grumpymcdorky18

Underpaid?!

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is not the easiest area, so I would tread lightly. I've seen positions have very large salary ranges. I've been an executive in a couple of Fortune 500 companies and you might be amazed at how large the ranges can be, even in very large companies. If you asked for a salary that was within the range but at the lower end, they might have seen that, since you're coming from another country, it might take some time to be accustomed to how things work in the US and would consider that you might start below average. They might see it as fair, especially if that's what you asked for.

While you can certainly ask for more, they might be quite surprised that you asked for one thing recently before you started, and then shortly after getting the job you asked for something significantly higher. I know I would be surprised. You can state your case but you may be pushback (and rightly so from their part). You can also look for something new and may or may not find something significantly higher. You could keep doing what you're doing and if you find you are performing above average for your position, take advantage of annual reviews or a later discussion with your supervisor to point that out, along with the fact that you were unaware of what similar positions might pay when you requested that salary. For their size company you may not be underpaid. It's really hard to tell as things can vary so much.

The most important thing is do you like your job? I've seen people leave one job for a higher paying one, only to return for his previous salary with us. I recently rehired an employee who left us for 20% more money, only to return within 2 month when he realized there is more to life than salary. We compensate not just in salary, but also in other benefits and quality of employment. Salary is not the only factor.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

You get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think its also depends on the company. When I was asked for the salary before, it was 20k lower than what they gave me. I checked the salary range of my job and state, I was offered 10k above the average. I think they are being fair and I am glad that they went for the fair salary range than what I asked for because I was trying to be too conservative and didn't check the salary range of the area I am working before giving my numbers.

You can ask for a review and re-negotiate your salary. If your re-negotiation didn't work and it's bugging you, you can start finding new work place since you have US work experience.

Edited by adiiann

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since I work in HR I can tell you no one in that department will not give you that information. It is not illegal to ask a co worker their wages however they probably wont share that. Also just because you have the same job title does not mean you will have the same pay. People in the same job can be paid different wages if there experience in the position is different. If this was OP's first job in the field then being paid less than others in the job that have been doing it longer is expected. You can check your company's job postings when they are hiring see what experience and education they are looking for and what they will be expected to do and see what the salary range is for the new hire. If you are a valued employee they will negotiate an increase with you. Word of advise if you are willing to come in a position for less then the company is offering the company will definately be happy to pay you what you are asking. When you are asked what salary range you are looking for turn it around and say I am open to negotiation and ask what is the range they are offering.

I agree, if they are prepared to pay you $50,000 a year but you only ask for $35, why would they pay you $50? And the best way to find out how much other people make is to ask them, but you have to only ask a person who you are very sure won't get offended by it. I've heard of places that have policies against sharing your pay rate with coworkers, but I'm not sure those policies are legal.

The only other option I can think of is just to ask HR or a supervisor (whoever is appropriate at your company) if there is an official wage scale for your position, and what the range is. At my company we don't post our wage scales on the wall or anything, but if someone comes and asks me what the top pay is for their position, I tell them.

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Togo
Timeline

It's been a while since I logged back in here, since it's been really a struggle to start my life all over again here in the US.

I'm a gc holder now and already have a job in a private company. Of course, coming from other country I honestly don't have much of an idea how much is the average salary as a Contract Administrator. I've been in Contracts department for 8 years now, when I left Philippines I worked at one of the best IT company.

So now my work is in a different field not related to IT at all since it's manufacturing. In my interview HR asked me how much is the salary range I wanted to get paid. My husband has a blue collar job and it has a difference of course. I based my salary based on his but now that I'm currently employed I felt I got ripped.

Is there like a law here in the US that employers should at least level the salary on the par of the position you are applying for? I was checking online there's like a 10k-20k difference on the average compared to my salary. I feel really worn out at the end of the day and feels that I'm not being paid fair....probably coz I'm from a different country and doesn't know much about the salary range in my field?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I hate feeling this way feels I'm being discriminated at some point and taken advantage of.

Sorry to hear you are underpaid,

The only law or power the government had over companies is to set the minimum wage depending on where you live.

That being said, you sit and discuss the wage with your employer and you both agree on one thing so there is no discrimination...You can keep looking for another job in your field of expertise and have a good chance of making higher wages or you talk to the employer to increase your pay...(that's ridiculous but it's a shot)

Please look at how wages vary on this link...http://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm#.UHHIsVFTBKM

Good Luck

NB:I am not an Attorney

May God Bless Us All In This New World.We All Have Come From Afar And We Need The Lord's Guidance For Success.

NB:I am not an Immigration Attorney, All i say here is based on my personal experiences through K-1 visa process and CR1/IR1 visa process.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.