having kids as family is so highly valued in the ME/NA. This is something I wonder about when we see younger men marrying women who are 15 or 20 years older than the man. I know not everyone in these countries wants kids but it is pretty much expected by the families in most places.

Good question!

Filed: Timeline

I have 2 sons - 25 and 21 and had my tubes tied after my second son was born, so I hadn't even considered having another child, even divorced my last husband when he wanted kids. Abdel knew all this when he married me and never expected kids. Now that we're married, I realize what a great dad he would be and if he still wants kids when I graduate in 2 1/2 years, we will get my tubes untied and try. I never in my life wanted kids, but then again, I never in my life expected to have a marriage like this either. I think having the right partner makes the whole world change.

I wouldn't say have another kid just for a man, but if you can see yourself being a mom again, and it's something you want to do together, then why not consider it?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't have any perspective on the MENA aspect of this issue, but I'd thought I'd just mention my experience. My parents had me when they were very young - I was the only child out of their marriage. They both remarried several years later and now I have four brothers and sisters ranging in age from 8 to 13.

When my mom got pregant with my sister I was 16. She was worried about how I'd feel about it. I love my little sister so much, but I will admit that at times I felt like an outsider in the "new family", especially when returning home during school breaks and such. I'm well over that now though. :lol:

Your right about women becoming preggo after marrying in ME/NA countries...i can remember two weeks after i married Sofyan his mom use to pat my stomach wishing for a baby to be there, I would laugh it off as they all know i was still young when we married....we will try next year inshallah....and i pray god blesses us with 3 or 4 beautiful children

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Actually Jac, i was under that impression too like sara, I know many people who married a second wife because their first could not have children....its sad, but i guess alot of men over there feel that they are not men without children to carry on their name

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hachemi knew from the very beginning of our relationship that I could not have any more children. After spending the last 3 days with my two, 3 yr old granddaughters and my 7 week old grandson. He was very happy about playing with them and spoiling them and sending them back to their moms. :lol:

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Filed: Timeline

Yousuf and I have discussed the possibility and "what ifs" in case I'm not able to have more children and he says it wouldn't affect our relationship... he also says he never wants another wife even if it means he doesn't have children of his own. He says my children are like his children and he loves them like they're his.

Of course there's always the argument that our men would say anything to get a GC :whistle::lol: but seriously I don't think it's quite as big a deal as is being made here.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Really Sarah, abnormal? I never thought it to be that.

Jackie

I also stated that I'm sure there's just some who don't want kids.

I have talked about this a lot with Hicham and he said in Morocco what he knows is that people who get married have kids and that starting a family is highly valued in their culture. Maybe it is different in Jordan I will have to ask JP but from what I have learned from her it seems like both her and her fiance have huge familes.

I don't think this is a sterotype and I am sure that others would agree that family is valued much more (generally) in the ME/NA than in the US. I have heard many stories like the one Kelly said about how after they got married her Mother in law was ready for some grandkids.

I'm just saying what I saw in Morocco and what Hicham has told me about family and children. It wasn't meant to be taken as an insult and I hope it wasn't.

Maybe szsz and JP or any other Arabs or those of you who have lived abroad can share your experiences with family in the ME/NA?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hello all, happy Saturday. :)

I've been thinking for a long time about this subject and I see that there are other people here who must have thought about it as well.

I have a son from my first marriage and he'll be 12 next month.

His father and I share custody so we each have him about half the time.

I know that it's common or expected for married women in the middle east and surrounding areas to start having kids once they get married. At least, that's my impression.

However, I'm in my mid-late 30's at this point, and with a 12 year old, I'm really not that eager to start the child rearing process all over again.

My fiance and I have talked about this ALOT and have come to a decision, however I know that no matter what we decide, the final decision is up to Allah. ;)

Anyways, it seems that there are several other women around here who are getting remarried who already have kids and I'm wondering how you feel about having more kids with a second marriage?

Thanks to anyone willing to share their thoughts on this. :star:

I have a child from my first marriage , my son is now 10. I plan on having more children (inshaAllah). We have decided to wait a few years to get our lives started together. I pray that Allah will bless us with a daughter the first time around.... :wub:

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I think generally speaking it would be abnormal for a man to marry a woman who is not capable of having kids as family is so highly valued in the ME/NA. This is something I wonder about when we see younger men marrying women who are 15 or 20 years older than the man. I know not everyone in these countries wants kids but it is pretty much expected by the families in most places.

Not really that abnormal. :no: I know many women married to ME/NA men that have children from a previous marriage and due to reasons, they choose not to have more children. I'm still young, have 2 children from a previous marriage and due to reasons beyond my control, had to have a partial hysterectomy at a young age. My husband knew this from the moment we began talking along, with his family. He considers my children his own. :yes: I do have many friends that have said they would be a surrogate for us, but we're not going to rush into anything at this point. My hubby loves me for who I am and not if I can/cannot reproduce. :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.